Author Topic: Funny/Epic/Legendary moments  (Read 22860 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Funny/Epic/Legendary moments
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 08:57:23 PM »
Taken out doesn't mean that. But throwing a fireball or unloading a clip at someone does.
Nope. A successful attack of any kind doesn't have to mean that the attack actually landed in a narrative sense. Just like a consequence from a Guns attack could be hurting yourself in dodging, there is no reason that a Taken Out result from a gunshot has to mean the bullets actually hit anyone. Just like a failed Athletics roll to jump a gap doesn't have to mean you tried, failed, and are plummeting to your death.

All it means is that the player attacking with guns made it so that their target is taken out of the conflict.

Exactly. I want them to make the choice, knowing full well that that could cause a death. If I'm using a compel, I'm doing it before they even roll, I'm pushing them towards one particular type of action, as opposed to letting them try an action, then pushing them towards one type of consequence.
That's one way of doing it. The way I've tended to do it, particularly with wizards, is compel them at the start to say, "Here's a fate point. If you take one of these goons out with anything heavier than a Weapon:3 spell, it will be a kill." That retains the choice, encourages them to hold back, and keeps the consequences of going overboard.

Bottom line, for me? Any time a narrative choice is taken out of the player's control--except in the result of a failed roll--they deserve a fate point for it. Once again, a player should never be forced to take a negative, unintended outcome because they rolled too well. That, quite simply, isn't fair.

The difference in our approaches is how much care needs to be taken when making the initial choice. I want consideration taken as the player considers their action. You appear to want the consideration, afterward.
You misunderstand. As I said above, I compel before--I let the player know beforehand that they're up against mortal goons, and they will kill if they throw too much power into taking one of them out.

What I'm saying is, if the player isn't getting a fate point for it, they should not be forced into a negative outcome by a successful dice roll. A player rolling really well should mean things happen the player wants them to.

Maybe. I see the point of mechanics as providing the experience for the player, not the character.
This is true, but I don't see how that should mean taking the choice out of the player's hands.

If I want to tell a story that feels like Dresden, but not create that feeling for the people who are helping me tell the story, I won't use a rules system. I'll just start talking about what would be cool story. It's like in Dread, the jenga tower exists to make the players feel the tension, not to make the characters feel the tension. I want my players to feel the consequences of choice, not just their characters.
And they can. But they still deserve the choice to accept and deal with those consequences--that's what the fate point system is all about. Most compels, at heart, boil down to the question of, "Will you accept this Fate Point in exchange for dealing with this consequence of this aspect?"

But I think you're missing a part. The NPC is assumed to be taken out by the hit in the scenario. The hit happened to be 15 stress. The discussion is what does 15 stress represent. It assumed to be unmitigated, so take into account that a car is weapon 5. You've been hit with the narrative equivalent of 3 cars. So while in a normal situation you might be able to cut that down, by saying, I take a couple consequences and the rest goes to stress, indicating you were able to avoid the full power of it somehow, that is no longer the case here. You've taken the full blow, and we should already know what the full blow is at this point, the only thing left to decide is what that blow does to you.

Unless you read the metaphor differently.
You're looking at it the wrong way. Once it's decided that it's a Taken Out, all 15-stress represents is, "They are taken out of this conflict in whatever manner the attacker decides." So does 5 stress. Or 3. Stress isn't hitpoints, where the number represents how much physical damage you can endure. It's an abstract meant to represent how much effort it takes to remove you from conflict.

A mechanical hit doesn't have to represent a narrative hit. Think of it like...GI Joe. The 80s cartoon. The Joes never hit anyone in Cobra ever, but still won the "battles." Put into game terms, the fights ended in a Taken Out result, where the Joes' players decided, "And Cobra Commander is forced to retreat."

I handle this by just reminding them up front, hey, what your doing is pretty powerful, you sure you want to do this? They say yes, boom, gloves are off.
I'm just saying that should be a compel--if they're getting a bad outcome from a good dice roll, that's a compel.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Bottom line, for me? Any time a narrative choice is taken out of the player's control--except in the result of a failed roll--they deserve a fate point for it. Once again, a player should never be forced to take a negative, unintended outcome because they rolled too well. That, quite simply, isn't fair.

Meh, They knew what was on the line and went for it. It was their choice. If they didn't intend that outcome, they shouldn't have made that choice.
I'll address the rest later.
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
Meh, They knew what was on the line and went for it. It was their choice. If they didn't intend that outcome, they shouldn't have made that choice.
That is something that should go for the characters. The players should always have a choice, unless they've accepted a fate point for the compel.

