Author Topic: Spells that cause power-like effects  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Spells that cause power-like effects
« on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:37 PM »
Anyone have any rules or seen any discussion on casting spells that cause power-like effects. For instance casting a spell that would grant supernatural speed, or would grant claws, or give someone the echoes of the beast abilities.

Anything would be great. Thanks

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Spells that cause power-like effects
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
Have you gone over the temporary power rules?  Generally the spellcasting supplies the trappings to make using those reasonable. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:16:47 PM »
That is to say Thaumaturgy does. Without a sponsored magic, this sort of thing is well outside the realm of Evocation.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:41:21 PM »
There's a discussion on how to do this here. It eventually drifts off into a more general Thaumaturgy discussion, but stays on-topic for more than long enough to present the various viewpoints on this.

Short version:

Take yourself (or whoever you're powering up) out via Thaumaturgy, then use the temporary power rules on p.92. Several people (including myself and the creators of the game) feel you can use Tags acquired in spellcasting instead of FP to pay for these, but the RAW are debatable on this point. Rules discussion on this is p. 283.

Evocation can't do this...if you want such a thing readily available, buy the power. If you want to be able to shuffle powers on the fly, 2 points of Modular Abilities with Feeding Dependency (Magical Energy) is only -3 Refresh.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:05:04 AM »
Some methods of doing this don't actually require you to take the target out, thats primarily for Transformation mechanisms of granting powers. For instance, it may be feasible to Conjure Wings, Claws or full up Exoskeleton.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 12:08:53 AM »
Some methods of doing this don't actually require you to take the target out, thats primarily for Transformation mechanisms of granting powers. For instance, it may be feasible to Conjure Wings, Claws or full up Exoskeleton.

True, but these would act as equipment, not Powers per se. And I would thus be very skeptical of conjuring functional wings.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
Well, the reason I ask is I am trying to make a Chronomancer who has Kronos as his sponsor. I wanted to be able to do some time altering stuff for his magics and I didnt really know how to map his spells out and what they would cost.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 12:59:03 AM »
Well, the reason I ask is I am trying to make a Chronomancer who has Kronos as his sponsor. I wanted to be able to do some time altering stuff for his magics and I didnt really know how to map his spells out and what they would cost.

Uh...what do his spells do? I mean, the source of his power is an interesting note, but certainly doesn't tell us what the spells do or what they should cost. Time dilation stuff would probably grant Speed powers (and maybe Recovery Powers) if it were granting Powers...but it might just as easily be handled in other, non-power granting ways. What are you trying to achieve?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »
I suggest you take whatever Powers you intend to grant regularly, and attach Human Form or Limitation or Magical Self-Enhancement to them. It's easy and effective.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:41:40 AM »
I suggest you take whatever Powers you intend to grant regularly, and attach Human Form or Limitation or Magical Self-Enhancement to them. It's easy and effective.

This is a good suggestion. Feeding Restriction (Magical Energy) can also help defray costs, if you wish.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
I wanted to be able to do a few things. Those suggestions are great btw. I was looking into possibly doing some healing to others by basically speeding up the local time or slowing down their location time so that they dont bleed out at fast or whatever.

Was figuring that he would be a clock maker and that his workshop would be time distorted so that time would go by slower when in the workshop as opposed to the actual shop so that it appears that he is able to fix things faster than normal. Though this may be just thematic.

One of the things that I wanted to be able to do (and let me know if this is possible) is do a zonewide attack that would slow down the actions of my enemies, basically granting my allies speed powers or downgrading enemies speed powers or something else entirely.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »
I wanted to be able to do a few things. Those suggestions are great btw. I was looking into possibly doing some healing to others by basically speeding up the local time or slowing down their location time so that they dont bleed out at fast or whatever.

Was figuring that he would be a clock maker and that his workshop would be time distorted so that time would go by slower when in the workshop as opposed to the actual shop so that it appears that he is able to fix things faster than normal. Though this may be just thematic.

One of the things that I wanted to be able to do (and let me know if this is possible) is do a zonewide attack that would slow down the actions of my enemies, basically granting my allies speed powers or downgrading enemies speed powers or something else entirely.
A lot of that can just be done through maneuvers and tagging for effect, honestly, if it's a temporary thing.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »
True. I always forget that most of the things you do are flavor text for practically the same effect. "well i slowed everyone down so i get +2 to defend"

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
Another option might be Blocking one or more individuals from taking any actions for a round, as they are slowed down too much to act until the next round.

But yeah, Maneuvers are pretty much the way to do such effects, for the most part.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
I was looking into possibly doing some healing to others by basically speeding up the local time or slowing down their location time so that they dont bleed out at fast or whatever.

Reiki Healing, Scholarship skill replacement, maneuver, canonical temporary Power-granting, healing-related custom Power, Magical Self-Enhancement with the upgrade attached to a Recovery Power.

That's all the options I can think of. They'd all work, but you might have balance problems with some of 'em.

Maneuver, or highly complex uber-spell.

Maneuver, block, canonical temporary Power-granting (you have evothaum, right?), or Magical Self-Enhancement with the upgrade attached to a Speed Power and cast as a spray spell.

Or maybe you could have your buddies take Speed Powers with Limitation or Human Form that stops them from using it unless you cast a spell. Actually maybe something like that could work for the healing too.