Author Topic: Chapter Perspectives and How to Start Them  (Read 4405 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter Perspectives and How to Start Them
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 04:22:39 AM »
Sort of back on topic. (Yes, the more you use everything to reveal character you are ahead of the game!) The flexibility of 3rd POV is that you can switch from character to character within a page and many times in a chapter. Just don't do it within a single paragraph, although all rules are meant to be broken. And it would be fun to do that and figure out what type of plot you could make that work... Other than the obvious drugged out sixties rock and roller type of trip...

Seriously, I'm going to try to do this. :-) 
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
The flexibility of 3rd POV is that you can switch from character to character within a page and many times in a chapter. Just don't do it within a single paragraph, although all rules are meant to be broken. And it would be fun to do that and figure out what type of plot you could make that work... Other than the obvious drugged out sixties rock and roller type of trip...

Patrick O'Brian does this and makes it work really rather well.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
Unnecesary depends largely on how many characters you have.  I dislike relying on voice.  Astute readers can tell the difference but many people can't.  Especially if you have characters that for whatever reason have similar voices.(I have a mother amd daughter pair as POV characters.  Them thinking alike is important.)  I've always liked how the Wheel of Time has chapter labels for the main storyline present in the chapter.  Leaves me looking for the dice at every chapter.  So basically, do what makes you the most comfortable and what makes it easiest to read.  I change viewpoints so often I feel the need to label things.  (Which is a stylistic attention span thing.)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 06:50:32 PM »
Unnecesary depends largely on how many characters you have.  I dislike relying on voice.  Astute readers can tell the difference but many people can't.  Especially if you have characters that for whatever reason have similar voices.(I have a mother amd daughter pair as POV characters.  Them thinking alike is important.)  I've always liked how the Wheel of Time has chapter labels for the main storyline present in the chapter.  Leaves me looking for the dice at every chapter.  So basically, do what makes you the most comfortable and what makes it easiest to read.  I change viewpoints so often I feel the need to label things.  (Which is a stylistic attention span thing.)
Yes, I think Mat is more interesting than the rest as well  :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
I've always liked how the Wheel of Time has chapter labels for the main storyline present in the chapter.  Leaves me looking for the dice at every chapter.

Well, yeah, but distinct voice is not a strength I would be inclined to think of WoT as having, particularly with the female characters. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if there was a chapter anywhere in Song of Ice and Fire where you couldn't determine the viewpoint character trivially easily very quickly without the names as chapter headers.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
I'm just going to say, I disagree.  On a first readthrough maybe...  But there are different viewpoints(It's just that all the women are angry and think men are stupid)  He still characterizes them well and each of them has voice.

Voice is also something that is either innate to the writer or comes off artificially alot of the time.  (Jordan had very artificial voice.  I will admit to that.  Siuan and her fish curses every third sentence.  Nobody thinks about their job that much.)  It's hard if not impossible to learn voice.  Especially given that every writer has a voice as well.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:02 AM »
Patrick O'Brian. Wow. Yessssss.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »
  It's hard if not impossible to learn voice.  Especially given that every writer has a voice as well.

I'm going to disagree with you there; I would say that it's essential to learn voice unless you don't care that all your characters are indistinguishable, and that it's a thing some writers get more easily than others but anyone can learn to some extent.  (Though some voices are easier than others; myself, I can do a passable Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy narrator and a fairly solid Alexandre Dumas, for example.)

I'm inclined to think that the better a writer is, the less their own actual voice can be distinguished through their characters' and stories' individual voices.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:37 PM »
And how does one learn voice?  There is no way to do voice via a set structure short of using an accent.  You can't formulize it.  (I'm not saying it isn't something that can be improved on) but it isn't a teachable or learnable skill.    It's too ephemeral for that.  But you can write it none the less.  Basically voice isn't a concious thing, not when done right.  It's all in the readers head and no matter how good you may or may not be at differentiating by sentence length and thought pattern readers will ascribe a voice to a character.  In my writng I've heard every which way.  According to some every character is distinct and they can immediatley tell who's section it is.  For my girlfriend the mystical glowing extradimensional lady and the summoner who's been on the run since he was 16 sound exactly the same(which is actually a good thing given the fact said female character learned verbal speech via the summoner's brain.)

So you can't quantify voice and it's all in the readers mind anyway.  The only parts that can be taught, the aforementioned sentence pattern/word length things.  Those aren't voice.  They're tricks that make characters feel fake.  Nobody thinks like that.  Hell, writing like people think is impossible and would be unreadable because almost nobody thinks in full sentences and their thoughts spin off all over the place.  But making them even more robotic by giving them patterns...  It never comes off well.(Hence disliking fish thought patterns)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
And how does one learn voice?  There is no way to do voice via a set structure short of using an accent.  You can't formulize it.  (I'm not saying it isn't something that can be improved on) but it isn't a teachable or learnable skill.

