Author Topic: Incite emotion  (Read 1748 times)

Offline icewhisp

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Incite emotion
« on: August 28, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »
I have a simple question and that is how long does this power work for?

for lasting emotion?

for potent emotion?

Thanks a bunch

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Incite emotion
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:14:28 PM »
These are attacks that do mental stress instead of just doing a maneuver, so they last as long as the consequences inflicted by the mental stress.

The only difference between potent and lasting emotion is potent does more stress.

Offline icewhisp

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »
I meant for roleplaying terms my G.M. wants to know how long would it last outside of combat. I.E. use it on a guard to make him lustful at me. How long would it last? Is its use in this way even possible?

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:18:36 PM »
Use the in-combat standards. If you pass the guards mental stress by 2, it lasts for the rest of the scene and so on. If it hits but only inflicts stress, it lasts at most a couple of seconds.

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
If it inflicts stress it lasts until stress clears. If it inflicts a consequence it lasts (or at least some sort of result lasts) until the consequence clears. It might not be the lust exactly, but whatever consequence was taken.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »
If all it does (mechanically) is inflict stress then it doesn't (necessarily) succeed (narratively) at all.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:02:18 AM »
Sure it does. Just take into account the max possible defense.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 02:22:08 AM »
I'll rephrase:
If the end result of your attack is that it fills a stress box (of whatever value), then the attack likely FAILED, narratively.
Stress is not 'damage', and stress tracks are not 'health'.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 03:03:03 AM »
A permanent change would be something like an Extreme consequence.

A lasting change would be something like a moderate or severe consequence.

A mild consequence would be a durable change, but one which would only last a few scenes.

REMEMBER: Consequences do not "heal" until recovery starts.  Unless your character takes time to relax/see a shrink/etc those mental consequences are going to stick around.  They're not affected by recovery powers.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 01:24:31 PM »
A permanent change would be something like an Extreme consequence.

A lasting change would be something like a moderate or severe consequence.

A mild consequence would be a durable change, but one which would only last a few scenes.

REMEMBER: Consequences do not "heal" until recovery starts.  Unless your character takes time to relax/see a shrink/etc those mental consequences are going to stick around.  They're not affected by recovery powers.

This is what I meant.  I just wasn't clear.  The effect lasts until the consequence has cleared.  I agree with Tedronai that if you don't don't inflict a consequence, then the victim has effectively resisted the power.  Which is why it might be easier to perform a maneuver in some circumstances - especially if you only need it to last one scene(assuming you get a sticky aspect).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:27:27 PM by Taran »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »
Well, it works a bit differently as a player than as the GM running a monster.

As a player, maneuvers are more effective at getting the "invoke for effect" because you only get one free tag anyway, whether it's a consequence or a regular aspect.  You're spending fate points after that.

As a GM, however, you have essentially unlimited fate points for compels (your only limit being how many fate points you want the player to have at their disposal).  Thus, consequences which are going to last for multiple scenes or sessions allow you to continue to exert influence over the player.

The one difference is that consequences make it easier to take an enemy out.  Thus, tactically, producing a consequence often has less to do with manipulating your opponent and more to do with "killing" them.  As a player.  As a GM, they're excellent narrative tools.  Forcing players to seek medical help, complicating their lives, etc.