Author Topic: Lycanthropic magic  (Read 1249 times)

Offline lokpik89

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Lycanthropic magic
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:55:13 AM »
ive been searching through for the last few hours and cant find anything on this.
im thinking of a character lycanthrope sorcerer/focused talent. during his 5 days of the month  should his spells be augmented like *spoiler
(click to show/hide)

Offline Praxidicae

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Lycanthropic magic
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:32 AM »
The only bonus I would personally allow would be allowing the invocation of his lycanthropic aspect on spells relating to that nature (e.g. those involving animals, tracking, nature and violence) and I'd allow that regardless of the time of the month. During the 5 day period I would actually propose compelling that aspect for spell failure (The character is supposed to become a prototypical Norse Berserker - prone to bouts of uncontrollable raging fury and not well known for composure or control), or at least to compel the character to put excess energy into fallout when the choice wouldn't be optimal.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »
Human Form and Refinement or Sponsored Magic.

Offline Chao

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »
Another possibility is a stunt giving bonuses to conviction or some such other during his lycanthropic rages in exchange for loss of discipline or defense- kind of like the rage stunts seen elsewhere on this board. Personally, I like the penalty to discipline idea, as you can be throwing out huge evocations in exchange for a whole ton of fallout - exactly what one would expect from a berserk spellcaster!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »
Won't work, sadly. Fallout reduces spell power.

So if I toss out a 10 shift attack spell with 4 shifts of fallout, it's only weapon 6. I might as well just have used a 6 shift spell.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »
Unless you've got a cooperative GM that at least makes those shifts of fallout into a double-edged sword, in which case they might be situationally better than just a weaker but fully controlled attack.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough