Author Topic: Question for authors: Have you written lately?  (Read 9460 times)

Offline skaoi

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Question for authors: Have you written lately?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 01:45:06 AM »
For the past few months, I've been writing a story, in form of blog posts, on another website that I am a member of.

My co-writer and I are doing the same thing.  We actually created our site because we didn't want to play by someone else's rules...censorship.  Are we allowed to exchange addresses here?  I'm curious how other folks are doing it.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »
I write 2000 words a day, rain or shine, sick or well.

How do you get the motivation/time to do this every single day?  I have a very sensitive Muse.  Anything can send her away pouting.  I know it's better to show up every day at about the same time, so the Muse knows where to find you instead of just clunking around and waiting for her to track you down...but damn it's tough.

I like writing late night, like 10pm and after.  But I can't do that during the week because I work at 8am.  And after work my brain is kind of fried and I just want to chill out. 

For a while I had a good routine of writing immediately after work...not even going home to give myself the chance to fall asleep on the couch.  At 5pm I'd just head straight to Borders or Perkins (usually Borders) and write until the store closed.  I was getting a chapter a day in like that.  And two chapters a day on weekends, because I'd get to Borders when the store opened, and stay there all day long.

I'm having a problem getting back into that.  It got thrown off because of shifting hours at work.  Now my cycle is all out of whack.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Tasmin21

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • On Literary Intent
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 10:16:07 PM »
I finally kicked a four-week writing drought today and wrote an entire chapter for my urban fantasy project.  Huzzah!

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 12:06:44 AM »
How do you get the motivation/time to do this every single day?  I have a very sensitive Muse.  Anything can send her away pouting.  I know it's better to show up every day at about the same time, so the Muse knows where to find you instead of just clunking around and waiting for her to track you down...but

The first thing you have to accept is that not everything you write is going to be good. Some of it isn't even going to be worth keeping. That's not the point of a daily quota: the point is the discipline, the habit, and creating a dedicated daily space just for writing.
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale