Author Topic: Toughness Stress Boxes / Catches  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
Re: Toughness Stress Boxes / Catches
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »
As far as not knowing the enemy for the first time - I've seen that and it usually goes down that way with the first fight being a beating. The PCs ran into some ghouls recently and took some serious hits before they realized what was going on. However, that depends a lot on the campaign. If you have mostly random bad guys every session, then yeah, they can't ever "be prepared" but we've got a vampire intensive story arc spinning up so that rules out the surprise them all the time technique.
And those common enemies haven't realized the PCs are a threat yet?  Why haven't they contracted out to mortal hitmen, applied political pressure through their various contacts in the mortal authorities or hired supernaturals with other weaknesses to pit against the PCs?

Remember the denarians kept those viscious
(click to show/hide)
attack dogs.
The red court has a lot of sway in local politics.
Etc.

The bad guys don't actually prefer a stright-up fight, remember.  They only do that if they think they can win. 

I like moving away from an inventory intensive "catch" bag though and the idea of spending FP that you suggest seems on the right track. However, once a PC says they have an "Iron Sword / Blessed Sword" etc. it's hard to tell them they need to spend FP to use it. That starts breaking down into details I think the FATE system was trying to avoid, but IMO the catch system leads you in that direction. I definitely prefer declarations and FP (and really think the enchanted item slots and stuff are going in the wrong direction) and want to find ways to keep that going.
But keep in mind, the DV is a real world.  Carrying around piles of artillery or deadly weapons is likely to create all kinds of serious consequences.  Players can't just saddle-up with every single catch-satisfier they have every time they go out on the town.

Maybe I'll switch them to have an aspect of "Blessed Bullets" which had free tags on the first fight and then require spending FP for them, or declarations to renew it for future fights. Works great for Ammo, not so great for swords though.
This is a workable solution.
Keep in mind, if a player has an aspect, it allows trivial declarations be made for free.  The "Blessed Sword" that one character has means he likely has access to it unless unusual circumstances (and a compel!) prevent it.
Not everyone should have the "Blessed Sword" aspect, though.  Then it stops being unique.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Toughness Stress Boxes / Catches
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
The bad guys don't actually prefer a stright-up fight, remember.  They only do that if they think they can win.
This is a very good thing to keep in mind. Most supernatural badguys are opportunistic predators that will fight as a last resort, and only consciously fight to the death if there's no other choice.

But keep in mind, the DV is a real world.  Carrying around piles of artillery or deadly weapons is likely to create all kinds of serious consequences.  Players can't just saddle-up with every single catch-satisfier they have every time they go out on the town.
Especially if they're meeting someone on diplomatic terms--how many times has Harry, in the books, had to leave his staff and rod at home because it would be the equivalent of showing up to a negotiation wielding a shotgun and a rocket launcher?

I've got quite a bit of mileage out of compelling a wizard's focus items away for a negotiation and having a fight break out half-way through, for instance.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast