Author Topic: Lifting Things  (Read 1464 times)

Offline KnightOrbis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Lifting Things
« on: July 29, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »
After looking at all the strength power i was wondering how you determine the maximum amount of weight ,in tonnes, kg, lbs etc , a character can lift. Ex, If someone had a Might Score of 10 how much weight could they carry.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Lifting Things
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 12:37:57 AM »
After looking at all the strength power i was wondering how you determine the maximum amount of weight ,in tonnes, kg, lbs etc , a character can lift. Ex, If someone had a Might Score of 10 how much weight could they carry.
Other people will likely have a different take on this than me.  But personally I wouldn't even think of it in measurements of weight or size.  Think of it in terms of difficulty ratings.  What would be the difficulty roll for a normal mortal to lift an iron gate?  A car?  A bus?

The number of shifts needed to succeed in lifting something doesn't change if you have a strength power.  It just makes it easier to reach that number.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:40:39 AM »
There's a table on YS321.  Are you looking for something more numerical?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline KnightOrbis

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:25:22 AM »
I lost my copy of YS a while back before I started playing (friend gave it to me), so I can't remember reading any table. But I was looking for something like how marvel and dc does it, more numerical.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 02:01:28 AM »
The table uses examples, a poor Might lets you lift a child and an Epic result a motorcycle for example.  You can approximate those by (Might +2)^3 in kilograms.  It is just an approximation though.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »
I'm not really a fan of numerical tables; they aren't realistic or easy to use. Do you know how much a tree weighs? Because I don't. And it's a bit silly to say that a 500-pound backpack is no easier to carry than a 500-pound boulder.

So yeah...I prefer the approach in YS.

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 05:56:43 PM »
I'm not really a fan of numerical tables; they aren't realistic or easy to use. Do you know how much a tree weighs? Because I don't. And it's a bit silly to say that a 500-pound backpack is no easier to carry than a 500-pound boulder.

So yeah...I prefer the approach in YS.
Couldn't agree more.  I've always found them to slow down games pretty badly.  When you have to stop and calculate stiff like weight or distance down to the pound or foot it's just no fun.

I don't know what page but YS specifically mentions you won't find thoes kinds of charts and tables in the book, and that aspects are intended to cover things like that.