Author Topic: Where to hide your Eldridge Abominations  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Where to hide your Eldridge Abominations
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:28:52 AM »
To put it simply i want to write a short story in a H.P. Lovecraft type style based in the city of Seoul, South Korea. I am currently living in the city so writing about it is not an issue but I have no idea where to put the damn monsters.

I know how i want them to look. I know what kind of nasty things they do to people. I have them pretty much fleshed out.

And I don't have a damn place to put the buggers.

Seoul is the second largest city in the world next to Tokyo but as far as i know there is nothing like Undertown here. There are the subway tunnels but they are all pretty new and well maintained. The sewer system is also very modern. There are tunnels, mostly dug by people fleeing North Korea, but they are found quickly and either sealed or collapsed quickly.

The problem is putting underground system that normal people couldn't find easily but could still access quickly within the city if they knew where it was. And as far as i know Korea is very efficient in keeping track of their underground in Seoul.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

cenwolfgirl

Re: Where to hide your Eldridge Abominations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
under briges?
hid them in abanded buildings
or big companies could be controled by them
grave yards
any of those help?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
Does Google Maps have reasonable coverage of Seoul ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »
Seoul doesn't really have abandoned buildings. In Korea when someplace goes under the rip it down and rebuild it in a matter of weeks, they are very officiant in that way but things have a tendency not to last very long. I am also trying to avoid water as much as i can for this story so as not to rip off Deepones so bridges don't work.

Google maps does but not of the underground. Due to the strife between North and South. You really don't want to be labled a North Korean sympathizer here.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
A soju brewery.

The presence of ancient evil would explain a great deal regarding what that stuff's done to me.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
Seoul doesn't really have abandoned buildings. In Korea when someplace goes under the rip it down and rebuild it in a matter of weeks, they are very officiant in that way but things have a tendency not to last very long. I am also trying to avoid water as much as i can for this story so as not to rip off Deepones so bridges don't work.

Would it work with the kind of thing you were doing to do something like a pocket dimension ?  A perfectly normal apartment building with one extra door somewhere that leads into a space that's not actually on the real-world map, and can be as big and complex as you like ?  That's an idea that would lend itself to Lovecraftian creepy, I think.

Google maps does but not of the underground. Due to the strife between North and South. You really don't want to be labled a North Korean sympathizer here.

Sorry, I'd not realised you were local and didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting dangerous things.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

o_O

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:59:08 PM »
Eh, ah, too bad water is out; that would have been my first suggestion.   

Question: do your Abominations have a "life"-cycle that would have allowed them to exist in rural settings?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 08:21:19 PM »
Put them in hidden water ways right under the international airport.  That way if they break out you could have scenes of mass panic as tourists and air port workers fled the area.

ahhahahah

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
Oh, and have you seen The Host ?

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:36 PM »
You can make something up too, or just make MORE out of something that is already there.
A quick search of historical sites found a few possibilities. I read an article about how modern the city is, but someone was quoted saying that every time they start a new project they dig up something that would be considered artifacts or historically important.

Any of the older temples or fortresses have potential.
I also found this:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/dprk/kpa-tunnels.htm

You might be able to expand on that somehow. Maybe the tunnels made it to Seoul and they gave a passage to the surface for things that would have otherwise been buried?
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

o_O

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »
Oh, and have you seen The Host ?

Is that that odd film about the water monster and the kiosk owner and the US base, that had less continuity than Buckaroo Banzai?

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Is that that odd film about the water monster and the kiosk owner and the US base, that had less continuity than Buckaroo Banzai?

That's the one. I rather liked it.

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 02:33:22 AM »
A soju brewery.

The presence of ancient evil would explain a great deal regarding what that stuff's done to me.
Lol yes that stuff is rather nasty, not as bad as Machaly though.

Would it work with the kind of thing you were doing to do something like a pocket dimension ?  A perfectly normal apartment building with one extra door somewhere that leads into a space that's not actually on the real-world map, and can be as big and complex as you like ?  That's an idea that would lend itself to Lovecraftian creepy, I think.

Sorry, I'd not realised you were local and didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting dangerous things.

I have thought of using pocket dimensions later in the story as part of the characters descent into madness. The first encounter i wanted to be underground. Though a pocket dimension in the subway tunnels could work. I am also only a local as long as my contract is going. I am from America but I teach English to kids here.

Eh, ah, too bad water is out; that would have been my first suggestion.   

Question: do your Abominations have a "life"-cycle that would have allowed them to exist in rural settings?

Rural setting is out because i want the terror to being living in the city so close that their is not escape. Rural settings work but not for what i have planned.

You can make something up too, or just make MORE out of something that is already there.
A quick search of historical sites found a few possibilities. I read an article about how modern the city is, but someone was quoted saying that every time they start a new project they dig up something that would be considered artifacts or historically important.

Any of the older temples or fortresses have potential.
I also found this:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/dprk/kpa-tunnels.htm

You might be able to expand on that somehow. Maybe the tunnels made it to Seoul and they gave a passage to the surface for things that would have otherwise been buried?

Yeah i had heard of these and may use them. Thanks for the article will help a lot.

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 02:40:52 AM »
To put it simply i want to write a short story in a H.P. Lovecraft type style based in the city of Seoul, South Korea. I am currently living in the city so writing about it is not an issue but I have no idea where to put the damn monsters.

I know how i want them to look. I know what kind of nasty things they do to people. I have them pretty much fleshed out.

And I don't have a damn place to put the buggers.

Seoul is the second largest city in the world next to Tokyo but as far as i know there is nothing like Undertown here. There are the subway tunnels but they are all pretty new and well maintained. The sewer system is also very modern. There are tunnels, mostly dug by people fleeing North Korea, but they are found quickly and either sealed or collapsed quickly.

The problem is putting underground system that normal people couldn't find easily but could still access quickly within the city if they knew where it was. And as far as i know Korea is very efficient in keeping track of their underground in Seoul.

This right here. I'm not sure about Seoul exactly, but even here around Cincinnati it is extremely common for there to be tunnels simply forgotten or "broken-down/decayed". Almost every city in the world is capable of having an entire underground world that normal folks just wouldn't know about. Heck, in Vegas there are literally hundreds of people living in these types of places.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
Considering that Seoul is pretty darn ancient, there should be ruins under ruins under ruins to work with.  Old construction, old cellars and suchlike with things like apartment buildings built over them...