Author Topic: The Red Court Lives....sort of (Spoilers Changes, GS, and CD)  (Read 19462 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Re: The Red Court Lives....sort of (Spoilers Changes, GS, and CD)
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 06:51:34 AM »
It's stated quite clearly that the Red King was the originator of his entire species. The curse was set up as a line curse: youngest of a line to oldest. Susan was the youngest vampire and therefore the line curse went all the way up to the oldest Red King wiping out his entire line. There would be no RC without the King and no taint. Otherwise please re-read the final chapters of Changes again. It's all quite clearly stated by Harry in the aftermath of Susan's death.

Actually, never mind. I need to reread Changes again, I'm getting confused on the details of the bloodline curse...
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 07:01:39 AM »
Um. What is it you think im not comprehending? Susan was a half vamp. She gave birth to Maggie. Therefore, at best, Maggie received only a portion of vampire-ness, if such a thing is hereditary in RCV, which we have no textual evidence to support, that Im aware of. Please point me to it if I missed something.  Susan became a full vamp then was killed. Her death not only killed full vamps, but killed the vamp portion of half vamps younger than her, as noted in Changes at the pages I quoted. Therefore, even if Maggie inherited some portion of vampirness from her mother, she, like all partial vamps youunger than Susan, would have this burned out of her upon Susan's death. Therefore, TheCuriousFan was right. Where does my logic fall apart? 

Offline kalinowt

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »
it never says this is because he died, i got the book in my lap.. again arianna was to have him killed anyways..

I think you have built a theory around Maggie and you are having a tough time letting it go. I can only go by what's written in the book and I have told you that already. Re-read it again and see if you feel the same way after. :)
"For it is the doom of men that they forget."

Offline catnip13

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 07:05:06 AM »
2your reading it wrong, her moment of 'birth' was when she killed martin... already said this..

Ok, in that case Maggie's purported infection is older than Susan's and therefor susceptible to the curse.

wizard nelson

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »
Ok, in that case Maggie's purported infection is older than Susan's and therefor susceptible to the curse.
your ignoring my supposition. maggie doesn't have a demon inside, nothing to kill... its a bit of energy. halflings have the hunger demon as per lea lulling it to sleep... can no one follow my logic? i'll try to explain, but yes it is based off some theoretical stuff, nothing you've said has directly circumvented it though.... i've rebuffed a few things as false actually.
give me few numbered problems with my theory, its easier if i know were your confused
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:11:18 AM by wizard nelson »

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
You say Lea lulled Susan and Martin's demon half to sleep. So you agree Susan had demon in her when she gave birth to Maggie. But you argued that Maggie had no demon, no vampireness in her to get burned out when Susan died and her death killed all remnants of the red court vampires. So no, im not following your logic. You propose Susan being half vampire is somehow important for Maggie, yet you claim that everything vampire-y being killed of somehow wont be affected in Maggie. ?

Offline catnip13

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 07:21:51 AM »
I'm not confused, I just completely disagree with your premise.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 07:25:44 AM »
Can I get a quote on Mab lulling their demon halves to sleep (I don't have my books with me)? I do remember something like that but I'd like to see the exact wording.
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

wizard nelson

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 07:27:45 AM »
You say Lea lulled Susan and Martin's demon half to sleep. So you agree Susan had demon in her when she gave birth to Maggie. But you argued that Maggie had no demon, no vampireness in her to get burned out when Susan died and her death killed all remnants of the red court vampires. So no, im not following your logic. You propose Susan being half vampire is somehow important for Maggie, yet you claim that everything vampire-y being killed of somehow wont be affected in Maggie. ?
the curse killed the actual demons inside the halflings, my supposition is that maggie had no demon to kill ergo wouldn't be directly effected BUT she could still have something different about her eg slightly faster, stronger, ect.

catnip13:I'm not confused, I just completely disagree with your premise

Offline kytheros

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 07:29:44 AM »
Can I get a quote on Mab lulling their demon halves to sleep (I don't have my books with me)? I do remember something like that but I'd like to see the exact wording.
Lea did that ...
“What did you do to them?”
“I lulled their predator spirit to sleep,” she said calmly. “Poor lambs. They didn’t realize how much strength they drew from it. Mayhap this will prove a useful lesson.”
I frowned at that. “You mean… the vampire part of them?”
“Of course.”
Changes, chapter 15.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »

Quote from: Chapter 15 of Changes
I looked up at my godmother. Mister was sprawled in her lap on his back, luxuriating as she traced her long nails over his chest and tummy. His purr throbbed continuously through the room. "What did you do to them?"

"I lulled their predator spirit to sleep," she said calmly. "Poor lambs. They didn't realize how much strength they drew from it. Mayhap this will prove a useful lesson."

I frowned at that. "You mean . . . the vampire part of them?"

"Of course."

I sat there for a moment, stunned.

If the vampire infection within half vampires like Susan and Martin could be enchanted to sleep, then it was presumably possible to do other things to it as well. Suppress it, maybe permanently.

It might even be possible to destroy it.

EDIT: Damn ninjas.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 07:33:46 AM »
The lulling to sleep part happens earlier in Changes when he finds Lea in his apartment. In the hardback edition its on page 107. Its chapter 15. What she actually says is that she lulls their predator spirit to sleep.

wizard nelson

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 07:35:47 AM »
sooo...? yea number up some logical holes in my theory... its sound, if only a theory :P

Are we going to see more of Maggie and is she a witch?
We WILL see more of Maggie and (sing-song voice) I’m not gonna tell yooooou.  But yeah, she’s definitely going to be a part of what’s going on.
 that singsong thing makes me think maggie ain't run of the mill 'witch'. its were this all originated btw
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:38:15 AM by wizard nelson »

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
I find it slightly disturbing that 3 of us nearly immediately posted the exact page and quotation of a random thing from the books at 12:30 on Friday night.

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2012, 07:45:07 AM »
I am with Nelson on this one (mostly).

The curse killed the vampire curse/spirit/demon/whatever that was in all of the vampires (including the half vampires).

It started with the young vampires and worked its way up to the Red King.  It wasn't a matter of the Red King being killed and thus all of his coven dying instantly - the curse was like a chain reaction that ran through the entire species from youngest to oldest.

I have no idea if the child of a half-vampire would have any connection to the predator spirit or not.  White Court vampires (like Inari) have a connection to the hunger spirit even before they kill someone and cement the bond.  It was never made clear what happened when Inari had sex with someone she loved before her first kill and thus avoided becoming a full WCV.