Author Topic: Chinese Elements  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Dger91

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Chinese Elements
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
I have a player who wants to play a martial artist channeler (al la the Akashic Bro from M:tA).  I am trying out ideas for Chinese themed elements like Ancient Mai.
I am  basically knowledgeable about that paradigm but as it is much more conceptual it kinda hard putting it into more practical terms.  I would be open to input on how the RAW elemental associations would redistribute into the Chinese.
I really liked the idea that each element empowered/drained/and cut another.  I wanted to play around with that. 
If there is another thread that already covers this then sorry.  There was only so far back I was willing to go :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:08:28 PM by Dger91 »

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Elements
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:23:56 AM »
The wikipedia article is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

The relationships are mostly a matter of declerations.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 03:04:45 AM »
Have you read Jim's Codex Alera? I'd just treat the guy like a Furycrafter, hacking away abilities that don't make sense with this system and working in the ones that do.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »
Elements are mostly cosmetic. They all have the same mechanical effects, except for Spirit which is special for some reason.

So creating a new elemental paradigm is mostly about describing your spells differently.

Elemental rock-paper-scissors is probably best handled through Declarations.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
I have a player who wants to play a martial artist channeler (al la the Akashic Bro from M:tA).  I am trying out ideas for Chinese themed elements like Ancient Mai.
I am  basically knowledgeable about that paradigm but as it is much more conceptual it kinda hard putting it into more practical terms.  I would be open to input on how the RAW elemental associations would redistribute into the Chinese.
Mechanically, any element can do any type of evocation spell - attack, block, maneuver, and counterspell.  They cover all your mechanical options.  Differences appear in how easy a maneuver may or may not be, in the declarations available to both sides, and in compels. 

I really liked the idea that each element empowered/drained/and cut another.  I wanted to play around with that. 
Unless you want to write your own mechanics, this is best covered via declarations and compels.  Declaring "Wood is a Weak Defense against Fire" gives that fire attack a +2 boost while declaring "Metal is Impervious to Fire" would give the defense a +2 boost.  Compeling a fire shield to be useless against water might also be used...and if the compel is bought off, the shield has been constructed in such a way it vents steam away from the target.

Figure out the effects your group wants and work on potential declaration ideas ahead of time.  Also, decide what general success level a given type of declaration might need.  Both will save you time during play.  ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer