Author Topic: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Character Concept - Homebrew Power Feedback
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
suggestion.
THE EIGHT INNER GATES [-2]

Opening And Healing.
Life And Pain [-2].
Limit And View [-2].
Wonder And Death [-2].

Each gate that causes a consequence is a free action, each gate that doesn't is a supplemental.

So activating a pair of gates, cost 2 refresh, a supplemental, and a consequence, besides the last pair, which would have the supplemental eaten by taking the death consequence.

specify that recovery powers can't be activated by the gate of healing, and it only applies to physical(possibly mental, but not social)
Everything I need to know in life I learned from Fear The Boot

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »
Thats basically the same thing though...

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »

Each gate that causes a consequence is a free action, each gate that doesn't is a supplemental.

So activating a pair of gates, cost 2 refresh, a supplemental, and a consequence, besides the last pair, which would have the supplemental eaten by taking the death consequence.

specify that recovery powers can't be activated by the gate of healing, and it only applies to physical(possibly mental, but not social)

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
Splits up the costs into bursts. Removes 1 of the supplemental actions. Clarifies the issues Santca had in wording.

cost is in the middle of both of yours, keeps the power smaller, though less customizable

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
So for some reason when I modified my post it just made a new post that erased all my text and just kept the quote.

What I said was that I like the fact that each one gets activated on its own. I was thinking that the original cost could be upped to -2 so that it would take the sting. The thing is not very many people would take the higher ones, and thats expected, but I did want them stated out.

I would be willing to group 7 and 8 posibly even 5 and 6 but would like, at the least, for the first ones to be separeate

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2012, 09:33:34 PM »
They will still be activated on their own. Or well, they can be or they can activated together. Putting them in the package just keeps the purchase easy to track. It doesn't affect the mechanics after purchase at all. Not necessary, just gives it a bit cleaner form factor. Your power is already almost a page and contains almost no fluff.

But yeah, I do think removing the supplemental from the consequence causing gates helps even out costs

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
Maybe but it would read like this:
(click to show/hide)
As opposed to this:
(click to show/hide)

unless you are talking about doing it Sancta's way

Offline Addicted2aa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2012, 11:01:16 PM »
It would look like this.

I made some edits to the power as well. The extra supplemental for -2 seemed a little expensive so I pulled it out of the main write up. Changed the stacking to allow it. I think it makes narrative sense, though it may not work mechanically well. Combined each 2 gates into one single power, with two activation steps. I removed Gate intermediate. There are only 3 supplemental actions in the power as is now. Gate master should maybe allow all 3 to count as a single supplemental. That may be a better -1 power. Rewrote the way you addressed recovery powers, both in the notes and in gate of healing. Specified physical stress in both healing and death gates.

I also feel the notes could specify the gates need to be opened in order, so it doesn't have to repeat at each gate but I left that. It's about the same size with an easier to read format

EIGHT GATES RELEASED FORMATION [-2]
Description: You are able to push your life force through your muscles. This makes you faster and stronger, but damages your health rather badly.
Note: Consequences taken to fuel this Power act as the catch for all toughness powers. All physical powers stack with others. Eg, if you have inhuman strength already, the first gate will give you supernatural.
Skills Affected: Endurance, Fists, Might, Weapons, Athletics, Alertness
Effects:
Gates of Opening and Healing: First and Second Gates. As a free action, you may take a mild (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Opening. For the rest of the scene this gives you Inhuman Speed and Strength. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Healing. Upon opening the Gate of Healing you may clear your physical stress track as though the scene had ended. This will not trigger recovery powers to clear out other consequences. You may not use the Gate of Healing unless the Gate of Opening is open.

Gates of Life and Pain [-2]: Third and Fourth Gate. As a free action, you may take a moderate (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you either Supernatural Speed or Supernatural Strength. You may not open the Gate of Life unless the Gate of Healing is open. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you armour 2 against all physical stress(stacks with toughness). You may not open the Gate of Pain unless the Gate of Life is open.

Gates of Limit and View [-2]: Fifth and Sixth Gate. As a free action, you may take a severe (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Limit. For the rest of the scene this gives you Supernatural Strength and Speed, You may not open the Gate of Limit unless the Gate of Life is open. As a supplemental action, you may activate the Gate of View. For the rest of the scene your hands are wreathed in weapon 4 fire, and allow you to attack entire zones with melee attacks without risk of harming yourself. You may not open the Gates of View unless the Gates of Limit is open.

Gates of Wonder and Death [-2]: Seventh and Eight Gate. As a free action, you may take an extreme physical consequence to open the Gate of Wonder. For the rest of the scene this gives you Mythic Speed, Mythic Strength, and armour 4(stacks with toughness) against all physical stress. You may not open the Gate of Wonder unless the Gate of View is open. As a free action, you may open the Gate of Death. This gives you +2 to all physical rolls and makes you immune to all physical stress, but kills you in four exchanges (or roughly one minute outside of a conflict). You may not open the Gate of View unless the Gate of Wonder is open.

Gate Master [-1]: You may take up to 3 supplemental actions associated with this Power in a single exchange as a full round action.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2012, 05:16:24 AM »
If you're going to make each gate cost the same, you should probably make the early gates weaker and the later ones stronger.

