Author Topic: Need help statting a custom character template, Archer from Fate/Stay Night  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Need help statting a custom character template, Archer from Fate/Stay Night
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:01 PM »
Yes.

However, to my eyes the Power says that you can create items that you could not acquire in any other fashion.

Eh, academic distinction anyway. It's worth rewording even if it makes sense to the majority.

And it's possible that my interpretation is the weird one, I suppose.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:36 PM »
The idea behind the power is that at the higher levels it allows you to create legendary artifact replicas with higher weapon ratings. So without complex tracing you can equip your entire party with great-swords etc but with complex tracing you can equip them each with the there replica of legendary high weapon rating swords etc. A spear wielder on the team with someone with tracing would probably be using a weapons 5 Gungir replica instead of a normal lance, a duel wield expert would probably be duel wielding a Gram and Fragarach replica instead of a long and short sword. 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 03:06:59 AM »
Okay, let's try to make Tracing better.

I went a bit further than planned here, because some options were missing and skipping scenes kinda sucks.

Also, why was that "one weapon at a time" limitation there? I guess uncapped item creation might get a bit out of hand (I fill the building with axes, trapping everybody in their offices) but I thought equipping a team was part of the point.

So yeah, pretty significant buff here.

It's not a strict upgrade, though. I tried to limit exploitability.

Still can't kill people with a rain of swords, which is kind of a pity.

Some of the wording here is pretty ugly. Please critique.

TRACING [-2]
Description: You have the ability to project items from your mind into reality.
Skills Affected: Craftsmanship, Weapons, Guns
Effects:
Projection. As a supplemental action, you may create a simple item out of thin air. As a full action, you may roll your Craftsmanship and create that many simple items instead. Items created this way may be no larger or more complex than a suit of chainmail. Melee weapons created this way are capped at weapon rating 3, while bows and thrown weapons are capped at weapon rating 2. Armour created this way can have a rating no higher than 2. Items created this way last until the end of the scene. You may sustain no more than a dozen projected items at a time. You may cause a projected item to vanish as a supplemental action.
Reinforcement. By spending a few hours you may cause one of your projected items to last indefinitely. This requires a Craftsmanship roll with a difficulty equal to the difficulty to build the item normally.
Artifact Tracing. If you possess the Item Of Power Collection Power, then you may create your Items Of Power through Projection. If their weapon or armour ratings are lower than what that trapping would allow, you may increase them up to those limits. This does not allow you to bypass the maximum amount of available Refresh though Item Of Power Collection.
Complex Tracing [-2]. You may create complex items with this Power. Anything no bigger than a motorcycle is fair game, though if the difficulty to create the item is higher than your Craftsmanship you must meet that difficulty with a Craftsmanship roll to do so. In addition, you may create explosives, firearms, and melee weapons with weapon ratings up to 5, thrown weapons and bows with weapon ratings up to 4, and armour with a rating of up to 3. You may not use Reinforcement on any item that could not be created through mundane methods.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 03:23:06 AM »
Still has precisely the same problem as before.  I think you need an explicit clause excluding the created weapons from their normal ratings.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 03:37:49 AM »
Really?

Okay, fine.

Anything else?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 04:00:54 AM »
I have an immense dislike for 'special interaction' clauses such as the one above for Item of Power Collection.

There are a few instances that could use a language touch-up, but not in a way that, so far as I can see, actually hinders the intended effect.  But I'm not in the right state of mind at the moment to be able to go through and pick out where they are, why they're problematic and/or how to fix them.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 04:17:43 AM »
I think you might actually of made the power weaker, before the power had the advantage you could create permanent artifact level weapons with the new version there is no advantage over just getting buying the stuff making the power pretty useless for equipping a party.   
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
I have an immense dislike for 'special interaction' clauses such as the one above for Item of Power Collection.

There are a few instances that could use a language touch-up, but not in a way that, so far as I can see, actually hinders the intended effect.  But I'm not in the right state of mind at the moment to be able to go through and pick out where they are, why they're problematic and/or how to fix them.

Any particular reason for the immense dislike?

I'm generally not a huge fan of them either, because they tend to be inelegant. But I see no better way to represent the intended effect.

If you ever find yourself in the right state of mind for fact checking, I'd appreciate a look-over. On this as well as the Possession stuff.

I think you might actually of made the power weaker, before the power had the advantage you could create permanent artifact level weapons with the new version there is no advantage over just getting buying the stuff making the power pretty useless for equipping a party.   

I removed a stupid exploit and made the Power more useful when used legitimately.

Permanently equipping someone with a weapon 5 sword is like giving them 1 Refresh that they must spend on a +2 stress with a sword stunt. You should not be able to do that. No permanent bonuses that you don't spend Refresh on.

Plus, making the Power's best use require skipped scenes is rather awful.

The new Power is actually better than the old one for equipping a party if you're not willing to skip scenes. One action and everyone can grab a weapon 5 spear for the upcoming fight. Plus you can create an infinite number of motorcycles/hand grenades/other awesome things for free. Just spend a few days of downtime.

(That's with the upgrade. Without it, its superiority is much clearer.)