Author Topic: cold iron claws, spikes , metal limbs?  (Read 1418 times)

Offline raydjulia

• Participant
    • View Profile
cold iron claws, spikes , metal limbs?
« on: September 08, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »
ok this may be more in the realm of comic books then Dresden, but i was wondering, if modular abilities or shape shifting, or a combination of the two would let you grow cold iron claws ( ie wolverine), or say grow spikes all over your body, that would meet catches for some toughness? or say turn your body to iron, you could say it looks like armor to give it more of a Dresden feel. if anyone could give me some opinions or suggestions. i love the idea and would like to know how to make it work.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: cold iron claws, spikes , metal limbs?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:31:49 AM »
Whether something satisfies a Catch is not a matter of mechanics. Cold iron is a narrative thing, not a mechanical one.

So if it's appropriate to sprout Catch-satisfying Claws then you can. If it's not then you can't.

I'd allow it, personally.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
I agree with Sanct, if it made sense from a narrative perspective it's all good.  Like if your character is the scion of some kind of natural predator of the Fae, it would make sense it would have iron claws or what not.

Offline PapaD

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
You could possibly get away with it for something like a scion of Ogoun (Voodoo loa of fire, iron, politics, thunder and war), or Hephaestus - or some other type associated with similar entities

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
I've had a character with an iron fist, which I represented using the claws power. Another time, I suggested using claws + human form to represent a wizards knack to create a sword of flames with his magic, that he then used to fight nasties with.

The power itself basically just gives you +2 stress when attacking with the fists power. You can reword it to be all kinds of things, maybe even use another skill (like weapons for a sword of fire). So yeah, iron claws are totally within the realm of possibilities. Although you should have a good reason for having them.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
I agree with Sanctaphrax with a caveat.

Some/many forms of shapeshifting shouldn't allow it.

Just as greater glamours likely can't create iron or actually satisfy catches - since it is just solidified ectoplasm.

In some cases the substance should look like iron, maybe even have all physical and chemical properties of iron, but magically speaking it is still just ectoplasm or skin and muscle and bone.

So to answer the OP.  Maybe. ;D