Author Topic: Warden Sword for a Mortal?  (Read 8653 times)

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Warden Sword for a Mortal?
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
Esperacchius is Weapon:2. The other two are Weapon:3.

And as I recall, the weapons chart says that some swords are Weapon:2, some are Weapon:3, and the Warden Sword is listed as Weapon:3.
I remember the warden sword being w3.
Two handed weapons are w3, but aren't all the SotC hand and a half by cannon? I would round down, but I guess that's up to the GM
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »
A sword made of silver that is a warden sword n someone else's hands?... sure... an actual warden sword?.. notachance!  There is a warden sword in the baltimore section of the book book (which I did not realize until after allowing a player to have one without realizing it .  The thing is weapon 5with special powers)

Online Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »
6, actually.

Honestly, not sure why people are so hostile to the idea. Warden swords aren't really that awesome.

Also, I think all of the Swords Of The Cross ought to be weapon 3. It seems wrong, somehow, for a legendary weapon to be inferior to an ordinary greatsword. Maybe they're one-handed or 1.5-handed, but...it's not like the number of hands a weapon takes actually does anything mechanically.

If you tell me that a SotC is weapon 2, it makes me want to homebrew up an Axe Of God which is like a Sword Of The Cross except weapon 3. Which is clearly within the letter of the rules, and probably within the spirit of the rules as well.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2012, 04:57:48 PM »
Dont the SotC take on different forms depending on who is wielding them at the time. (this is just what I heard not sure if true).

Also I dont think it really matters if they can or cant as cannon, because it is your own universe to create as you want.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
They don't take on different forms depending on the wielder, they are just reforged from time to time. Except Amoraccius, which has been the same since the days of the original Merlin.

Inherited warden swords are actually a neat plot hook. A warden in my pbp campaign has inherited the sword of his father along with the responsibilities as a warden. I think the father-son connection is enough to make the magic work.

In the case of a mortal, I'd be bit reluctant as well, but I could see a way it could work rather nicely. Give him the sword, make it a weapon:3 and that's it. It is pretty much like any mundane sword, except maybe for a little more oomph. However, you also give him the option to spend a fate point to activate one of the warden swords special abilities (weapon:6 or counterspell:6) at one time. After that he has to make a choice. Either that action was enough to spark his own dormant magic, or the weapon just had one charge left and is now fully depleted and will never be anything but a very good sword. The loss of refresh would then come from inside the story instead of simply from the fact that he is having the sword, which would make the decision much more meaningful.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
After that he has to make a choice. Either that action was enough to spark his own dormant magic, or the weapon just had one charge left and is now fully depleted and will never be anything but a very good sword.
Ok so I love this more than anything written on this thread thus far!

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
As I recall from the books, Amoracchius and Fidelacchius are listed as Weapon:3 in Michael and Shiro's write-ups in Our WOrld, but Esperacchius is listed as Weapon:2 in Sanya's. In Your story's write-up of the Swords as a power, it says they're Weapon:3.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
These are warden swords, not Swords of the Cross, we are talking about right?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »
Yes, but I was answering Sanctaphrax's post about the Weapon rating for the SOTCs.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast