Author Topic: Dice  (Read 1989 times)

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
  • My milkshake brings all the gamers to the yard.
    • View Profile
    • Troubled Waters - A Dresden Files Campaign
Dice
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
I realize this has been posted before but after much searching and failing to find what I'm looking for I thought I would ask the users.

A while back when I first started playing i decided I wanted a set of cool dice to play this game with. I did some googling and found only the plane red white and blue d6s everywhere. Eventually though I found a set of Fudge specific dice that someone had etsied (at least I think it was etsy) that was dark wood with polished brass inserts on the faces for the +, - and [blank] sides. They were fricken gorgeous and I wanted a set. Unfortunately I closed the window (and I don't keep browser history). I've been googling and etsying them for a while since, and I have yet to be able to find the same set of dice again. I was wondering anyone knows where I might acquire a pair. I believe the price was something <= $20 for a set of 4 or something like that.

I actually tried (disastrously) to make a set of wooden dice to use, but I had an attack of the 'Too Stupid to Breath' disease and nearly lost a thumb on my tablesaw. It was entirely my fault, I knew better and still did something stupid anyway...and I still kick myself in the butt over it. I refer to them as my blood dice since I bled all over the wood (and pretty much everything within a foot or so) during the accident. However, they're poorly made and not particularly cool looking other than being made out of wood. Given that these blood dice cost me well over $200 (in a trip to the emergency room), I don't mind paying for them.

I did see a link on JimButcherOnline somewhere for a 3d printed set of bronze looking dice but that's not really what I'm looking for.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?
Blessed are the Game Masters. For verily without them we wouldst all be playing Paychecks and Expenses for our whole lives without relief.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Dice
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:11:24 PM »
You can get an excellent assortment of fate dice here:
http://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/4048/Q-Workshop-Fudge-Dice-Black-Yellow

I've got the black yellow ones at a convention last year, and I am really happy with them.

If you want to have a design of your own, you can try q-workshop.com. The dice above are made by them as well, but I couldn't find them on their webpage. I don't actually know how much it cost to have them make custom dice, but I am sure it is less than 200$ and a thumb.

I hope everything will heal up good and fast.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40:22 PM »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
I really need to get me some proper Fudge Dice. I've been using 4D6 per the recommendation in YS when playing around with the system.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:47:15 AM »
I use the Pip app for when I have to roll a lot of dice at once.

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
I use the Pip app for when I have to roll a lot of dice at once.

I tried using an app. Heck I wrote an app for it (I'm a software engineer). It's just not the same for me.
Blessed are the Game Masters. For verily without them we wouldst all be playing Paychecks and Expenses for our whole lives without relief.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:16:47 PM »
I tried using an app. Heck I wrote an app for it (I'm a software engineer). It's just not the same for me.

I have a big cube of dice from chessex (all d6) that we use normally.  But when I have to roll a bunch of dice at once (like zone wide defense, 5-6 enemies attacking, etc), I use the app.  It's not the same at all, but it is faster.

Personally, I want to order some scary looking dice from Shapeways (3d printers) and use them as an ominous sign to my players.

Offline eiredrake

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
I have a big cube of dice from chessex (all d6) that we use normally.  But when I have to roll a bunch of dice at once (like zone wide defense, 5-6 enemies attacking, etc), I use the app.  It's not the same at all, but it is faster.

Personally, I want to order some scary looking dice from Shapeways (3d printers) and use them as an ominous sign to my players.

I saw those. They look like metal but they're plastic. I'm kinda looking for something either metal or wood or metal & wood together like I mentioned originally.

Though that earlier post with the volcanic rock is pretty damn awesome. I might have to order a set of those but I'd want them before December.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
Actually, the stainless steel ones are a steel/bronze combination.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
Holy crap. Now I have a sudden urge to buy dice, and I dont even need them.

Offline charliebrumfield

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 05:53:34 AM »
so at the risk of this sounding like advertising, i'm the guy that makes all the exotic wooden dice over at artisan dice. i just saw this post when a couple of the forum members bought fudge dice sets. so thanks guys! means a lot especially since the dresden files rpg is what got artisan dice off the ground. my gaming group wasn't able to find cool fudge dice locally so i made a set for each of them. shortly there after they conned me in to launching a kickstarter project and now i have a really cool job.

anyway i totally dig the eternity dice. i actually backed them for a set of d6's and a set of fudge dice last week. really cool folks over there. i highly recommend you back them.

now that i think of it, we actually have been using the alt ruling for 2d6 from YS during our games over the past couple of weeks and i really think i like that better. basically you roll two dice and subtract one from the other.  we use one light colored dice and one dark colored dice. the dark color dice is always subtracted from the light color dice which gives you a range from -5 to +5.

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
If you use that 2d6 method and rule that any result of +/-5 is a 0 you get probabilities similar to real fudge dice.