Author Topic: Son of Thor.  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Son of Thor.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
Any ideas about constructing a supernatural power which allows the user to shoot lightning strikes from his hands without the help of an item and without playing like a wizard.Also, how this power can be restricted with a strees track but give the player more times to use it before the track fills.Recharge using street lamps maybe?
Last, I want something more powerful than the Breath Weapon mentioned in the book.
Reflavored channeling, with declarations. That's really the simplest way to do it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 05:27:37 PM »
Reflavored channeling, with declarations. That's really the simplest way to do it.

Take a stunt to move the spell-casting skills from discipline and conviction to Endurance and Fists/weapons.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 07:18:13 PM »
Channelling is indeed appropriate, but not perfect. Channelling involves items, is quite wizard-like, and doesn't let you recharge.

You could avoid those issues by using Natural Weaponry or Incite Effect, but it'd probably be better to mess around with Channelling. Maybe use something Blood Drinker-like for the recharge.

The discussion starting here might be helpful, I dunno.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
Well, what I meant as far as declarations goes was, as Noom suggested, declaring that there's a transformer or something there you could tap into--tag that for effect to remove some of the stress you've taken from casting.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
I guess...

But that's pretty powerful. Most people can't do that with a Declaration and a tag, barring special circumstances. I don't think that being able to do that regularly ought to be free.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »
Channelling is indeed appropriate, but not perfect. Channelling involves items, is quite wizard-like, and doesn't let you recharge.

You could avoid those issues by using Natural Weaponry or Incite Effect, but it'd probably be better to mess around with Channelling. Maybe use something Blood Drinker-like for the recharge.

The discussion starting here might be helpful, I dunno.

Where is incite effect?  I've looked for it and can't find it.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »
I guess...

But that's pretty powerful. Most people can't do that with a Declaration and a tag, barring special circumstances. I don't think that being able to do that regularly ought to be free.
Well, a declaration still has to make sense, so it's not gonna apply if, say, they're fighting in a forest or something.

I suppose another way to play it might be just to tag such a declaration for a single attack/action.

Offline buffylover_2000

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2012, 03:47:34 AM »
I have pondered having a Scion of the Aesir before. The best catch that I could come up with came from the old Baldur myth, Mistletoe.

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »
I have pondered having a Scion of the Aesir before. The best catch that I could come up with came from the old Baldur myth, Mistletoe.

I believe I've seen that one Catch come up before, so don't think you can't make it work

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2012, 01:01:44 PM »
I believe I've seen that one Catch come up before, so don't think you can't make it work

I don't see why it would not work.  Just because something is a catch, it doesn't mean the catch itself has to cause the damage.  Maybe the mistletoe just needs to be tied to a weapon, or maybe a small blessing is said as its tied.  It's more the presence of the catch and intent of weilder.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:03:07 PM by Taran »

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
We actually have a character in our game who has that as his catch. He is Odin Blessed. He later took potent catch, which allows mistletoe to be weaponized but, it does work.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2012, 05:00:56 PM »
Any ideas about constructing a supernatural power which allows the user to shoot lightning strikes from his hands without the help of an item and without playing like a wizard.Also, how this power can be restricted with a strees track but give the player more times to use it before the track fills.Recharge using street lamps maybe?
Last, I want something more powerful than the Breath Weapon mentioned in the book.
Sorry for my storm of questions but I have no experience constructing abilities.
Thanks for your support!

I use this for my descendant of Thor.

Thundering Blows [-1]
Musts: You must possess Physical Immunity to electricity and thunder, such as that possessed by Thor’s descendants.
Effects:
Natural Weapons.  Your fists can be charged with lightning or produce thundering booms, acting as Weapon 2 when making attacks.  This bonus stacks with stress increases due to Strength abilities, but not other Weapon effects, per the usual stacking guidelines.
Charged Strikes.  You may also charge the melee weapons you wield, dealing +1 stress on a successful melee attack.  This bonus stacks with stress increases due to Strength abilities, but not other bonuses, per the usual guidelines.
Ranged Strike. [-1] You may throw your thunder and lightning up to two zones away as a Weapon 2 attack (using the Weapons skill).  Additionally, you may increase the Weapon Rating by inflicting physical stress upon yourself.  Increase the Weapon Rating by 2 per point of physical stress inflicted.

You could probably remove the physical immunity requirement.  This costs the same as breath weapon, but is a bit more useful.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »
One of my characters (a Valkyrie) also has the mistletoe catch. When I first came up with her, the GM mentioned that a weapon soaked in the juice/oil from the plant would also work. I think his suggestion at the time was soaking bullets in it.

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 07:54:35 PM »
One of my characters (a Valkyrie) also has the mistletoe catch. When I first came up with her, the GM mentioned that a weapon soaked in the juice/oil from the plant would also work. I think his suggestion at the time was soaking bullets in it.

Interesting. I had never thought of that. When my player took it I couldn't think of a way to weaponize it, so I made it a +0 on that option, since it would require something like a god forging a mistletoe spear to make it work against them. But yeah that probably would have worked too. Oh well. Potent catch is way more fun. Christmas themed games are going to be a blast.
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 03:07:13 AM »
If the Declaration is something the character can maybe do sometimes when it's cool, no need to pay. But if it's meant to be somewhat reliable and a part of the character's power, it can't be free.

Not sure why you'd use Potent Catch for mistletoe. IIRC the mistletoe was no more deadly to Baldr than to anyone else, it's just that everything else in the world had promised not to harm Baldr.

Thundering Blows seems iffy to me. Obsoleting both Claws and Breath Weapon is hardly ideal (unless you're actually trying to replace those Powers), and the stress-based weapon boost just might be crazy powerful. Can I really inflict 8 extra stress by filling in my fourth stress box?