The book says explicitly that players always get to decide the outcome of a Taken Out. Nowhere does it ever say, "Unless they roll really, really well, then they're forced to accept an outcome they clearly do not want or intend."

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
That is something that should go for the characters. The players should always have a choice, unless they've accepted a fate point for the compel.

The book says explicitly that players always get to decide the outcome of a Taken Out. Nowhere does it ever say, "Unless they roll really, really well, then they're forced to accept an outcome they clearly do not want or intend."

They aren't forced to. They are forced to make their actions make sense. Also I'm not compelling them to do it, because I'm not always trying to force them into that situation.
that said, I'm fine with them calling it a self compel after.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 09:53:17 PM »
I now feel that you are both right. If a wizard conjures up a 9000shift attack (im exaderating for effect) then its gonna kill someone. They could easily do a maneuver and if they end up having to take fallout then that is GM controled to hurting people (not necessarially killing them). However if a guy has a fists attack and has taken that skill that lets you roll 6 die instead of 4. Now lets say he has a 5 in fists. also he has taken Supernatural Strength so his fists are now pretty hard hitting weapons. He rolls and miraculously gets all + so thats 11. The guy defending rolls and gets only -  and his athletics was a 3 so thats a 0. Thats 11 shifts in a single punch. Now the guy swinging the punch was just trying to hit him. Doesn't mean that because he succeded by so much that he caved in his skull (though if thats what he was going for it could)

A wizard who conjures up 5 shifts of power (lets say fire) to hit someone and rolls an 8 to control it shouldnt have to immediatly kill them, it could easily blow them through a wall and now they are singed and unconsious. That person may have to take stress and consequences but they arent necessarially dead. Just like getting hit by 3 cars wouldnt kill you but you would be in pretty bad shape.

I feel that the higher roll could mean more damage but it could also mean that you had more control over what you were doing. I feel that a lower roll has a higher chance of causing you to unintentionally kill someone than a high roll, because you did not use the weapon right and clearly dont know what you are doing.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »
They aren't forced to. They are forced to make their actions make sense. Also I'm not compelling them to do it, because I'm not always trying to force them into that situation.
that said, I'm fine with them calling it a self compel after.
I think you're also misunderstanding what a compel is. It isn't "force the player into something." It's "introduce a complication the player has to deal with because of this aspect." It might limit their choices or encourage them to take one course of action instead of another, but it's not about forcing them to do anything.

A high roll doesn't mean "more damage." It means, "The player succeeds at what he is trying to do better than expected." A high roll and a large margin of success shouldn't ever be a bad thing for the player.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:12:49 PM by Mr. Death »

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
@lavecki, if the narration he says makes sense with the mechanics he chose, it's fine. If he chose to be really strong, and wants to punch someone hard(which is what attacking someone with fist, intending to do damage is) and gets that excess, he better have a good narration why the skull isn't caved in. Maybe he does, sweet, we're all good. Maybe he doesn't. Sweet, he learns a lesson in restraint.
I'm not saying it has to kill him, I'm just saying it has to make sense.

I think you're also misunderstanding what a compel is. It isn't "force the player into something." It's "introduce a complication the player has to deal with because of this aspect." It might limit their choices or encourage them to take one course of action instead of another, but it's not about forcing them to do anything.

A high roll doesn't mean "more damage." It means, "The player succeeds at what he is trying to do better than expected." A high roll and a large margin of success shouldn't ever be a bad thing for the player.

No I understand what a compel is. The player has to pay their way out, and if they have no FP, they have to take the action after some negotiation. So it's very much trying to force something upon their character.

If a player wants to throw a fireball at someone, and they end up throwing a really good fireball, really well, that someone is likely dead. Maybe not, maybe something happened that saved them. If killing some one isn't an option, don't take actions that could possibly kill them. It shouldn't be a "bad" thing for the player, because they made that choice, knowing it was possible.

Mechanically it simulates the situations where highly capable people, Dresden, Karen, Micheal, have to hold back to prevent killing the other person, putting them at a disadvantage. If you want to simulate that complication with compels, it does work, but for me it strains the feel of the game. I'm fairly certain though that neither of us has introduced a new point in the past  few messages, so I'm guessing we aren't going to agree on this. I still haven't had a chance to read the long one though. Will do around 11 or 12

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »
But what about when I roll 12 shifts but the guy rolls an 11? Its still the same amount of control he was just able to dodge better.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 11:23:34 PM »
No I understand what a compel is. The player has to pay their way out, and if they have no FP, they have to take the action after some negotiation. So it's very much trying to force something upon their character.
Clearly, you do not. I'd advise you reread the relevant section of the rulebook again--a compel means you're introducing a complication. That complication can be a certain action, but it by no means has to be.

