Author Topic: Mavra is Morgana le Fay by grandPanjandrum (CD Spoilers)  (Read 15209 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Re: Mavra is Morgana le Fay by grandPanjandrum (CD Spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »
I just can't see any way that having black court instead of black council would make any sense at all. I cannot recall a single instance where Harry finds any shred of a connection between his mother and the black court in any of the books. It makes so much more sense for him to be talking about the black council.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 06:56:42 AM »
I just can't see any way that having black court instead of black council would make any sense at all. I cannot recall a single instance where Harry finds any shred of a connection between his mother and the black court in any of the books. It makes so much more sense for him to be talking about the black council.

its in the deep backstory, the black court war is likely what caused the formation of the black council
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 07:12:48 AM »
You are a vampire. You try to shift suspicions sonewhere else.  ;D

There is another similar case with stokers book where some people initially thought white council in stead of white court. But it made sense later.

Harry sometimes has flashes of insight. Foresight maybe. I think it was more based on vague feelings than anything else but as a wizard you have to take these feelings seriously.

It is one of those vague clues that are everywhere in the books. You can build a theory on it. Or go for one that is already proposed.

its in the deep backstory, the black court war is likely what caused the formation of the black council
Yes, that one  :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »

Isn't that your own theory? I mean, it's a great theory but it isn't directly stated in the books. I haven't seen anyone else float a notion like that either so the clues must be pretty deep. Harry certainly hasn't thought of anything like that.

You are a vampire. You try to shift suspicions sonewhere else.  ;D

There is another similar case with stokers book where some people initially thought white council in stead of white court. But it made sense later.

Harry sometimes has flashes of insight. Foresight maybe. I think it was more based on vague feelings than anything else but as a wizard you have to take these feelings seriously.

It is one of those vague clues that are everywhere in the books. You can build a theory on it. Or go for one that is already proposed.
Yes, that one  :)

You mean his wizard precognition that he learned about in Turn Coat (I think)?

Eh, even taking that into account I think it's a little too weak to built a theory on. I'm going to wait for more evidence.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »
Count, you've been over in the thread about suspcts for SF-FM-BR, right? Grandpanj....(crap, forgot the rest of his/her name) put forth a fairly convincing discussion of Mavra's action behind the scenes , which to me has opened up possible implications for the Black Court  being way more involved than I was thinking...

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 09:55:18 AM »
Count, you've been over in the thread about suspcts for SF-FM-BR, right? Grandpanj....(crap, forgot the rest of his/her name) put forth a fairly convincing discussion of Mavra's action behind the scenes , which to me has opened up possible implications for the Black Court  being way more involved than I was thinking...

To my thinking, it's basically useless to talk about the black court as a whole when theorizing.

You've got to remember that there really aren't many advantages for a black court vamp to ally with other black court vamps nowadays. Back when there was a huge black court alliance lots of the members had control over other members. Nowadays two black court who meet have to trust each other just like they would to any other species they chose to ally with. There's also the fact that BC vamps have to feed a LOT. Doubling (tripling, quadrupling etc) is really not a good idea because it will probably convince the local supes to come down on you. hard (remember that Harry was obligated as a wizard of the WC to destroy the BC nest of one master vamp).

There really aren't many advantages for BC vamps allying with each other over other supernatural beings. The BC vamps that survived the Stokerpolpse are going to be doing there own things. They probably wouldn't care about what another BC vamp was doing unless it impacted them in some way.

GP's theory's are very interesting but even if true, don't really imply that the BC as a whole are involved just because one member is. There's also the fact that GP doesn't mention anything regarding Mavra and mama Dresden.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
Isn't that your own theory? I mean, it's a great theory but it isn't directly stated in the books. I haven't seen anyone else float a notion like that either so the clues must be pretty deep. Harry certainly hasn't thought of anything like that.

Eh, even taking that into account I think it's a little too weak to built a theory on. I'm going to wait for more evidence.
You are waiting for evidence before building your theory? :o

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »

yes, its mine, but all the evindence..and there is quite a bit..is in the woj. Jim just keeps mentioning the black court, over and over again..and hes been doing it since before there was a forum.

its like hes realy proud of it or something ;)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32663.0.html

check out the 'lobecraft' 'gothic vampires' and .marci' threads there

then hit the woj, serach for black court- not just the pieces in the index, there is a lot more..and enjoy.

maybe i missed something :)

as to if its a mistake.. as JIm said ' im a lazy writer. i wouldnt have put that much work into them if i wasnt going to use them.'
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »
yes, its mine, but all the evindence..and there is quite a bit..is in the woj. Jim just keeps mentioning the black court, over and over again..and hes been doing it since before there was a forum.

its like hes realy proud of it or something ;)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32663.0.html

check out the 'lobecraft' 'gothic vampires' and .marci' threads there

then hit the woj, serach for black court- not just the pieces in the index, there is a lot more..and enjoy.

maybe i missed something :)

as to if its a mistake.. as JIm said ' im a lazy writer. i wouldnt have put that much work into them if i wasnt going to use them.'

