Author Topic: Morgan-Styled Warden as a PC in a Magic Heavy Group  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Theonlyspiral

• Conversationalist
  • Zealotry in the cause of Justice is no vice...
    • View Profile
Morgan-Styled Warden as a PC in a Magic Heavy Group
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:32:50 PM »
Hey There, Long time Lurker first time Poster.

My group is wrapping up a 2 and a half year long D&D game this December, and we're planning to transition into the Dresden Files for our next game. We'll be rotating Game Mastering duties by case file so everyone gets a chance to play. We're planning on doing a full day session for Character Generation and City Generation, but everyone is crazy excited and putting together concepts so we can sit down and hit the ground running. So far we have:

-A Magical Ronin hunting a Specific Denarian (Evocation, Magic Sword)
-An Alphas-Style Were-Ram
-A Mystical Chi Healer
-A Focused Practitioner that uses his magic to cheat at Gambling and Boxing
-A Pure Mortal who stumbled upon a set of Mystical Murders and is now Driven to finding the truth
-A Native American Shaman/Armed Forces Veteran who's been thrust into the Supernatural

Now I'm a Morgan fanboy. I have no Shame. I have gotten into loud arguments on how Morgan isn't really that Unreasonable given what he knows about Harry. My concept is a Warden that was rescued from an Outsider Cult (he was going to be sacrificed) but Morgan and a team of Wardens saved him. He's dedicated himself to being a wizard in Morgan's mould, even being his apprentice for a number of years before becoming a Warden in his own right.

My question is: Do you think such a character that is a Hardliner and devout on the Laws, can fit in with a group with wide and divergent views and magical talents? Or do you think it'll put too much burden on us as players and maybe I should save the concept for a game where it might be less disruptive?
Morgan would have done it in 15 books.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan-Styled Warden as a PC in a Magic Heavy Group
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:47:58 PM »
Well, a character like that can bring in great opportunities for roleplay, because there is always going to be some disagreement about what to do and how to do it. The biggest thing to think about would be, if the group is ok with it. If they say "well, it would be interesting to have one character in the group who is holding up the laws as best he can, while the rest is playing fast and loose with them", then the character would be a good fit. If, on the other hand your group tends to play more in a "we are now a group and go on a quest" sort of way, then it will probably do more harm than good.

As far as I can tell, there is no actual lawbreaker in the group, so that is a point in your favor. Depending on how the Focused Practitioner is cheating (reading other peoples minds in poker or using kinetomancy to tilt a dice?), that might be an issue, but even if your warden might hate him cheating at dice, he isn't doing anything illegal. If your warden is extremely hardcore, he might have a problem with the chi healer transforming others to a degree, but even that should be fine, I think.

Bottom line: talk to your group, tell them how you imagine your character, how you intend to play him, etc. Give them opportunity to raise objection early on, so you can either calm them down or rethink that aspect of your character in relation to the group. If he is hard on some specific aspects of the laws, give him a reason other than just "it's the law", otherwise it will become pretty dull.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »
If the rest of the group is fine with it, then it should not be a problem.

Offline Blackknight1239

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
It's basically like playing a Paladin with a less-than straight group. I think as long as they aren't doing anything to violate the laws, it'll be some good RP conflict.