I front-loaded the costs in my version for a reason: the first two gates are much easier to use than the later ones. And they offer a similar amount of Power. So they should cost more.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2012, 03:12:09 PM »
So would you be ok with it Sancta if the first 2 gates cost -2 and the rest cost -1 or would the first gate cost -3? as it was in yours

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2012, 04:08:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't know any more.

EDIT: I'm updating the list. This should probably go on. I'm not totally sure which version to use. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:25:47 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
Ok so how about this:

EIGHT GATES RELEASED FORMATION [-3]
Description: You are able to push your life force through your muscles. This makes you faster and stronger, but damages your health rather badly.
Note: Consequences taken to fuel this Power act as the catch for all toughness powers, and they do not start to heal until the scene after they are activated. Powers taken in this way do not stack.
Effects:
Gates of Opening and Healing: First and Second Gates. As a free action, you may take a mild (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Opening. For the rest of the scene this gives you Inhuman Speed and Strength. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Healing. Upon opening the Gate of Healing you may clear your physical stress track as though the scene had ended. This will not trigger recovery powers to clear out other consequences. You may not use the Gate of Healing unless the Gate of Opening is open.

Gates of Life and Pain [-2]: Third and Fourth Gate. As a free action, you may take a moderate (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you either Supernatural Speed or Supernatural Strength. You may not open the Gate of Life unless the Gate of Healing is open. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you armour 2 against all physical stress(stacks with toughness). You may not open the Gate of Pain unless the Gate of Life is open.

Gates of Limit and View [-1]: Fifth and Sixth Gate. As a free action, you may take a severe (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Limit. For the rest of the scene this gives you Supernatural Strength and Speed, You may not open the Gate of Limit unless the Gate of Life is open. As a supplemental action, you may activate the Gate of View. For the rest of the scene your hands are wreathed in weapon 4 fire, and allow you to attack entire zones with melee attacks without risk of harming yourself. You may not open the Gates of View unless the Gates of Limit is open.

Gates of Wonder and Death [-1]: Seventh and Eight Gate. As a free action, you may take an extreme physical consequence to open the Gate of Wonder. For the rest of the scene this gives you Mythic Speed, Mythic Strength, and armour 4(stacks with toughness) against all physical stress. You may not open the Gate of Wonder unless the Gate of View is open. As a free action, you may open the Gate of Death. This gives you +2 to all physical rolls and makes you immune to all physical stress, but kills you in four exchanges (or roughly one minute outside of a conflict). You may not open the Gate of View unless the Gate of Wonder is open.

Gate Master [-1]: You may take up to 3 supplemental actions associated with this Power in a single exchange as a full round action.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:37:47 PM by Lavecki121 »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »
I dunno.

I think the action difference is a clever way to make each Gate a thing. But I'm not a huge fan of most of the other ways in which this differs from my version.

It does more for 3 Refresh, but for some reason the first upgrade costs more even though it does basically the same thing.

I'm undecided on the Gate Of Healing effect. It's worrying balance-wise, but it does encourage characters to use the Power once they've been fighting for a while which is cool. I probably just would have had the first gate give one Inhuman and the second give the other, but you may be onto something here.

Also, I don't like Gate Master. It just seems pointless.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »
Ok, well I am going to make one last change to this and be done with it as long as my GM (addicted) agrees.
Ok so how about this:

EIGHT GATES RELEASED FORMATION [-3]
Note: Consequences taken to fuel this Power act as the catch for all toughness powers, and they do not start to heal until the scene after they are activated. Powers taken in this way do not stack. Supplemental actions described in this power are not affected by Speed Powers.
Effects:

Gates of Life and Pain [-1]: Third and Fourth Gate. As a free action, you may take a moderate (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you either Supernatural Speed or Supernatural Strength. You may not open the Gate of Life unless the Gate of Healing is open. As a supplemental action, you may open the Gate of Life. For the rest of the scene this gives you armour 2 against all physical stress(stacks with toughness). You may not open the Gate of Pain unless the Gate of Life is open.

Gates of Limit and View [-1]: Fifth and Sixth Gate. As a free action, you may take a severe (or worse) physical consequence to open the Gate of Limit. For the rest of the scene this gives you Supernatural Strength and Speed, You may not open the Gate of Limit unless the Gate of Life is open. As a supplemental action, you may activate the Gate of View. For the rest of the scene your hands are wreathed in weapon 4 fire, and allow you to attack entire zones with melee attacks without risk of harming yourself. You may not open the Gates of View unless the Gates of Limit is open.

Gates of Wonder and Death [-1]: Seventh and Eight Gate. As a free action, you may take an extreme physical consequence to open the Gate of Wonder. For the rest of the scene this gives you Mythic Speed, Mythic Strength, and armour 4(stacks with toughness) against all physical stress. You may not open the Gate of Wonder unless the Gate of View is open. As a free action, you may open the Gate of Death. This gives you +2 to all physical rolls and makes you immune to all physical stress, but kills you in four exchanges (or roughly one minute outside of a conflict). You may not open the Gate of View unless the Gate of Wonder is open.