Author Topic: What do you wish you'd known when you started?  (Read 4915 times)

Offline synobal

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What do you wish you'd known when you started?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »
White court vampires are totally unfair.

I never seem to use Athletics, endurance and discipline.

Discipline doesn't help against white court vampires.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 02:48:54 AM »

Er - you could always use discipline to defend against seduction attempts. Athletics lets you defend against physical attacks, and Endurance isn't really a skill you will end up rolling for a lot - it mainly modifies other stuff, like stress, long actions, etc.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Mr. Cool Breeze

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 03:34:35 AM »
Wish I'd have understood City Creation much, much better than I did. It adds a whole lot to the game, and I didn't realize that until I'd been playing for a while.

Oh and so as not to be rude; Lurked for about a month, just joined, First post. Hi Y'all.

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 01:09:47 PM »
Wish I'd have understood City Creation much, much better than I did. It adds a whole lot to the game, and I didn't realize that until I'd been playing for a while.

Oh and so as not to be rude; Lurked for about a month, just joined, First post. Hi Y'all.

Hey!  Welcome to the party.  Grab a drink.  They're free, but be sure to tip your bartender.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
Hey!  Welcome to the party.  Grab a drink.  They're free, but be sure to tip your bartender.

And don't accept punch from Red Court Vampires. Or any vampires, really.  :P
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
And don't accept punch from Red Court Vampires. Or any vampires, really.  :P
Or the Sidhe, or the fallen, or the...ya know what you should probably just bring your own drink with you and just never set it down.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 04:12:34 PM »

What is your problem with the Orbius spell? - Never mind. Read your other posts
I dared our wizard player to use the Orbius spell against an ogre. He did. Then he threw Cold Iron Dust on the Ogre and tried the Orbius spell again.

I cried a little.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
Actually, I feel like this is something that a group has to get utterly wrong at least once to learn from it and really appreciate the strength of this.

Though I think that goes for most of the things said in this thread. I like the "learning by doing" approach, and I think it served me well so far.

Only one thing maybe. Look over the characters handed to you from new players. Really REALLY look over them and figure out what the player wants with the character and talk to the player what he wants from the character. If a character is in itself not coherent, it can tear a hole in your game the size of a dozen critical hits.

Hi, welcome to the boards. Have fun :)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »
Actually, I feel like this is something that a group has to get utterly wrong at least once to learn from it and really appreciate the strength of this.

Though I think that goes for most of the things said in this thread. I like the "learning by doing" approach, and I think it served me well so far.

Only one thing maybe. Look over the characters handed to you from new players. Really REALLY look over them and figure out what the player wants with the character and talk to the player what he wants from the character. If a character is in itself not coherent, it can tear a hole in your game the size of a dozen critical hits.
Hi, welcome to the boards. Have fun :)
Agreed 100% on character creation.  That is why I told my players to think of a character concept in terms of story and narrative first and we would figure out powers after we had the backstory and aspects nailed down.  I found it made for much more interesting role playing and more organic stat and power builds.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
Welcome onboard, Mr. Cool Breeze.

This is all so contrary to my own experience, I must be missing something.

Could you please explain further?

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
This is all so contrary to my own experience, I must be missing something.

Could you please explain further?
Seconded, please. My experience is that white court vampires burn themselves out in conflict, and they are fairly one-note in role-playing. Of course, that could be our fault...

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
I feel that WCV's are weaker than many character options because they don't have one focus area and have a sort of multi-skill dependency problem (similar to multi-attribute dependency from D&D, here's looking at you Monks/Swashbucklers/Hybrid-PRC's). They need high Deceit/Intimidate for their Incite Emotion, high combat skills to make full use of their Strength/Speed powers and Discipline so they don't get overwhelmed by hunger every scene. They also have this mix of physical combat powers and mental manipulation powers that make them less strong in either area than a character focused only one one.

On the other hand I don't know why you say they "burn themselves out in conflict," and that they are "one note" in role playing. They are one of the character types that I feel does best in a long fight. They do not have limited resources like Wizards, they have recovery/toughness if they need it, they generally have high defenses due to the need for discipline and their speed power. On the other hand their attacks are weaker than a Wizard's or a character built for physical combat (like a shapeshifter whose were-form is combat oriented).

I also feel they have some of the more interesting role playing. They have all the potential decisions of any human-like character plus the added depth of a struggle with their demon. If you let them just feed on every normal person they meet with no down side then they are one note, but if you produce consequences for killing people (like trouble from the local authorities, or just crises of conscience) then they have to be very careful with their powers and their feeding, this is an area ripe for compels. Like any character it just comes down to how you play it, if you play them "chaotic neutral/evil" then they can be one note (unless you make this a complication for them), if you try to play them "good"  then they get a lot of depth from the inner conflict.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »
I completely agree with the inner depth of having a character play one. My experience with them burning out, and most of my experience really, is with White Court Vampires as NPCs. Once the players figure out what they feed on, it is easy for them to overcome thier strengths and tax their hunger stress track.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 06:30:24 AM »
   Which brings up a new item for the "New GM beware" conversation. If there are going to be vampires of any stripe in your game (and it would be hard for there not to be), you'll want to really read how hunger stress works and understand that system, because it's a little counter intuitive to how you'd expect it to work.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »
   Which brings up a new item for the "New GM beware" conversation. If there are going to be vampires of any stripe in your game (and it would be hard for there not to be), you'll want to really read how hunger stress works and understand that system, because it's a little counter intuitive to how you'd expect it to work.

Yes.