Author Topic: Dresden in Space?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
Dresden in Space?
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
As I work on my big project every now and then I hit slumps or blocks, which can sometimes take shape of a wife, 10 month old or 3 year old, playing, chatting, screaming, throwing, abusing little brothers, stealing from big brothers......sorry getting carried away.

Anywho, during these times I find myself not writing, and I know a good practice to get into is writing every day, no matter what it is your writing about. So then yesterday I came up with this idea of a first person space adventure, sort of like Dresden in space, though without the magic, and not related what so ever to Mr. Butchers work. Do you think there would be reader interest in something like this? The ideas I came up with were pure fun factor, and I can see it being something I can turn to and write just a few sentences at a time when family life gets busy.
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: Dresden in Space?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
What's the pitch? Are you talking about essentially a noir detective story set in space? Because that sounds like it would be really cool. Would you be going for hard sci-fi or a bit more casual with the realism?

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
For some strange reason it sounds very Douglas Adams to me.  ;D

I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:22:20 PM »
Have you read any of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat novels? They have a similar concept (master criminal blackmailed into working as a secret agent for the Good Guys in space) and have a lot if lighthearted, silly humor and action.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »
Some of Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan books have a substantial investigation-in-space component, too, and they seem to have a sizable and devoted fanbase.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.