I can't think of any references towards the Black Court that wasn't in response to a question (which don't really count since it's not him that really choosing to reference them) and in a few short stories (the number of references towards White Court and Red Court vamps still far outweigh those though). He mentions the Black Court because people ask him about the Black Court (or they ask questions that require him to mention the Black Court). I searched the entire WoJ compilation and 5 topics below the stickies section but couldn't find anything more. I would be thankful if you could give me a link.

I have actually looked at those threads you mentioned previously. The thing is though, that I don't feel you have enough evidence to say that Mavra wants the Black Court back to it's former power or that the other remnants of the Black Court are all banding together. I find it very plausible that Mavra is part of the Circle/BC/possibly Nemesis infected but I just don't see much evidence for the remnants of the Black Court being involved too (see my previous post as to why).

These are the only parts of your theories that I can see having a leg to stand on in regards to the resurrection of the Black Court Elders are the Fomor collecting magically rich blood and the Kemmler connection. These are still however, only two speculative parts of theories. It's not nearly enough to convince me.

I'm also still confused as to WHY she wants to bring the Elders back. I mean, if your theory is true than it's not like Mavra is wanting for powerful allies. If the reason she wants to bring them back is because of some secret they hold instead of their power than how much good could that secret really do? It didn't help the Black Court when they were at the height of their power so why would it help them now?

Also remember that Jim specifically says that everyone resented how powerful the black had become. Why would the other members of the alliance ally with Mavra and go along with her plan to ressurect the BC Elders?

Really, I think that Jim has put far more work into both the RC and WC instead of the BC.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
I can't think of any references towards the Black Court that wasn't in response to a question (which don't really count since it's not him that really choosing to reference them) and in a few short stories (the number of references towards White Court and Red Court vamps still far outweigh those though). He mentions the Black Court because people ask him about the Black Court (or they ask questions that require him to mention the Black Court). I searched the entire WoJ compilation and 5 topics below the stickies section but couldn't find anything more. I would be thankful if you could give me a link.

I have actually looked at those threads you mentioned previously. The thing is though, that I don't feel you have enough evidence to say that Mavra wants the Black Court back to it's former power or that the other remnants of the Black Court are all banding together. I find it very plausible that Mavra is part of the Circle/BC/possibly Nemesis infected but I just don't see much evidence for the remnants of the Black Court being involved too (see my previous post as to why).

These are the only parts of your theories that I can see having a leg to stand on in regards to the resurrection of the Black Court Elders are the Fomor collecting magically rich blood and the Kemmler connection. These are still however, only two speculative parts of theories. It's not nearly enough to convince me.

I'm also still confused as to WHY she wants to bring the Elders back. I mean, if your theory is true than it's not like Mavra is wanting for powerful allies. If the reason she wants to bring them back is because of some secret they hold instead of their power than how much good could that secret really do? It didn't help the Black Court when they were at the height of their power so why would it help them now?

Also remember that Jim specifically says that everyone resented how powerful the black had become. Why would the other members of the alliance ally with Mavra and go along with her plan to ressurect the BC Elders?

Really, I think that Jim has put far more work into both the RC and WC instead of the BC.

hmm..

the first any of us ever heard about the black court elders at all was in 2009, in a post about Mab:

Hmmm.  In terms of pure, raw power, several who have appeared or been mentioned in the books could pull it off, though neither side would really "win" as much as "continue to exist."  Plus, the sudden absence of Mab would do freaking HIDEOUS things to the earth.  But here's who has the necessary horsepower do it:

o   Titania--though it would be a coin toss.  Almost literally.
o   The Mothers (who wouldn't)
o   The White Council.  As in, ALL the White Council.  Every wizard on the planet.  And they'd need her Name.
o   Drakul.
o   Ferrovax.
o   The Red Court--again, ALL the Red Court, though their odds wouldn't be good.
o   The entire White Court--very, very long odds on that, but if they actually pulled it off, whoever took Mab would effectively control her power.
o   Cowl (if the Darkhallow had succeeded).
o   A union of the old Elders of the Black Court.  They were freaking scary until the Whites arranged to have them hounded down by mortals.

