Author Topic: Proposed stunt for a PC  (Read 3454 times)

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Proposed stunt for a PC
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »
This is a very simple one, but wanted to run it by you guys first. The PC has both Claws and Breath Weapon, but both are represented as fire blasts from her fists. So, here's a Stunt I wanted to let her take to help out:

Fists:
Wave Motion Fist: Requires: Breath Weapon. Your breath weapon is an extension of your hands. Instead of Weaponry, you use Fists when rolling for Breath Weapon.

The name is a direct translation of "Hadoken."

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Proposed stunt for a PC
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »
I would just let her use her breath weapon with fists its not as if the power is very strong anyway. I also wouldn't make her take claws as well.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Magicpockets

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
I would just let her use her breath weapon with fists its not as if the power is very strong anyway. I also wouldn't make her take claws as well.

Agreed. Unless the PC has taken some Strength powers as well, she would be better off with just Channeling(Spirit) anyway. Breath Weapon is ridiculously overpriced at [-2] refresh.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:27:52 PM »
Yeah, one of my characters is a Were dragon (classic drake, not Ferrovax), and I let him take Claws for free if he took Breath Weapon, sort of the way The Sight and Soulgaze can be bundled. Near as I can tell, Claws doesn't offer you anything that Breath Weapon doesn't, so I let them be bundled and rolled with the same skill.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
I suggest taking a look at the 'Natural Weapon' power rework in the 'Custom Powers master List' thread.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
Yeah, I'll echo consensus here. Breath Weapon is underpowered for 2 Refresh, you're making your player pay 4 Refresh for something not significantly better.

For reference, here's the Power Tedronai mentioned.

NATURAL WEAPONRY [-1]
Description: Your body contains or can produce some kind of weapon or attack.
Note: You have to pick one type of weapon (eg. fire breath, metal claws, three-foot tusks) when you take this power.
Skills Affected: Fists, Weapons, Guns, Discipline
Effects:
Natural Weaponry. Your body contains a weapon with a rating of 2. This weapon has a no range, is not capable of spray attacks, benefits from Strength powers, and is wielded with the Fists skill.
Potent Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon has a rating of 4.
Summoned Weaponry [-0]. You must take a supplemental action to create or draw your natural weapon before you can use it. In addition, you may wield your natural weapon with the Weapons skill.
Ranged Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon has a range of three zones and is capable of spray attacks. It may be wielded with the Fists, Weapons, Guns, or Discipline skill. It cannot be used with the defence trapping of Weapons unless you possess the Summoned Weaponry upgrade.
Area Weaponry [-1]. Your natural weapon may be used to make zonewide attacks.
Selective Weaponry [-1]. (Requires Area Weaponry) You do not harm yourself when making a zonewide attack against your own zone with your natural weapon.
Explosive Weaponry [+1]. (Requires Area Weaponry) Your natural weapon may not be used to make attacks that are not zone-wide.
Imprecise Weaponry [+1] (Requires Selective Weaponry) You suffer a -2 penalty to the accuracy of any zonewide attack that you make with your natural weapon.

Offline FishStampede

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
That's a very good idea and I'll bring it up to her. I realize though you left out the "poisoned claws" upgrade. It's something she has right now and uses to very great effect, though her version is burning fists and she sets people on fire instead of poisoning them. If we keep the same cost for that, it looks like she just gains 1 refresh from this change, though her claws do more damage and she can use Fists for her ranged attack.

Honestly, I just really wanted to see "Wave Motion Fist" on someone's character sheet. :D

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 05:07:16 PM »
It'd be a savings of 2.  1 for Claws and 1 for the stunt that they no longer need to throw fire with Fists.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
Yes, it's a saving of 2 Refresh. Adds 2 zones of range too.

I keep meaning to add the Venomous upgrade to Natural Weaponry. But I never get around to it.

Well, I'll change that today.

Three questions for the forum before I do:

1. Should the POISONED Aspect be free-taggable?
2. Should it be possible to poison an entire zone with the zone attack upgrade?
3. Should it be possible to stack multiple POISONED Aspects on one person?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 11:42:19 PM »
1. Should the POISONED Aspect be free-taggable?
It's not well defined, but I would suggest not.  Or rather, I would suggest that the poison-stress described in the RAW power is only available if the aspect is invoked to produce that effect, such that if the aspect is tagged instead for some other purpose, then a FP would have to be spent if the aspect were to produce its usual effect.

2. Should it be possible to poison an entire zone with the zone attack upgrade?
At the very least, I would suggest that zone-poison should suffer an additional surcharge.

3. Should it be possible to stack multiple POISONED Aspects on one person?
Absolutely.  I would not, however, allow multiple instances of the automatic attack on the same individual in a single exchange (or at least, not without suitable justification, such as perhaps that individual having been subjected to multiple sources of poisoning independantly).  Barring unusual circumstances, subsequent exposures would produce only the usual aspect effects (unless the original exposure aspect were to be removed in some manner, at which point subsequent aspects would serve as redundant backups).
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 07:23:15 AM »
Hm. A fourth question just occurred to me. Should the poison attack's strength be equal to your skill or to the roll made to establish the Aspect?

Canon seems to say the former, though it's open to interpretation.

That aside, here's an attempt.

Venomous Weaponry [-2]. You may use your natural weapon to create an Aspect on any character within range with a maneuver. When you do so, you may set aside your free tag to have the target suffer a weapon 0 attack with an accuracy equal to the roll you made to create the Aspect each exchange for as long as the Aspect lasts. Endurance is used to defend against these attacks. You may only create one specific Aspect with this upgrade; usually it's POISONED, but it can also be something like ON FIRE or ACCELERATED AGEING.

Eh, I don't like it. I'll try again later. Meanwhile, if more people have opinions on the questions I asked they should feel free to speak up.

Offline nick012000

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »
Agreed. Unless the PC has taken some Strength powers as well, she would be better off with just Channeling(Spirit) anyway. Breath Weapon is ridiculously overpriced at [-2] refresh.
I think it might be because you can kill people with it and not worry about becoming a Lawbreaker.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!

Magicpockets

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 09:28:49 AM »
I think it might be because you can kill people with it and not worry about becoming a Lawbreaker.

Still overpriced, especially since the player can always say how his enemy is taken out. In this case, it's a simple KO. And nothing prevents him/an ally to slit that enemy's throat afterwards.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 01:48:16 AM »
And a fifth question. When should the poison attacks happen?

Right before the victim acts? Right after? At the start of the exchange? Some other time?

This is making me remember why I kept putting off writing this upgrade.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 02:23:36 AM »
I'd have the damage tick at the start of the attacker's turn.  If nothing else, it allows that players actions to stay in that player's turn.
Slough