Author Topic: Any Reccommendations For Pregenerated Adventures?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Any Reccommendations For Pregenerated Adventures?
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
I have read all 3 of the pregenerated adventures at Drive Thru RPG as well as the Sleepy Hollow adventure. My google searches are failing me in finding any more. Does anyone know a website or a thread that has some pregenerated adventures?

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
Re: Any Reccommendations For Pregenerated Adventures?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:18 AM »
Sorry, I won't be able to add much to this thread (I'm still pretty new to the Dresden RPG) but I have a friend who occasionally likes to take Adventures from other FATE games and modify them to make them Dresden-ish. He said once that it was usually a simple matter of carefully swapping out characters, though he does have a copy of Our World
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »
Well I have both books, so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know of any FATE games that have a similar setting to Dresden, though.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:44:39 PM »
At this point I am guessing that no, there are no other sources for Dresden RPGs.

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,29127.0.html

This thread is the only resource I've seen on the matter. Outside of that, it's just a matter of finding sources of inspiration in random places.
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »
That's odd. I wonder why no one makes adventures for this system. The Pizza one looks interesting enough.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
That's odd. I wonder why no one makes adventures for this system. The Pizza one looks interesting enough.

My guess is because so much of why DFRPG works is because the PCs are tied into the city and it's tied into the threats and they're all created by each individual group. They're simply not compatible with pregenerated adventures that provide more than a skeleton of plot hooks, and even those plot hooks might be entirely irrelevant. And nobody's going to spring for a book of vague plot hooks. It's just not that helpful for people who want fully fleshed-out adventures.

You'd be better off stealing some plot hooks and ideas from other sources and figuring out how to put an urban fantasy spin on them.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »
That's odd. I wonder why no one makes adventures for this system.
The pre-written adventures make decent con games or introductions.  They're not going to do well as a serial set.  FATE simply doesn't lend itself all that well to scripting campaigns to an arbitrary set or theme.  Instead, it makes heavy use of aspects - character, location, scene, city, possibly even campaign.  Tie them together and you have the beginnings of an adventure.

All that said, if you really want some RPG source of inspiration I'd suggest looking at encounter books or even some of the online play reports.  I tend to pull a lot of inspiration from the news...just twist it a bit and fit to your city's themes and the characters' interests.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:05:31 AM »
While inconvenient; I think systems that are more narrative in nature rather than "dungeon crawls" - have less pre made adventures.

White Wolf eventually had a lot, but nowhere nearas many as D&D types.  The White Wolf ones wwere also generally not as good. 

I'm not sure this type of system lends itself to pregenerated adventures well, since hte players have a larger role in the narrative and can effect the story in profound ways through declarations.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
I think we're lucky to have three official adventures and a few fan ones for a game with 15000ish copies sold.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
Maybe so, but I am a greedy GM. I want more adventures, more books, more TV episodes, and more fan-made contributions!

At the very least, I would like some more adventure recaps. It sounds like some awesome stuff is going on with parties. I'll post our group's last scenario then, and see if anyone else responds with their own epic Dresden adventures.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »
I recap mine, whenever they get around to happening.

Offline dannylilly2000

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »
I recap mine, whenever they get around to happening.

And I've stolen lots from your thread :)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
I think we're lucky to have three official adventures and a few fan ones for a game with 15000ish copies sold.

The sales figures are quite higher - but still not in the WotC, Paizo , White Wolf range.

From http://www.deadlyfredly.com/tag/sales-numbers/

DFRPG:OW      12392
DFRPG:YS      15384

But it is a minor game and Fred shelled out $$$$ for those "Free" books.  Here's hoping that the new DFRPG books are released soon.

Richard

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
Do you mean the story already made? Because there are a few campaign settings available. They are more of a middle point between starting from scratch with your own city and a total pre-generated adventure.

There are a few cities to look at... with the other capsule settings you might be able to use these to make a new game pretty easily.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32385.0.html

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.