All of that, of course, assumes that Mab is standing there alone, outside of Faerie, and not commanding an entire nation, literally millions and millions and millions of nightmarish creatures of every description.  Which she does.

There's a REASON that when Mab said, "Sign these Accords and abide by them," people listened.

which did cause a few questions that year:

4. if the elders of the black court could have taken mab, then HOW ON EARTH did any mere force of humans manage to go up and stake them? i mean, they should've wiped out anything that was coming after them if they can take on MAB herself...just a thought

Power in the spirit world isn't the same thing as power in the material world.  And a one-on-thirtyish fight (Mab vs the elders of the BC) is WAY different than a one-on-20,000 fight (a BC vampire against a modest mortal city).  Especially when the 20,000 know what your weaknesses are, and how to kill you with them. Smiley  And that's assuming that you don't have a saint, or an independent wizard, or a shaman, a Knight of the Cross or some other champion, or other spiritual allies on your side which was not uncommon. Hell, for that matter, you might well be aided by vampires from the other Courts.  *Everyone* resented how powerful the Blacks had become.

(and shouldn't the black court be the most numerous? in blood rites, ebenezer mentioned after a few weeks, there would be dozens or even hundreds of vamps, so y don't the black court vamps just settle down in africa or india and start biting away?)Nukes.

You get all /that/ assertive, and you risk stirring mortals into awareness.  And we monkeys are /dangerous/ in large groups, especially with all our ferromancy (technology). 
There's also a psychological issue on behalf of the vampires.  Bear in mind that evolution made a pretty brutal selection among the Black Court.  The ones who survived and prospered were those who avoided notice, respected the potential danger mortals represented, and who were generally quick to leave town rather than charge into a confrontation.
In any personal-scale conflict, a mature BC vamp is gonna tear holes through any mortal or White Court vampire.  But the mortals started cheating, and doing all their fighting in angry mobs, and creating weapons that were ridiculously overpowered for the job of killing one another which could actually inconvenience, wound, or even kill a BC vamp.  Murphy did all right in that BC nest, because she had allies, appropriate weapons and (most importantly) knowledge and a plan.

now thos wasnt in answer to a question at all, he just chimed in a thread about the white court:

Die of syphilis?  God, no, man.  Stoker was the cutout.

The BC didn't /know/ about the WC's involvement until well after the fact, at which point it was entirely academic.  The BC who are left survive because they are extremely pragmatic.  They don't have enough trouble surviving /without/ picking a fight with the entire White Court, who will only send the peasants and pitchforks anyway?  If one needs to vent one's spleen, one does it on hapless mortals, preferably those no one will miss.

The BC who wanted to get all ballsy about Just Vengeance died in the fifties and sixties, culminating in the heyday of the Hammer films.

(now let me put out total word count of things Jim has just chimed in on for the blacks is now double about that for the whites, and infinite more than that about the reds- cause they got zero. in fact, the reds dont even have a section in the woj.)

oh, and here is jim just chiming in again.. without being asked..in a thread about using the word on mavra

Harry wasn't bluffing. 

and then theres all the little details issue. not just lash's last words- which are a very common trope in pulp mystery by the way ( the girl runs up to the detective  " harvey, i know who shot the predsident! It was Mr. Sanp.." <bang! Bang! she falls dead.> "noooooo!")(then the detecive spends four books trying to find Mr. Snap.. snape? snapple? snappdragon?) but also:

-the merlin saying harry has no idea how bad it can get
-what happened on the isle in 1890
-who the last warden was
-why the whites betrayed the blacks, and how
-what mavra was up to in GP, BR, DB
-why eb dropped all those Nukes in the late 19th century
- what was the secret dinner (very likely in 1890) about

etc,etc,etc.. something very majoir happened back then

im not the only one  putting this together. yall can put the pieces any way you want , please do. But the black court is up to something; thats why when somone else asked JIm if they were, he snarked

"im too lazy a writer to put this much work into them if I wasnt going to use them."

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2012, 03:02:40 PM »
hmm..

the first any of us ever heard about the black court elders at all was in 2009, in a post about Mab:

which did cause a few questions that year:

now thos wasnt in answer to a question at all, he just chimed in a thread about the white court:

(now let me put out total word count of things Jim has just chimed in on for the blacks is now double about that for the whites, and infinite more than that about the reds- cause they got zero. in fact, the reds dont even have a section in the woj.)

oh, and here is jim just chiming in again.. without being asked..in a thread about using the word on mavra

and then theres all the little details issue. not just lash's last words- which are a very common trope in pulp mystery by the way ( the girl runs up to the detective  " harvey, i know who shot the predsident! It was Mr. Sanp.." <bang! Bang! she falls dead.> "noooooo!")(then the detecive spends four books trying to find Mr. Snap.. snape? snapple? snappdragon?) but also:

