Author Topic: why is dyslexic English not a slandered form of English ?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: why is dyslexic English not a slandered form of English ?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 02:44:14 PM »
I think this was really just a place for Cen to vent about getting badgered about her spelling errors. I doubt she was expecting the world to start publishing dyslexic print novels :P.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »
do you know how much easer edditing would be if i was aloud to publish my work in dyslexic english
oh my that would just make life way too easy for me
and the univers would just implode if people where that fair
i would love that but its not going to happen because life is never fair :(

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
oh no, i was'nt trying to say anyone should, and sorry if the science quip offended, it's just me trying to make fun of myself i'm a science student and , well my notes and spelling can be atrocious because i'm lazy, and without a disability in terms of reading that is the not so socially acceptable thing.

I was just following my train of thought, because cen started talking about UK and US english, my mind just jumped how like with Harry potter, there's US and UK versions , and certain words have to be changed, and that is how the two different languages are expressed

but i think i get it now, yeah people can be looked down on if they spell very poorly, but when you know the person has dyslexia it's ok, it's not a reflection on intelligence or anything, it's got nothing to do with it, and i can read and understand what you're typing anyway.

heh, sorry. it's 3:00 am and I'm not thinking properly, damn i wish i could sleep. :)

note: I was trying to get at how dyslexic works should get printed if the author wishes it so, I suppose it did'nt come through.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
oh i see yeah
i think books should be published in the virtion of english the aurther choices or writes naturaly in
witch means as most people can read dyslexic english it should be socaly exseptibal for me to write in it and not have to worry or appoligies for my spelling all the time

also people should not jump to conclutions about the persons lazyness or intelagence when they see some ones poor spelling
they should just get over it is non of their business if some one spells words one way or the other
otherwise it would be exseptibal to complain about UK englih exsesive use of the letter u or something but if you do that most UK english writers / speakers would have a go at the person making fun of the exsesive use of Us
as it is not aloud to do that (because us exsesive letter u users will get groumpy) it should not be aloud to have a go at poor spellers ? is it not rely the same princerple?

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
*raises hand*

Hello, my name is Wat and I am also dyslexic.

Yet I disagree. I have trained my brain, and work very hard to do so, to read standered English very well. I am afraid that if we ever go through with the 'write however you want' concept people will become confused and literary anarchy will ensue.

The structure of English, such as it is, gives people like me a starting point to grasp the whole. Take that away and how can one even begin to understand what is written.

I find reading anything other then properly grammatical and spelled books/anything extremely difficult.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »
see told you no two people ever have the same view point ::)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »
Hey Cenwolf:  Have you seen this new font designed especially for dyslexics?  Supposedly the letters are heavier at the bottom to keep them from flipping over:
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/design-architecture/dyslexie-font-designed-to-help-dyslexics-read-write/4110
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
no actualy thats the first i have heard of it
i will have to talk to people about getting it for my lap top thanks

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »

Very simple. Because there needs to be a standard that everyone can refer to when trying to communicate. The reason a dictionary exists is so that when one person uses a word, they use a standard spelling to refer to a specific word so that they can make sure everyone is getting the same information.

I don't take the time to read a lot of what you post because if you can't take the time to make it as understandable as possible, I won't take the time to re-read it 10 times and then say it out loud to try to figure out what you are trying to say. It's not personal. It's the way it is, and unfortunately it's the way the majority of the world works. I can guarantee that if you apply for a job and use your own special dyslexic dictionary your application will last 10, maybe 15 seconds and then get put aside. You have that long to make a first impression. We ALL have that long, dyslexic or not.

Yes, there are differences between some English-speaking countries. But the structure remains the same. Because you CAN recognize an American vs. British spelling means that there is a recognizable standard. I would never expect someone learning English as a second language to try to also learn someone's singular dyslexic lexicon.

Dyslexia takes many, many forms. Are you are advocating the creation of a new written language for each individual who has difficulty with visual communication (i.e. reading and writing)? Expecting everyone else to adapt to spend the time and effort to understand what you are trying to say is rather optimistic. You know what you want to say. It is up to you to do the work to make sure you have clearly communicated it, not your audience.

It isn't fair, but if you want to be clearly understood and have your thoughts and opinions respected and considered, using proper grammar and spelling is essential. Are the words you spell properly just random happy coincidences? Or do you know how to spell certain words? It's NEVER a matter of intelligence or laziness. It's about understanding that you have to be creative about how you learn things and finding a way to shape information so that you can learn it.

