Author Topic: Who Lives In Nevernever?  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Nightbreed DOA

• Participant
  • High Shadowmancer of Darkenspire
    • View Profile
Re: Who Lives In Nevernever?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 07:27:19 PM »
There's an interesting conversation Harry has with Uriel. Harry mentions that Star Wars and Spider-Man aren't real, and Uriel's response is essentially to shrug and say they might be real somewhere.

I dare say that this may be going into Slider (the TV show) territory with a dash of comic sci-fi.  ;D

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »
Maybe. So if I wish really REALLY hard enough...well, I suppose that is what dreams are for.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:41:33 PM »
I'd forgotten which book it was from, but still I hardly think that bit of conversation is a such a big plot point that it has to be spoiler tagged, unless you think it's foreshadowing that Harry's going to run into Parker in a later book.

He does have the Parker luck...Chuck.

Could very well be, although it is quite different from the island of pirates, indians, and ticking crocodiles I remember from the movies.

So EVERYTHING fantasy is in the nevernever? Just thinking about that is starting to hurt my brain. All those pocket dimensions...

Yes. Absolutely. 

At the very least theose things could exist in Demenses or within parts of the Nevernever that merge with dreams of critters/people.

Offline Nightbreed DOA

• Participant
  • High Shadowmancer of Darkenspire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
Quote from: Chrono on September 06, 2012, 11:22:28 AM

Could very well be, although it is quite different from the island of pirates, indians, and ticking crocodiles I remember from the movies.

So EVERYTHING fantasy is in the nevernever? Just thinking about that is starting to hurt my brain. All those pocket dimensions...

Yes. Absolutely.

At the very least theose things could exist in Demenses or within parts of the Nevernever that merge with dreams of critters/people.

So, if i understand this logic, the Nevernever is basically a crossroads nexus where each part of it can lead to a different place/dimension. Cool concept.  8)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
So, if i understand this logic, the Nevernever is basically a crossroads nexus where each part of it can lead to a different place/dimension. Cool concept.  8)

Close.  It's not so much a nexus of dimensions as it is the single infinite dimension of wierdness that itself includes all of those 'different places' jutting up against each other.
The 'nexus', from a humanocentric view, would probably be Faerie, because that's, usually, the closest place in the Nevernever to a given place in the mortal world, forcing most mortal practitioners to travel to whatever destination in the Nevernever by first stepping into Faerie (again, usually; there are, obviously, places in the mortal world where stepping into the Nevernever would take you to someplace other than Faerie).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
So you have to cross through Faerie to get to everywhere else in most circumstances, but you might get to the home of the greek deities by crossing into the Nevernever from Mount Olympus for example?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
Mount Olympus, maybe any given well-used shrine (to appropriate deities), a few places that resonate well with a particular deity's predilections...
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 08:08:18 PM »
One thing to consider:
Some places that are found in stories might not actually exist in the nevernever, but are stories retold and refurbished to sound better from actual places in the nevernever. It could be pretty fun to take a "real" mystical place and warp it to a nightmare of nightmares.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »
Ooo. I do so love warping things that my party will have to deal with. Just to change things up, I had an ogre warped so that it was immune to physical attacks but vulnerable to mortal magic. It was the party's first time encountering one. The poor spellcaster wasted 3 fate points trying to burn ogre 2, which was not warped.

I would love to twist the jade orchid to some nightmarish horror forest. Then have them visit the river styx, which is like the Small World ride on a river of rose petals.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
Eh, usually things are quite darker than the stories about them. Nice will be nasty and nasty will be a certifiable nightmare.

Then again, the guy carrying the souls of the dead to the afterlife might not have any real enemies, so he might have spread rumors so not everyone would try to get past him to free the dead.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
I'd forgotten which book it was from, but still I hardly think that bit of conversation is a such a big plot point that it has to be spoiler tagged, unless you think it's foreshadowing that Harry's going to run into Parker in a later book.

Well Jim Butcher did write the Spider-Man: The Darkest Hours novel.  So maybe Pete will show up sooner rather than later.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/