Author Topic: Blocking Magic Internally - Help  (Read 26717 times)

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Blocking Magic Internally - Help
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »
Oh I thought you were proposing a magic only block that acted as a grapple.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
Well, since everywhere above, the theme was "blocking a wizard", I thought it would be best if I labeled it like that. But a complete grapple like you propose would work as well, of course. As long as you follow the grapple rules, you can put up pretty much any grapple you like. Which means, you'd have to focus solely on your grapple victim, even though you are not actually holding him down, you have to keep pinching pressure points every now and again, to keep him under, so you can't so much of anything else or the target can get free.

There's where mechanics and narrative comes in again. Narratively, one guy uses his strength to restrain someone, the other one uses his knowledge of pressure points to restrain someone. Both use the grapple mechanics.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
Yeah, because logistically, if it only blocked magic, it would be weird:

He can only use his magic on people in the same zone, so if he can't block movement, then all the wizard has to do is change zones and he's screwed.

Could you do a "quivering palm" type things.  So the trope for that is you touch someone with the quivering palm and you can, at any time - some say up to a year later - cause that person to die.  So they don't need to be in the same zone or anything.

So for the grapple, he'd make the equivalent of a quivering palm attack. 
(this is simply, the maneuver used to start the grapple. It requires a fists attack and therfore must be done in the same zone as the target. It will enable the link and open the channel between him and his target)

He then must concentrate on the target each round to continue blocking spells/doing damage.
(This just means that he makes his skill roll every round to maintain the grapple and still get to do his suplementals)  NOTE:  this grapple ONLY BLOCKS SPELLS

Things that can break the block: 
- anything that breaks the block...Since it blocks a victims spells, any spell that beats the block is going to ruin his "grapple"
- broken line of sight.   So fleeing would be o.k.  Creative declarations that give the target cover or concealment could also work.

Thoughts?

Also...I still think it should be mental.