Author Topic: How to bring a group together...  (Read 3726 times)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How to bring a group together...
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »
It worked for the movie Predators. :)

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »
Glad somebody caught that.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 10:45:56 PM »
Damn, I really need to catch that movie. Maybe after i've finished watching The Hunger Games and Buffy (the series, not the movie).
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
Great suggestions! Thanks everyone. I can see a lot of good ideas for 2nd and 3rd adventures too!

As I look through my group, I realize that they are very much individuals by design. They don't really answer to anybody that cares (unless it is THEIR neck on the line). Plus our adventure is taking place during the Red Court War, meaning that all the Wardens have left to fight the war in other locations.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:05 PM »
Then give each one of them an individual stake in the adventure. Maybe have a Faerie queen or other plot-device-level character strongarm them collectively into a bargain. Gives them a reason to work together.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 12:39:19 AM »
As I look through my group, I realize that they are very much individuals by design.

It's like Wolverine. He's the "loner", but damn if he doesn't find some excuse to go out heroing with his X-Men buddies every now and then. As long as your players are on board with teaming up so it doesn't cause you trouble, it's all good.

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 08:55:43 AM »
I had a group at one point where they pretty much all built loner characters. I decided rather than stretching the laws of credulity as to why all these independents suddenly wanted to work as a team I'd take a leaf out of the first episode of the TV show Leverage.

Have them contracted out individually on a job, something that runs on the grey side of the law, and when they come to collect payment, have their employer doublecross them, leaveing them for dead. The obvious mission then becomes to track down their previous employer and enact some form of payback, but because the employer is either high profile (in the mundane or supernatural world); backed by some greater threat; or just plain difficult to track down, the PC's will have to keep working together to do so.

Offline Jimmy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »
Start them off in a warehouse standing over a corpse and a bag of money, pistols pointed at each other.

Then flashback to your actual adventure.  :)

Oooo...love doing this in a game.
Be professional, be polite, and have a plan to kill everybody that you meet...

Offline burningcrow

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 07:05:56 AM »
Use the game mechanics. Compel them to be there.
Ask them why they think the compelled aspect would make them be there.
Let them do the work.

::)