Author Topic: Mechanical Preview?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline NutJobismyJob

• Conversationalist
  • So crazy I just might work
    • View Profile
Mechanical Preview?
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:19:44 PM »
Hey everyone, I've never played the DFRPG before, but I'm an avid fan of both the Dresden Files novels and tabletop gaming.  I can be pretty picky about my game systems though, so I usually like to be able to look through the rules, or at least a significant preview thereof, before making a purchase, especially when they carry as hefty of a price tag as the DFRPG does.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find such previews for the DFRPG, and my local gaming shops don't seem to carry it, so I don't have the opportunity to look through the books.  I understand that it's based on the Fate system, which is itself based on the Fudge system, but that whole relationship is somewhat confusing to me, especially taking into account the multiple editions and separate games based off the same system.  Furthermore, I really would like to see how they handled some of the Dresdenverse specific stuff (magic, character races, monsters, etc.) I've checked out Evil Hat's website and looked at some of the preview articles they posted in the run-up to the game's release, but most of those seem to be story-focused, and what mechanics there are rely on specific knowledge of the Fate system, which I lack.

The long and short of this wall of text is if anyone could post a link or instructions on how to find some sort of preview or overview of the DFRPG or the specific version of the Fate system off of which it is based, I would greatly appreciate it. 
DV V1.2 BK++  RP  JB  TH+  WG++  BC+  MC----  SH [Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Preview?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
If I remember correctly, fate itself is under open GL and can be found on the fate website:
http://www.faterpg.com/

There is also a great post that has a detailed sample combat. It does not exactly explain the rules as such, but you can see them in action. You should probably read through them on the fate website first and then have a look at this.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,20530.0.html
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »
More specifically, the Spirit of the Century rules can be found here: http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html

They're not exactly the same as DFRPG, but close enough to get a feel for things.  The biggest difference is DFRPG's mechanical trade-off between free will (represented by available refresh & fate points) and power (represented by stunts, powers, etc.).  Essentially, if you've got ten refresh, you can permanently spend up to nine of that on powers/stunts/etc., but doing so means you start the game with only a single fate point.  (Or if you spend six, you start with four fate points, etc.)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
Yeah, SotC, though made for a very different genre (the DFRPG is vastly more deadly, for example) does give a good rundown of the basics on how the system works.

If you want something even closer, you can check out FATE Core at the FATE Core kickstarter which is even closer, system-wise, and while not free, can be acquired (more or less immediately) for as little as 1$ if you wish.

Or, better yet, under Resources on the FATE website, you can find a 'genericized' version of most of the DFRPG sans supernatural powers and how they work (which is simple and awesome) a few samples of which are even available in the downloads section, if you grab the free sample adventures (all of which have several pre-made characters and the rules for their specific powers).

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 12:31:14 AM »
You haven't dropped by http://www.evilhat.com/home/dresden-files-rpg-downloads/ then you should.  It has links that explain the magic system, character creation, combat, etc.  It also has three intro adventures.

And while I posted a link to this thread recently, the description at http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22372.msg966827.html#msg966827 gives a half page summary of the game system (after giving a summary about the world).

The biggest difference between FATE and most other TT games is that the players add to and (in some respect) control the game as much as the GM does.  If the PCs are looking for clues then the players can roll and Declare they've found a clue that points to blah - as long as it doesn't contradict something already in play and the GM's cool with it then they found that clue.  And the clue will point to the real murderer - even if the GM thought that someone else did it.

One of the Case File bits linked above is called Neutral Grounds - and it works like that.  The plot kit defines who the murderer is but says that if the player declare and assess evidence that points to someone else then the GM changes who the killer is.

Hope this helps!

Richard

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »
Hey everyone, I've never played the DFRPG before, but I'm an avid fan of both the Dresden Files novels and tabletop gaming.  I can be pretty picky about my game systems though, so I usually like to be able to look through the rules, or at least a significant preview thereof, before making a purchase, especially when they carry as hefty of a price tag as the DFRPG does.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find such previews for the DFRPG, and my local gaming shops don't seem to carry it, so I don't have the opportunity to look through the books. 
Here's a review.  There are a variety of free FATE systems out there, just search "free fate rpg" or use one of the links previous posters provided.  For an overview of the magic check out Rick Neal's blog which has an excellent sever part tutorial.

I understand that it's based on the Fate system, which is itself based on the Fudge system, but that whole relationship is somewhat confusing to me, especially taking into account the multiple editions and separate games based off the same system.  Furthermore, I really would like to see how they handled some of the Dresdenverse specific stuff (magic, character races, monsters, etc.) I've checked out Evil Hat's website and looked at some of the preview articles they posted in the run-up to the game's release, but most of those seem to be story-focused, and what mechanics there are rely on specific knowledge of the Fate system, which I lack.

The long and short of this wall of text is if anyone could post a link or instructions on how to find some sort of preview or overview of the DFRPG or the specific version of the Fate system off of which it is based, I would greatly appreciate it.
The system itself (FATE) is based on three subsystems - Aspects, Skills, and Stunts. Skills and stunts are much like skills and abilities in any game, they model actions within the context of the world. Stunts are typically more powerful than skills and, in DFRPG's case, are how powers are built.  Aspects are where The system branches from the familiar (for most).

