Author Topic: All About Stunts!!  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: All About Stunts!!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 12:00:20 AM »
You can create a block with pretty much any skill as long as you can justify it.
Yeah, but its pretty hard to justify your pleading to the Shagnasty to not eat you. Its what they do. Plus there are similar stunts that let you broaden how easy it is to block with a skill. (Such as devout words under conviction.) More to the point its a social skill it normally

This has got me thinking of making a whole line of stunts for doing stuff with rapport. Only appropriate for a slightly silly game.

Banter: You may use rapport to maneuver placing aspects on people such as confused, listening to [character] or distracted.
Extreme Banter: Perform a block in a physical conflict. By making assorted comments and talking. This can either be a block against one person performing any actions, or a block against attacking you and close allies near you.
Inane Banter: You may go so far with your banter as to (when affecting one person) act as a grapple! You actually manage to inflict brain damage by making utterly absurd comments directed at one person. (This is the silliest, you may wish to change it to just social damage.)
Witty Banter: When in combat, any blocks using extreme banter directed people who would wish to harm you is at +2.
Quick Banter: You may defend from attacks with rapport by bantering with your targets. 

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »
Yeah, but its pretty hard to justify your pleading to the Shagnasty to not eat you. Its what they do. Plus there are similar stunts that let you broaden how easy it is to block with a skill. (Such as devout words under conviction.) More to the point its a social skill it normally

Except the stunt they're  suggesting can only be used on an ally and only when they are about to do something that will endanger them or their allies.  And it never implies in combat - although, I suppose you could prevent an ally from shooting someone in combat.  It happens all the time in movies, "Don't do it man;  he's not worth it!  You're better than this!"

Another example would be if they were charmed by a siren to steer the ship into the rocks.  You could use rapport to block the person from crashing the ship...at least temporarily...maybe long enough to sail past the rocks and out of ear-shot of the Siren. 

Which is why I don't think the block aspect should be a stunt at all.

Inane Banter: You may go so far with your banter as to (when affecting one person) act as a grapple! You actually manage to inflict brain damage by making utterly absurd comments directed at one person. (This is the silliest, you may wish to change it to just social damage.)

If it was Puns, I'd allow mental damage.  :P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:45:56 AM by Taran »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
You don't need a stunt to use Banter or Extreme Banter. The others are pretty cool.

Offline Lamech

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
You don't need a stunt to use Banter or Extreme Banter. The others are pretty cool.
I'm not sure if I would allow someone to pull that off in combat, especially the blocks, if someone is shooting at you, you'll be able to ignore the person yapping at you. Maybe combine them in one stunt. 

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 11:25:24 PM »
Float Like a Butterfly: When dodging using your Footwork, spend a fate point to gain a +2 to Fists.

For reference, Footwork is the stunt that lets you dodge using Fists rather than Athletics.

Any good? Should I remove the fate point requirement? I'm of the feeling though that if the fate point requirement is taken away it gives what amounts to a flat +2 to dodging, which is the major part of the Athletics skill, and could be used to give a flat +6/+7 skill in dodging to pure mortal characters, which I hold as (almost) physically impossible.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »
Useless. You can spend a Fate Point to do that anyway. (If you're taking this stunt, then obviously you have appropriate Aspects.)

Bump the bonus up to +4, once/defense. That way it's like a normal +2 defense stunt, with the limiting condition of "only on rolls that I invoke an aspect for +2 on".

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »
as Sanctaphrax said

consider this alternative:
+1 to defence rolls using fists, and an additional +1 when invoking an aspect to boost or reroll such a defense roll
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 02:39:38 AM »
as Sanctaphrax said

consider this alternative:
+1 to defence rolls using fists, and an additional +1 when invoking an aspect to boost or reroll such a defense roll

There's no point in spending that fate point.  I normally get +2 anyway.  Unless you're saying it'd be a total of +3.

I'd make it +1 to defense rolls using fists against either melee or ranged attacks.  By spending a fate point, you may increase this bonus to +4 once per scene.

I don't like the idea of just boosting all defense rolls.  Make it a choice for melee or ranged.  Allow the fate point to be much more effective.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 04:23:01 AM »
There's no point in spending that fate point.  I normally get +2 anyway.  Unless you're saying it'd be a total of +3.
Well, +3 or +1 and a reroll.  That's why it says additional.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
Well, +3 or +1 and a reroll.  That's why it says additional.

Ah.  I'm of the opinion that when you're writing a rule, if you can give a total number, do so.  It takes away any ambiguity and eases player math when they're looking over shorthand notes.