If a player wants to throw a fireball at someone, and they end up throwing a really good fireball, really well, that someone is likely dead.
So you're saying that if a player has high skills, and rolls really well, they should be forced into an action that they don't want? How is it at all fair for a good roll to take something out of the player's control?

If the player throws a really good fireball really well, that means the fireball does whatever the hell the player wants it to, outside of a compel.

Again: A hit mechanically does not have to mean it is a hit narratively.

A high roll means the character succeeds at what the player was trying to do. If the player decides that he doesn't want to kill someone, then that player does not kill that someone. That is RAW. The game is set up explicitly so that it's nigh on impossible to accidentally kill someone with magic.

Maybe not, maybe something happened that saved them. If killing some one isn't an option, don't take actions that could possibly kill them. It shouldn't be a "bad" thing for the player, because they made that choice, knowing it was possible.
Being forced to take a lawbreaker--meaning a refresh cost and putting their lives in danger from the wardens--is a bad thing. Again, you're confusing narrative with mechanics. While the characters might be taking risky actions, the players have control over their own successful actions. If the player succeeds via the dice, the player decides what happens.

There is nothing--nothing--in the rulebook that says that a given mechanical action has to be a kill. There is nothing saying that beyond a certain threshold of success, the player loses that choice in how the roll plays out. There is nothing saying that a very good roll should be anything that is a detriment to the player without fate points changing hands.

Mechanically it simulates the situations where highly capable people, Dresden, Karen, Micheal, have to hold back to prevent killing the other person, putting them at a disadvantage.
The game is not a simulation. If the player is at a disadvantage because of the nature of something outside of the dice, that is a compel.

If you want to simulate that complication with compels, it does work, but for me it strains the feel of the game.
...Then why are you using Fate? Using compels to create complications is exactly what Fate Points and compels are for. It's like saying that using dice works if you want, but it strains the feel of the game.

I would seriously advise that you reread the relevant sections of the game books, because you are seriously off base with several of these points.

Offline HeadWound

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 02:54:52 AM »
My first post :)

Here are 2 sections of the rules that clearly indicate that a player cannot kill by accident.

Quote from:  page 200
If the attacker wins the roll, the shifts he
acquires translate into a stress value he can
inflict on the defender

He can inflict the stress on the opponent  if he chooses, not has to inflict it.

Quote from: page 203
If the damage exceeds the character’s stress track,
or occupied boxes “push” the stress off the right
side of the stress track, the character is taken
out, meaning the character has decisively lost
the conflict. His fate is in the hands of the opponent,
who may decide how the character loses.

No clearer than that. A winner of a conflict being unable to decide how his opponent loses is a house rule.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 03:10:17 AM »
Welcome to the forums.  :)

You do need to read one sentence farther..."The outcome must remain within the realm of reason" so while I agree tentatively with your conclusion, any single player's description is subject to being overridden by the group when the group doesn't think it's reasonable. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline HeadWound

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 03:19:03 AM »
You didnt quote the whole sentence :)
The outcome must remain within the realm of
reason—very few people truly die from shame,
so having someone die as a result of a duel of
wits is unlikely, but having him embarrass
himself and flee in disgrace is not unreasonable.

The realm of reason example was not dying from being taken out by a duel of wits, seems unrelated to accidental death so I didn't include it in the quote.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 03:26:35 AM »
"In the realm of reason" isn't limited to not killing someone with embarrassment.  It also covers not dropping them off the 51st floor of a high rise and expecting them to live...and other shenanigans.  ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 03:32:20 AM »
Yea but you usually dont do that with your attack. And if you do thats decided how to take someone out. That would also bring up the gray area.

*on top of building*
"I cast a 6 shift wind attack at him"
"You take him out, what happens?"

At that point the character can decide (and may be compelled to) do many things, force the opponent to the ground, push him off the building, disarm him. Whatever the outcome the opponent has been defeated. Only one of those things would kill him and it was the players choice.

The gray area I was referring to was, I pushed him off the building with magic, the fall is what killed him.

Offline HeadWound

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 03:37:36 AM »
Wouldn't that be gravity winning the fight, and thus declaring the outcome?

But, seriously, of course dropping someone off the 51st floor is the same as intending to kill someone and would be decided before it happened, not as an accidental result. The declared outcome could also be, I use my 15 shift air evocation hit to slam my opponent into the air handler on the roof and knock him out until next week.

Then, the game master could compel the player to accept an inflicted skull fracture on the opponent, thus forcing the player to either let the baddie die and still have a chance of catching the baddie's boss. Or stopping the pursuit of the main villain and trying to get the injured bad guy to a hospital for treatment before his death. Or paying a fate point to leave the scene as it was.