Aspects can be used for mechanical bonuses which still falls into familiar territory. However they can also be used to affect the game's narrative as it forms - this is the departure from what you're used to.  Aspects are really player mechanics and not character mechanics. The character doesn't need to know something for it to affect the story. Take a Sprained Ankle as an example. Your character may or may not know the NPC has a sprained ankle, but when it comes to a chase, that aspect becomes important and affects the narrative - it allows your PC to get away. Or to catch up with the NPC...whichever is appropriate.  Similarly, much of the aspect mechanics are more about allowing players to manipulate the narrative than allowing characters to accomplish something.

The next thing to know about FATE is "everything can be treated as a character". A city has aspects as a character does and in some situations may even have skills or a stress track. A fire may also be modeled as a character - attacking (spreading and burning) everything around it. An organization may be a character complete with stress tracks...and potentially destroyable if you can cause enough stress and consequences (FUD or truth).

DF is very magic / wizard oriented which should be expected given its source.  This can make for unbalanced game play if you concentrate too much on the mechanics.  Creative use of aspects is how less mechanically powerful characters stay competitive...if they do...

They game isn't perfect but I enjoy it anyway!  It's become one of two "go to" systems.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:40:00 AM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 12:45:57 AM »
I'd argue several of UmbraLux's specific points (Skills are at least as cool as Stunts, fire or a city have Aspects but usually not a Stress track or other stats, and characters with powers like superhuman strength or speed are very much still on par with wizards in most games)...but that's still a good general overview.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »
Skills and Stunts aren't really directly comparable...I'll try a summary of my own.

Skills are your capabilities and advantages. Stuff like your physical strength and how much money you have. Almost everything your character does will involve rolling a skill or be completely mechanic-free.

Stunts and Powers are special advantages that give you benefits beyond what your skills provide. Stunts generally augment your skills, giving you bonuses to specific applications of specific skills or letting you use skills for things you can't normally use them for. Powers do fancier things like letting you fly or giving you big nasty claws.

You buy Stunts and Powers with Refresh. Whatever Refresh you have left after buying Stunts and Powers gives you Fate Points. Fate Points let you boost rolls and shape the narrative a little bit to help out your character.

Fate Points work mostly through Aspects. Anything can be an Aspect, and all Aspects work the same way. They do nothing unless Invoked or Compelled. Invoking an Aspect lets a player get a bonus or make something happen by spending a Fate Point on the Aspect. Compelling an Aspect lets the Aspect make somebody's life harder in exchange for a Fate Point unless that somebody spends a Fate Point to refuse the Compel. Invokes and Compels are limited by what an Aspect is. So you could Invoke your FILLED WITH VIOLENT RAGE Aspect for a bonus to hit me with a sword, and the GM could Compel it to make you try and hit me with a sword.

Aspects can be created with skill rolls. For example, I could roll a provocation-linked skill to give you a FILLED WITH VIOLENT RAGE Aspect. You could try to defend against this with a skill that reflects social acumen or self-control.

Does that help?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 02:41:12 AM »
I'd argue several of UmbraLux's specific points (Skills are at least as cool as Stunts, fire or a city have Aspects but usually not a Stress track or other stats, and characters with powers like superhuman strength or speed are very much still on par with wizards in most games)...but that's still a good general overview.
I agree about skills & stunts, both are cool.  Don't think I said otherwise.  ;)  They're simply different.

As for stress tracks you're correct - you don't normally need to give them to things other than characters.  Yet you can - and when putting out a fire or destroying a wall is the goal it makes sense to do so.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
I agree about skills & stunts, both are cool.  Don't think I said otherwise.  ;)  They're simply different.

Agreed. :)

As for stress tracks you're correct - you don't normally need to give them to things other than characters.  Yet you can - and when putting out a fire or destroying a wall is the goal it makes sense to do so.

Sure (and that's actually a really fun idea)...but that's not part of the core rules. You could give a fire HP and an AC in D&D, too, but that doesn't mean that doing so is part of the core rules. Which is all I was saying, really.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 02:51:59 AM »
I don't believe the FATE fractal is mentioned in the book at all.  I'm a bit mixed on whether or not it needs to be...examples show it though not completely.  In any case Fred's blog covers the fractal concept fairly well.  I think the fire was even an example!
--

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 03:34:15 PM »
Yep; Rick Neal's articles were so helpful for the DFRPG when it came out, they put him in the damned index of the book!

Read those.  If you're not sold, you may never be.

Otherwise, good advice in this thread.  *nods*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:48:18 PM by Orladdin »
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
Sure (and that's actually a really fun idea)...but that's not part of the core rules. You could give a fire HP and an AC in D&D, too, but that doesn't mean that doing so is part of the core rules. Which is all I was saying, really.
I don't believe the FATE fractal is mentioned in the book at all.  I'm a bit mixed on whether or not it needs to be...examples show it though not completely.  In any case Fred's blog covers the fractal concept fairly well.  I think the fire was even an example!
You are correct.  The Fractal is not mentioned in the book, but it's an important behind-the-scenes part of FATE that has been expanded upon since the DFRPG book was released.  Understanding it can really help you grow as a GM.

It's a bit of an advanced concept to explain to someone who just wants an overview of the rules, though.  You'll confuse the poor chap.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
The Fractal is not mentioned in the book, but it's an important behind-the-scenes part of FATE that has been expanded upon since the DFRPG book was released.
Isn't the idea, basically, to treat everything as a character? I believe that is in the book, if it is not, it kind of follows naturally, I feel. At least that's what I've been doing with the DFRPG, without ever knowing about fractal.

And "treat everything as a character" seems like a concept that can be conveyed easily enough, even to someone new to the game.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:26:43 PM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal