Author Topic: Convincing Your SO....  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Grogtard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Convincing Your SO....
« on: June 12, 2007, 10:53:11 PM »
So who has had this problem? Convincing your significant other that writing is work.

SO:  "Honey, can you (fill in blank with non-time sensitive chore)?"
Me: "I'm working."
SO: "I thought you were just writing."

Sigh.....
Just because I haven't posted recently, doesn't mean I haven't been on the forum.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Convincing Your SO....
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:47:19 PM »
Yep, that happens to me all the time. I've found my best shot at not being interrupted is in the evening when my mom is reading.

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:20 AM »

Nah. I've been serious about the scribbling since my early teens. I wouldn't be with anyone who didn't take it just as seriously. :)
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline skaoi

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:58:50 AM »
my hubby ROCKS.  he is so understanding.  if anything, i abuse his good will.  we had about a month or so where i was completely ignoring my fair share of the domestic chores and he finally stepped up, politely cleared his throat and looked around before looking back at me.

communication is important.  he knows i would rather be writing and editing more than almost anything else, and he makes sure i get as much time as he and our daughters can spare.  he's so awesome.

;D

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 02:02:12 AM »
spouse gone (X), kids gone(at least physically if not financially), write all I want.  

THEN boom my blue merle sheltie has taken it into his head to be my "writing timer".  At some unknown point in the evening he will race in from where-ever he's been sleeping and take a five foot leap into my arms on the laptop.  First it always scares me, 2nd his nails punch into my stomac and last and most irritating one of his paws inevibly hits a button or something that tosses the laptop into "panicked and locked down mode".   Luckily I do not lose what I've written but not yet saved otherwise the dog would have been sent out to plaly with the coyotes.....  okay I'm joking there.  

What bugs me is he seems to know when I have reached a stopping point or a point of not knowing where I was going in the writing.  So he's got pretty good writer's radar for when breaks need to fall.   LOL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 02:04:11 AM »
spouse gone (X), kids gone(at least physically if not financially), write all I want. 

THEN boom my blue merle sheltie has taken it into his head to be my "writing timer".  At some unknown point in the evening he will race in from where-ever he's been sleeping and take a five foot leap into my arms on the laptop.  First it always scares me, 2nd his nails punch into my stomac and last and most irritating one of his paws inevibly hits a button or something that tosses the laptop into "panicked and locked down mode".   Luckily I do not lose what I've written but not yet saved otherwise the dog would have been sent out to plaly with the coyotes.....  okay I'm joking there.   

What bugs me is he seems to know when I have reached a stopping point or a point of not knowing where I was going in the writing.  So he's got pretty good writer's radar for when breaks need to fall.   LOL
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 02:10:32 AM »
Meg - something is going wrong in your computer. This is the second string I've seen your posts duplicate themselves.

Sorry, I have no idea what's up or how to fix it, just letting you know it's happening.

On topic:

The hubby is extraordinarily supportive, especially considering I don't let him read my stuff.

My beagle, on the other hand, had the opposite radar as Meg's pup. As soon as I get on a roll, she comes up and nudges my mouse arm and begs for my attention... mostly for a trip outside. Sheesh!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Grogtard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »
My cat, very bad writing timer.  But then again cat's aren't know for their empathy.
Just because I haven't posted recently, doesn't mean I haven't been on the forum.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 04:25:34 AM »
Meg - something is going wrong in your computer. This is the second string I've seen your posts duplicate themselves.

It's probably a forum glitch: this happens from time to time on just about every forum I've ever been on.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 12:42:27 PM »
My SO is an artist. I have the opposite problem*...she wonders why I'm doing less work than her.

*Normally. She's in a slump right now, and wants attention, so it's hard for me to even use my computer for anything, let alone write. I've actually taken my laptop to work to get some things in ;)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 03:01:44 PM »
When you meet the person you marry in the first place through each other's writing, and when they are a full-time professional writer, this becomes less of a problem.  I'd recommend that approach wholeheartedly if I didn't think it would be implausibly difficult to duplicate; I certainly never would have thought when first we met that we would end up getting married.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline celeber

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Cerulean Siren
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 05:51:21 PM »
It is hard when you have two writers in the house.
We understand each other and stay out of the way and help when each other's muse is calling.
What do you do when you both have the muse yelling at you to work and you both can't?
Compromise. Take turns. Etc.
We must walk consciously only part way toward our goal and then leap in the dark to our success. ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://celeber.livejournal.com/

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
My wife sometimes thinks I'm not doing anything when I'm writing.  Most of the time, though, she praises me for doing so well.  It just depends on the day.

Matt
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?