Author Topic: Whither Portamancy?  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Whither Portamancy?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
For the enchanted item moving you strategically I knew that a defense roll couldn't be manipulated like that, and meant it as the movement action for your turn.  I should have been more clear.

That ought to be kosher then. Take two item slots, put them into the item for a movement and a defence effect that narratively are the same thing.

A fairly heavy complexity spike comes if you assume that teleporting someone else is a permanent change (albeit one that changes a lot, just not normally via magic), do you think that would be enough or should it be an additional tax, or just a completely different way of figuring it out altogether?  I'm not nearly as concerned with the binding bit, although I suppose others might be.  Also, mortal objects?  For instance, I left my gun at home, and I'm all the way across town and about to go into a bad neighborhood...how do I magic up my gun?

Up to you, really. I'd require a stunt to use Discipline for "having stuff" Declarations, but otherwise Taran's idea sounds cool.

Also, yeah, that Teleport power seems well done.  Assuming for whatever reason that you wanted a caster for the full range of teleport type effects and you didn't have the refresh for buying the power yet as a "permananent ritual" effect, how would you model it with spell casting?  It doesn't seem like it would necessarily have to be an ability that takes a lot of Conviction to muster up the power for, but other than the part where you pay a Fate point per Refresh of a temporary power I'm unclear on how thaumaturgy can imitate powers.  By that I mean complexity costs.

Well, you can teleport by thaumaturgical Athletics-replacement. But that's good for only one shot.

If you want to obtain a temporary Power, then cast a ritual against whatever complexity your GM thinks is appropriate and then use the temporary Power rules.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
Since I'm on a character-making kick, and since this thread gave me an interesting stunt idea...

Nightcrawler (Submerged)

Wikipedia knows more about him than I do.

Wasn't sure whether or not to make his teleportation Sight-Affirmed, ultimately decided against it.

It's also possible that he deserves Contacts/Resources, but I don't recall him using those skills in the comics I've read.

High Concept: Teleporting Mutant
Trouble Aspect: Member Of The X-Men
Other Aspects: Furry Freak, German Catholic, Prehensile Tail, Authority On Teleportation, Image Inducer
Skills:
Superb: Athletics
Great: Fists, Weapons
Good: Endurance, Alertness, Stealth
Fair: Lore, Might, Discipline, Investigation
Average: Presence, Conviction, Intimidation, Rapport, Empathy
Stunts:
Teleport Away (Athletics): On a successful Athletics defence, sacrifice next action to sprint.
Powers:
Rapid Teleportation [-3]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Spider Walk [-1]
Cloak Of Shadows [-1]
Superhuman Acrobatics [-1]
Item of Power (Image Inducer) [+0] granting:
Human Guise [-0]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Offline Mrmdubois

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:50 PM »
I think as far as combat movement goes I do like the idea of an enchanted item handling it best either as a block or maneuvering to a better location.  It makes sense to me since an Item can essentially do all the heavy lifting of an otherwise fairly complex craft that's better handled by ritual.

Teleporters can be broken after all.

Similarly taking a Discipline stunt to conveniently have stuff on hand via Declarations seems reasonable.  Although if you're not summoning up stuff often or it's outside the scope of he stunt and you have time and a symbolic link it seems fine to handle it via thaumaturgy?  Even if you do spend the Refresh for the stunt it probably makes sense to simply use a Fate point for the minor declaration and flavor it as a summon since that rule already covers that.

Summoning people should I think be a major ritual on an unwilling target, and a much less difficult one on a willing target.  So for an unwilling target I'd shoot for the whole stress track, consequences and best possible defense.  Willing targets could be half that.  I think that would be better than just a "Taken out, by beating stress track" because summoning even willing targets should probably not be too easy.  Also having to spend a Fate point for either effect is cool.

As for moving yourself around via Ritual, granting yourself a temporary power or one shotting a jump is probably just situation dependent.  I can see reasons for doing it either way.  I also think you could use Burglary for teleporting to a place you've never been using the Casing trapping to understand weak points in magical or mundane borders, although possibly also supplemented by Athletics or vice versa depending on the situation.

Also, to the dedicated teleporter I think picking up that Custom Power permanently looks like the way to go at some point.

So, from the discussion I'd probably favor a build like:

Stunts:  Discipline Stunt for summoning objects with Discipline Declarations. (-1)

Powers:  Ritual (Portamancy) (-2)
Teleporting (-2)

Item Slots:  Portaboots.

Sink refinements into more item slots for extra uses or extra strength and focus item slots and other Refresh into the teleporting power.

Also, cool Nighcrawler build.