Author Topic: Share your latest Eureka moment!  (Read 2320 times)

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Share your latest Eureka moment!
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »
We all have it that moment when writing where something just fits, or you find the perfect name for something that singular moment when everything comes together.

For me my latest one was when I was doing outlining for a book idea and I was looking for the name for my fictional city that I described as 'Las Vegas by the coast' after about two hours and a couple hundred rejected names and a few possibles the perfect one hit me, after that everything else about the city just fell into place.

So tell me what was your latest Eureka moment?

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Share your latest Eureka moment!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »
Wondering about one of the coolest ways to hide a traditional "cross-roads" or "faustian" demon in plain sight in the City. Settled on golden-statue street performer. It reads a lot better than it sounds :D.

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 03:57:11 AM »
Wondering about one of the coolest ways to hide a traditional "cross-roads" or "faustian" demon in plain sight in the City. Settled on golden-statue street performer. It reads a lot better than it sounds :D.

I love Faustian and Crossroads demons, I was (embarrassingly) introduced to the crossroads demon via supernatural and have since done a lot of reading surrounding the lore of them.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 03:08:52 AM »
Most of mine tend to be structural; realising that the operation my protagonist co-runs with the marines in chapter 9 can be used to introduce a couple of characters I thought she would not get to meet until the formal launch of the expedition in chapter 11, so I can restructure the plan for chapter 10 and 11 and I think they will flow more smoothly now is the most recent one of any substance.  Also, I think I have seen how to do a frame story for this one if I decide I want to, which I am not yet sure about and probably won't be until I have written the whole thing linearly.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »
Mine was a week or so ago, when I finally got all my antagonists' motivations in The Sequel worked out to my satisfaction.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »
in a modern fantasy setting, had a minor world detail about how the Spaniards kept the peace between mankind and the Spirits of Cattle through a mutual Sacrifice (they sacrificed their own in Bullfighting, we sacrificed ours in the Running of the Bulls).  Didnt even think it would ever appear in page.  Then I found out that in the Zoroastrian mythos the world is built on, the mutual deaths of the First Man and the First Bull were what planted the seeds for all animal life in the land, making it a much deeper and thematically resonant element.  Love it when thing fall into place.  :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:30:32 AM »
I discovered that Social Workers make great Urban fantasy protagonists.  Their job implies a level of self-sacrifice.  They're expected to be a little embittered and to know the cities criminal portions.  At the same time they aren't cops.  they can play looser with the rules(a little, not much, and they can be scared so much easier.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:17:20 PM »
a mind freezing panic attack for the MC. Followed by brilliance!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
I'm having a kind of rotten day at the moment, so I worked some of the frustration out by thrashing out the plot of volume 4 in somewhat more detail. (This is the thing of which i am currently working on volume 3.)  Along the way I figured out a few useful things about where the thread about the singer fits in and at which point moderate-separatist-political-opponent parts ways with extreme-separatist-political-opponent-who-condones-violence and instead joins forces with strange-charismatic-religious-leader.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 06:24:48 AM »
I had one.  I was sitting at a Weird Al concert grooving on the music and mulling over my Gunner character and wondering what he was going to do in this certain situation.  I realized my original idea wasn't going to work.  So I was grinding and grinding on it in my head.  When I remembered I'd added a new character a giant native to his gunnery crew and said native wasn't going to take this situation lying down.

Next thing I knew, instead of trying to figure out how the gunner was logically not going to wind up dead, I was envisioning the Last Charge of the Grease Monkeys and trying to figure out how the Chief Gunner and his Native sidekick were going to run out of steam before they hijacked my plot!

Eureka!  Oh crud!!!!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 02:37:27 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I was discussing my next book with my publisher, and how to make it stronger. Then it hit me, that I was so set on writing a 6-book series that I was thinning out the second book to keep important events for later.

I realised that by delaying the really good stuff I was shooting myself in the foot. So I agreed to re-write books 2 and 3 as a single novel and eventually do the same with books 5 and 6, spreading anything important from book 4 into each of them.

And bingo. I was now writing a trilogy.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
Not a real biggie.  I had a minor character do something annoying and discovered, to my surprise and delight, that I can use that incident and it's fallout later to help my heroine get out of a tight situation.
It involves frogs and Tibetan Prayer flags and don't ask.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
Not a real biggie.  I had a minor character do something annoying and discovered, to my surprise and delight, that I can use that incident and it's fallout later to help my heroine get out of a tight situation.
It involves frogs and Tibetan Prayer flags and don't ask.

And now all I want to do is ask!  :P
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.