Author Topic: Types of undead  (Read 2565 times)

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
Types of undead
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:45:21 PM »
So... I'm putting together an Undead game for my roleplayers. This is a personally built world, not tied to any existing IP. It is basically a gimme to one of the players who is a huge zombie apocalypse fiction fan. I'm not really, but I do enjoy the occasional zombie movie and I like the Walking Dead TV series.

Either way, I'm basing this on magic, not "viral infection" and having it follow stages as the effect grows.

What I'm looking for is ideas that I can use to build the stages. Different kinds of undead from myth, movie, or novel that could be incorporated to make it more interesting. I'd appreciate any help or discussion.

(click to show/hide)
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Types of undead
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »
You could start with the literal Ur-example, the Sumerian Gallu:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallu
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
You could start with the literal Ur-example, the Sumerian Gallu:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallu

So... from the takes I've seen from other people Gallu are snakelike undead, right? I understand that they are demons, but as far as how they'd be portrayed as an undead creature, it would be snakelike?
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline gatordave96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 12:16:01 AM »
I wonder if you might delve into the original mythos from Haiti, or trace it back even farther to Africa.  Might be cool to deviate from the "Night of the Living Dead" sort of zombie and go back to the beginning.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - D. Vader

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 01:29:05 AM »
In a way I will be. There are necromancers, voduin or otherwise. The primary baddies are going to be petro coming back in from Guinee. They are bringing the dead back as hosts when they come, using the dead spirits to raise them. I suppose there should be some good spirits that come back too, like the Ghede. Maybe we got some good guy zombies in there. Not too much, since me and the players want this to be a survival epic, but enough to make the shoot first approach suck in its way.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:52:49 AM »
Just make sure not to call them Necromancers unless all they do is ask questions of the dead.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
Just make sure not to call them Necromancers unless all they do is ask questions of the dead.

Although the literal meaning of Necromancy has to do with divination by talking to the dead, it has become pretty well accepted in fantasy and horror to use the term for any magic that has to do with the dead including zombies, liches, mummies and such like.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
Although the literal meaning of Necromancy has to do with divination by talking to the dead, it has become pretty well accepted in fantasy and horror to use the term for any magic that has to do with the dead including zombies, liches, mummies and such like.

Still a pet peeve.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »
I understand. I have several (pronouncing caramel as carmel for instance) my friends just sigh for the most part and ask me to please put away the soap box when I'm done with it.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
So... with that pet peeve, do you get upset whenever Dresden talks about pyromancy, ectomancy, or halfadozenothersomancy?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 05:34:44 AM »
So... with that pet peeve, do you get upset whenever Dresden talks about pyromancy, ectomancy, or halfadozenothersomancy?

Slightly if I think about it too much rather than just glance over it, but then I imagine the senior council getting drunk, playing D&D and then deciding to change the terms to those and it goes away.

Rest in peace mdodd.