-the merlin saying harry has no idea how bad it can get
-what happened on the isle in 1890
-who the last warden was
-why the whites betrayed the blacks, and how
-what mavra was up to in GP, BR, DB
-why eb dropped all those Nukes in the late 19th century
- what was the secret dinner (very likely in 1890) about

etc,etc,etc.. something very majoir happened back then

im not the only one  putting this together. yall can put the pieces any way you want , please do. But the black court is up to something; thats why when somone else asked JIm if they were, he snarked

"im too lazy a writer to put this much work into them if I wasnt going to use them."

I ignored the post about Mab because I didn't really see it helping the Black Court case all that much. He also mentions a bunch of other beings so it's not like he's specially mentioning the Black Court. Really, I see it as him seeing an opportunity to show people why everyone hated the Black Court so much.

I'm ignoring Jim answering questions because he has too. I mean, if someone asks something like: Can a Black Court vamp survive having his arm blown off? How is he going to answer that without mentioning the Black Court? If he answers questions about the Black Court over and over again, that doesn't point to anything except the fans being interested in the Black Court. Heck, if he wanted to use the BC Elders or the BC remnants further along in the books than it would have been more effective to be vague instead of going into so much detail. Leaving it to people to fill in the blanks themselves would get people more excited for the appearance of the Black Court.

When Jim posted in the WC thread he wasn't just throwing out BC tidbits. He was replying to critiques of his writing. If someone said something like "Why is Eb not murdering Lord Raith for killing Maggie" then Jim would reply to that. The subject matter doesn't matter (heh).

If you include the word count from the books (which is what I was doing. Sorry for the miscommunication) the mentions of the RC and the WC dwarfs mentions of the BC.

I think you may have something with the Mavra mention. A counter is that Jim did it because the information wasn't plot relevant and so he felt no need to keep quiet. It's like if someone . This would actually make it more likely that Harry threatening Mavra is not plot relevant (or else why would Jim just hop in and say something so straightforward? It would make more sense to let the mystery build up like he did with countless other plot-relevant mysteries)

It wasn't Lash's last words in which the Black Court were mentioned. It was Harry's words. That is a huge difference. How the heck does Harry know about the (supposed) connection between his mother and the Black Court? The only explanation I can think up is his wizardly precognition  subconsciously influencing him.

We know why the Whites betrayed (how do you know they were allied in the first place?) and how they got rid of them  ???. They got rid of them because the Blacks were getting too powerful. They got rid of them by getting Stoker to right Dracula.

The rest of the stuff can fit a huge number of other explanations. The Black Court explanation is just a drop in a pool.

I can't find that last WoJ. Can I get a link/quote?

wizard nelson

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
mavra IS after thomas for a betrayal btw...

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2012, 04:05:12 PM »
its lost, sorry

but its real. other folks remeber it... Serrack thinks its from a vidoe that gotten messed up, he wa slooking for it and a few others from that book talk a few weeks back.

as to what harry knows and what he doesnt know, well he doesnt tell us everything.

as to the import, let me look at it annother way:

as of WN, Jim had betas- Shecky and Priscellie at least- and they read each chapter as its written. they then edit, respond, sugest rewrites. then the completed product goes to the agent, and then on to the editors.. who all do the same.

soemthing like that? an of say 20 people who saw it before publishing, no one noticed? and of the ten million people who read it, then no one mentioned it so it could be corrected in the paperback?

yea, its a real clue bat.  ;D

and while Mavra hasnt had a lot written about her in the books, she:

- set up biance in GP
-helped start the war
-did it in such a fashion at to prepare chicago for DB, four years later
- set up a compext plot in BR
-its very possible she was in town to set up the assination of lord raith, her old enemy
- took photos with which to black mail harry, before anyone knew about the word
- set up a very complex scheme in DB, for reasons we dont fully know

thats a lot of backstory, count

wizard nelson

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
as of WN, Jim had betas- Shecky and Priscellie at least- and they read each chapter as its written. they then edit, respond, sugest rewrites. then the completed product goes to the agent, and then on to the editors.. who all do the same.

soemthing like that? an of say 20 people who saw it before publishing, no one noticed? and of the ten million people who read it, then no one mentioned it so it could be corrected in the paperback?
what precisely are you referring to?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2012, 04:12:12 PM »
what precisely are you referring to?

we are discussing the line in wn, pg 364

"after which we were going to have a long talk about my mother and these outsiders and there relation to the black court and exactly what the hell was going on."