Author Topic: insperation has gone  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Orbweaver

• Posty McPostington
  • Let the games begin.
    • View Profile
Re: insperation has gone
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 03:16:32 AM »
Quite often, I find that my own muse is most inspired by listening to a particular brand of music for the scene I want to write.

For instance, if the scene involves flight of some sort, I want something that's going to have a lot of peaks and valleys in terms of the score (piano music is awesome at that, as is anything featuring a violin/cello). If I'm writing a combat scene, something that gets the adrenalin/angst flowing (most newer rock music, from bands like Disturbed or Five Finger Death punch, work particularly well for me.) It really depends on what I'm trying to write, but I usually find that music motivates me to put my fingers to the keyboard.

Sometimes a really well drawn painting/piece of artwork will do it too, so if the music doesn't work, I hit deviantart to look at concept work. I try to think about what kind of mood I want the characters to have, what I want to set for the reader, where the story is heading plot-wise, how I can blend something unexpected or foreshadow an upcoming event- usually thinking about it for a bit, with music in the background, results in a few thousand words appearing on the screen.

The third source of inspiration for me comes from reading others' work. Sometimes taking a step back from your own writing for a bit and enjoying what others have done lets the muse recharge itself.
In a world of black, white, and grey's... I'd be bright freaking purple. Resident Female Forum Denarian.