Frankly, as someone with a learning CHALLENGE who had to spend YEARS learning how to learn I understand the frustration. For every hour that I spent in a classroom I had to spend 2 hours (or more!) reorganizing and THEN studying it in a way that I could actually remember the lesson. The brain takes in information in many ways. Visual is only one way. I could offer many techniques that worked for me. But the goal was to learn the language as it exists, not to get around it.
I found the best techniques for me to learn by looking and looking and researching and asking and looking some more. The solution was not given to me, I had to find it. It was angering, exhausting, frustrating and totally not fair. But that's the way it is. I had to work harder than everyone else and it pissed me off. But what pisses me off more is knowing how hard I had to work and STILL dealing with it and finding people that expect the world to adapt to them. It just doesn't work that way. It never will. It totally sucks but that's the way it is.

Dyslexia is a locked door, just like any other learning challenge. If you are very, very lucky you might meet someone who can hand you a key that works. But be prepared to make your own key- or pick the lock! Do whatever you need to do to open that door. Staying on one side and trying to talk to people through it is exhausting and inefficient for both sides. Find the key for yourself. If you can open that door so many more will open too.

You are online all the time. Are you on a dyslexia forum? How many different dyslexia learning techniques have you found? Do you have a special tutor or teacher? Are you doing the exercises they ask you to? Because the work isn't always about something specific, it's about learning a WAY or rewiring how you see something. If you aren't doing what they are asking then you sabotage yourself.  I say this as a reading tutor and adult education instructor. Trust that there is a reason that you are asked to do a particular exercise and don't fight it. You might be surprised. But be prepared to do a lot of things that don't have obvious goals or instant success.

Have you re-read the title of this thread? Case in point....
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
have you looked up the definition in that dictionry of yours of i can not actualy see
no offence but my sigh has me in a strangle hold when it comes to reading (and seeing in general)
as a rule i do all the exersises
but currently do not have a writing tutor and have not had one ever
all the words i have learned to spell i have torut my self
i had to teach my self to read and write when i was 10
as people gave up on me

i re read every post and try to spell check
but i miss things some times
(okay a lot of the time)
but i am no where near perfect
my spelling is my down side
considering i can bearly see what i am typing most days and thats with magnification
and zoom settings in use
i use text to speak as well
but some times the spell check dose not recognise the word i am looking for
i have had to kick down a lot of locked doors
personly i am sick of having the you need to try harder argument
when i am already trying as hard as i can
i try so hard i get ill
never mind some people have view points that will never be able to see from my view point i am not going to argue the point

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

have you looked up the definition in that dictionry of yours of i can not actualy see
There is no need to get pissy. More importantly, this is the type of response that starts unproductive fights. You are the one that started this thread. If you need a place to vent frustration that is ok, just say that when you start.
But if you solicit answers then be prepared to get them.  It's the risk you take when you start a dialog on a public forum.
personly i am sick of having the you need to try harder argument
And that wasn't what was being said. You know what? You will ALWAYS have to try harder because you have a disability. That is a given. What is being said is that expecting anything else is a waste of time. If you are working so hard you make yourself ill then you need to try something else. If one thing doesn't work, try a different method. THAT is where the work harder comes in. You will have to become an expert on dyslexia and teaching methods and adaptive software and study tools and everything that in any way relates to it. You will have to teach the people around you how you need information presented so you can learn it.

never mind some people have view points that will never be able to see from my view point i am not going to argue the point
Exactly. No one will ever be able to see from your viewpoint. You are the only one that will ever see things the way you do. Expecting other people to be able to see things from your POV and then getting frustrated when they don't only sets yourself up for a never-ending cycle of disappointment.

Your life is your own. It is your responsibility. I don't think anyone here doubts that you are a very intelligent person. It sucks that people gave up on you. But that doesn't give you permission to give up on yourself or lower the standard. Anyone who gives up on you isn't worth your time anyway. But you are at a point in your life where if you don't do it no one will.  You have so much potential. You are creative, imaginative, thoughtful, compassionate, funny and smart. You CAN do it and you WILL do it. You will find a way, just trust in yourself the most. If you begin to doubt, then remember that you found this forum and made friends here... and if you respect those friends then trust in their choice to count you among their friends, even if people at home don't. And then take a nap. Naps are wonderful things for refocusing. ;)

no offence but my sigh has me in a strangle hold when it comes to reading (and seeing in general)
No need to worry about offending anyone else about your poor sight. In fact, you should practice not apologizing for it. Maybe it's time to stop trying to use it. I'm not in the UK, and I don't know what is available for services and what you might already get. But there are a lot of things that you can do to sidestep your sight and still do what you want to. I looked it up and I found a lot of resources from actual money to tutors, mentors, adaptive equipment, and other programs that connect you with the tools you need.