Of course it is. You learn voice by doing pastiche of voices you have read that have really worked for you.  You learn it by picking your favourite album and writing each song out as a story. (This works better if your favourite album is by Leonard Cohen than by Orbital, granted.)  You learn it by telling the same story in different modes; theme and variations.

Basically voice isn't a concious thing, not when done right.

The better you get, the more you can consciously control.

The only parts that can be taught, the aforementioned sentence pattern/word length things.  Those aren't voice.  They're tricks that make characters feel fake.  Nobody thinks like that.

I will assert in all seriousness that I do, here. 

Hell, writing like people think is impossible and would be unreadable because almost nobody thinks in full sentences and their thoughts spin off all over the place.

You clearly know a very different set of human beings from the ones I do, then.  Almost all the ones I do think in full sentences; many, including me, think in full paragraphs.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
Thought isn't that organized.  It's sporadic and stops mid sentence to follow another track.  It starts at I should go to work but and layers into three different thoughts there on what needs to get done.  The mind just isn't organized or focused enough to just go on in a monologue.

Show me examples of voice then.  Because all I see in what you're discussing is character(which takes too much time to build to be voice) and to an extent perspective/tense(if that's what you mean by writing style.)

If you read something a personal friend posts on a forum you hear their voice while reading it.  You can hear that not because they write any differently than anybody else or follow specific patterns but because you know them.  The same applies to voice, except that the reader has one sentence to get that voice.  So they assign it immediatley, almost always by the first sentence you write from the characters perspective.  If that thought is, "The sky was always beautiful at night" the reader will get a voice filled with wonder and appreciation for beauty.  But if it's, "The plane shook, jarring Bryan out of his book with an unpleasant thump." You get a sense the person is bookish, introverted, and prone to being unhappy.
They define voice right there.
Another example.  I can't read The Dresden Files unless I place a voice in that slows the pace down.  At the same time I can throw a voice onto anything.

Writers talk about voice like its magic.  It isn't that its magic, but that it is entirely up to the reader what voice is.  I spent months trying to figure out how to put voice into things and it never read any differently for me.  I tried what you've talked about, trying to emulate other writer's voices.  There isn't much there.  I can write from harry's perspective if I want, but if I change the voice I read it in it stops being Harry and Starts being Atticus O'Sullivan really easy. 

Now the forum is bugging out for me and not showing the line I'm typing on, which is driving me nuts.  So enjoy.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »
Thought isn't that organized.  It's sporadic and stops mid sentence to follow another track.  It starts at I should go to work but and layers into three different thoughts there on what needs to get done.  The mind just isn't organized or focused enough to just go on in a monologue.

I'll tell you again; most of the time, when I'm not three-quarters asleep, mine does. If you're not minded to believe me, that's fine, but it won't add much to the conversation if you're not willing to take me in good faith here.

Show me examples of voice then.  Because all I see in what you're discussing is character(which takes too much time to build to be voice) and to an extent perspective/tense(if that's what you mean by writing style.)

Voice is character.  Every word a character says or thinks, every word on the page, is an example of how that character says/thinks/experiences things.

If you read something a personal friend posts on a forum you hear their voice while reading it. 

You do ? That seems very weird to me.  Text is text.  I don't "hear" it, it's written down.

You can hear that not because they write any differently than anybody else or follow specific patterns but because you know them. 

Whereas for me it's quite the reverse; almost all of my personal friends I met online first, and I know them by the patterns in how they write, long before I have met them in person or have anything derived from meeting them in person to add to their written voice.

The same applies to voice, except that the reader has one sentence to get that voice.  So they assign it immediatley, almost always by the first sentence you write from the characters perspective.  If that thought is, "The sky was always beautiful at night" the reader will get a voice filled with wonder and appreciation for beauty.  But if it's, "The plane shook, jarring Bryan out of his book with an unpleasant thump." You get a sense the person is bookish, introverted, and prone to being unhappy.
They define voice right there.

You read very differently from most of the readers I know, then.  One sentence ?  That's just alien to me.  "The sky was the colour of a television set tuned to a dead channel" is a first line that allows a whole range of voices (from the faux-Harrison-Ford narrative in Blade Runner to William Gibson's own drawl) but it rules out a bunch of others (no way that sentence can be  d'Artagnan or Sherlock Holmes) and you need a lot more to narrow the voice down further.