Author Topic: What's the scope of the various <adjective> Strength powers?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Bedurndurn

• Participant
    • View Profile
So my group had some questions about what the various strength powers really help with. Each level of the power has these effects:

• A lifting/breaking bonus
  • A bonus on grappling rolls and an increase in how much damage you can do in a grapple as a supplemental action
  • A modification of how Might modifies other skill uses
  • A flat damage bonus to attacks based on muscular force

So points #2 and #4 are super straightforward and there's no confusion there, but I had some questions about #1 and #3.

For the lifting/breaking bonus, can that be used in combat to set up a block or in a maneuver? It makes narrative sense that any might-based maneuver/block action is better if the actor can pick up cars, but maybe that's too good (the 4 point version of the power adds 6 to those rolls for example). On the other hand, wizards.

For #4, what circumstances warrant getting the bonus for modifying a skill with might? I imagine lifting a dude off the ground by his throat is good for a might-modified intimidate roll. Flipping a car over to use as cover might be a might-modified dodge (or is it a might-based maneuver or block? Could I get my lifting bonus? See? This is confusing!  ;D) Can you guys suggest some other circumstances where Might would or would not be allowed to modify a skill? More confusingly, under the Might skill section, there's this snippet:
In combat, Might can help you with particular applications of Fists and Weapons: if physical force is a very significant element at play, Might will modify (page 214) the primary skill.
Assuming I like being effective, I would probably always want to attack in a way where physical force was a significant element (because adding to attack rolls is really strong in this system). What are some examples of fists/weapon skill use where modifying with might is appropriate or inappropriate?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: What's the scope of the various <adjective> Strength powers?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »
Consider the following prefaced with 'in my opinion/interpretation' where not explicitly referencing RAW.

Part 1 applies to rolls where the goal of the roll is to lift/break an object, not where lifting/breaking an object is merely included in the narrative of the roll.

The suggested activities for your hopeful interpretation of part 1 represent ripe ground for modifying other rolls with Might (though some might be better represented by Might Restricting those rolls).  Throwing things around in a manner likely to cause harm to others is a function of Weapons.  Throwing really big things is likely Weapons Modified by Might.
In reference to the specific quote from Might, I interpret that to reference situations where the importance of physical strength is unusually prominent, as it's pretty important in most applications of melee combat.  In this way, just straight up punching a dude will never qualify, nor will any common variation thereon (swinging a baseball bat, sword, or other such implement, etc).
Trying to knock the feet out from under Tiny the Gruff?  Go right ahead and Modify.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What's the scope of the various <adjective> Strength powers?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
This is what I think Fate Core does much better than DFRPG: define scope.

1. I generally take it as the bonus from this applies to actions where this is the end goal.  In FC terms, this would apply to Overcome actions, where the act of breaking or lifting something directly moves you towards your goal.  I would probably allow it on Maneuvers in DFRPG, as succeeding by a lot doesn't really make a difference (you get +2 from that aspect no matter what).

3. I let Might modify rolls whenever the player can describe it as using their superstrength, except for attacks and blocks/defense rolls.

For those, I'm really looking for superhero-style combat.  Throwing cars, chewing the scenery, etc.  Things that would be impossible without superstrength.  Otherwise, that's what your damage bonus is for.