Actually, learning to spell by listening rather than looking is a time-honored way to learn it. Different neuro-pathways get around the sight thing. And learning to actually type- which used to be by touch and not sight- will also give you more freedom. And yes, having funds to get things helps, but frequently as a student you can qualify for things for free.

I did a search and found a lot of resources that are based locally. I don't know where you are but it might be easier for you to look.
Here are a few of the the things I have found:

A forum for dyslexics. If there is anyone else who understands, something like this is the the place:
http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=423a4efeca58246bb7132b1dd68b4508&act=idx

http://www.inclusive.co.uk/articles/technology-for-the-visually-impaired-a281
this is software from the same site for dyslexia:
http://www.inclusive.co.uk/software/dyslexia-software

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk
http://www.dyslexia.uk.net
http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk
http://uk.dyslexia.com
http://www.dyslexics.org.uk
http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk
http://www.thedyslexiashop.co.uk
http://www.dyslexic.com/articlecontent.asp?CAT=Dyslexia%20Information&slug=158&title=Reading%20Impairment:%20VI%20and%20dyslexia,%20compared%20and%20contrasted:

I also found a lot on visual impairment, for both VI and dyslexia.
What kind of computer and OS do you have? I'm sure we can find apps and programs that will work for you. Find what you think will work. What tools do you need? Don't take no for an answer.

And yes, I am being mean. Because there a quite a few people that I know and some on this forum that have just as many challenges if not more that have managed to make a productive life for themselves in spite of it.  Hell, there are lists and lists of people with dyslexia and VI that used is as a springboard and not a fence. Sometimes the best friends are the ones that push you the hardest. Because it's much easier to walk away than push back, right? The ones that push are the ones that care.

You have A LOT of people on this forum who have A LOT of experience and A LOT to offer. If we didn't care you wouldn't get a response. But you have to be willing to listen, and to consider doing things differently or using a resource that you'd rather not, or asking for help when you want to do it by yourself. And you have to be your own best advocate and push back harder than anyone pushes you. The solution always comes from the most unlikely of places!

And finally, from http://athome.readinghorizons.com/community/blog/50-interesting-facts-about-dyslexia/

Dyslexic Gifts:

Dyslexics often enjoy and excel at solving puzzles.
Dyslexics have excellent comprehension of the stories read or told them.
Most dyslexics often have a better sense of spatial relationships and better use of their right brain.
Dyslexics have excellent thinking skills in the areas of conceptualization, reason, imagination, and abstraction.
Dyslexics have a strong ability to see concepts with a “big picture” perspective.
Dyslexics are adept to excellence in areas not dependent on reading.
Dyslexics typically have a large spoken vocabulary for their age.
Dyslexics tend to be more curious, creative, and intuitive than average.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »
 :-[
okay you have a point
sorry i was being a self sentered child :(
it was unfair of e to complain and i apologies if i offended you
thank you for the links i am going to look at them closer tomorow as my eyes don't like this time of day

(i got wacked by my photophobia i will have to sleep soon )

i hace had a rotten week so have been a bit deprest lately but that is not an excuse for my atitude and by now i rely should now better
:)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
:-[
okay you have a point
sorry i was being a self sentered child :(
it was unfair of e to complain and i apologies if i offended you
thank you for the links i am going to look at them closer tomorow as my eyes don't like this time of day

(i got wacked by my photophobia i will have to sleep soon )

i hace had a rotten week so have been a bit deprest lately but that is not an excuse for my atitude and by now i rely should now better
:)

((( CWG )))
No apologies!
You know how to take care of yourself. And it's ok to complain... just give us fair warning if you just want to vent!
Otherwise you run the risk of getting "helpful" suggestions.  ::) ;)

Maybe you should take up boxing. Hitting things sometimes helps.  :P :o

Let me leave you with this:  :o ;D

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
i am starting fencing in september if all gose to plan
my cardiologist says no full contact sports so i am not rely aloud to do boxing or things like that :(
i should worn people when i vent
but genraly i try not to do it because there are so many people in worse situations then me
and it makes me feel guilty
and some times helpful suggestions actualy help
so genraly once i have calmed down (new word i learend to spell to day calm :) i am getting there slowly)
i see the advice for what it i
but sometimes it takes me a little wile to get to the rashanal thoughts and past the "the hole dame world is agesnst me because i am disable boo hoo me" train of thought ::)
you would think after 17 years i would be better at exsepting help by now ::)

ha lies shear will power and intelagence aplied in the proper way can over come anything if you try hard enought
now look i am going to sound like an adult ::) the world is so doomed

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 02:44:23 AM »
Fahn, then Ah'll git uh p'tishn up an' runnin' fer Southern English, too. 'Cause y'all don't talk raht.
Im going to practice my thread hyjacking and "Nae forget Scots!"
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?