Author Topic: Ask a simple question...  (Read 18606 times)

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple question...
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
For my own games, I tend to have Greater Glamours treated as illusions, transformation, and items of convenience. Nothing created can attack in a conflict unless it already could (like turning a human into a hound).

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
Do rolls favour the attacker or defender? Say a werewolf attacks me at Great, I manage to defend at Great. What happens?

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
Rolls favour the attacker. So, in the example, the attack hits, but for 0 shifts. Then you add Weapon bonuses from Claws, Strength, Weapons, and subtract Armour bonuses.
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »
I see now. I just misread. It says you can't make focus items to empower other focus items.

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
For my own games, I tend to have Greater Glamours treated as illusions, transformation, and items of convenience. Nothing created can attack in a conflict unless it already could (like turning a human into a hound).

See, I'd say they could, since they're just another kind of (very realistic) ectoplasmic construct. So if you created a greater glamour of a sword with true seeming, it'd be a sword.

Next question: would a conjured iron sword satisfy a Faerie's Catch? And how would it interact with an Ogre's Physical Immunity to Mortal Magic?
GENERATION 24: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
My understanding, and I could be totally wrong, is that it has to be COLD iron, which means iron that was refined a certain way. I would assume that magically conjured iron would not meet a fiary's catch.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2012, 07:53:03 PM »
My understanding, and I could be totally wrong, is that it has to be COLD iron, which means iron that was refined a certain way. I would assume that magically conjured iron would not meet a fiary's catch.
The Za Lord's Guard employed common box cutters in a manner that certainly seemed to be sufficiently efficacious as to be satisfying a certain Sidhe's Catch.

Next question: would a conjured iron sword satisfy a Faerie's Catch? And how would it interact with an Ogre's Physical Immunity to Mortal Magic?

IMO, the resulting sword would NOT satisfy an iron catch, and might be negated (or at least ignored) by Immunity to Mortal Magic.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline THE_ANGRY_GAMER

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »

In the books, it seems to be ANY Iron which hurts Faeries, including the parts in steel, etc.

IMO, the resulting sword would NOT satisfy an iron catch, and might be negated (or at least ignored) by Immunity to Mortal Magic.

Hmm. I think it might be negated by the Immunity, but the writeup (and the books) state that conjured objects are EXACTLY what they're supposed to be, in every possible way (see the Construct Germs in DM). So, maybe it would satisfy the Faerie's Catch. Of course, there's nothing to stop the Faerie disrupting or dispelling the construct.

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2012, 05:46:34 AM »
See, I'd say they could, since they're just another kind of (very realistic) ectoplasmic construct. So if you created a greater glamour of a sword with true seeming, it'd be a sword.

A conjured iron/steel sword is a iron/steel sword. As for an Ogre's Physical Immunity to Mortal Magic, as it's a stacked catch and it still has the vulnerability to iron, it would cut through it like a hot knife through butter, just like a (force or earth) evocation strike of propelled iron filings. A stacked catch can't protect you from your normal catch's weakness.

And on that note:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:00:58 AM by GryMor »

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2012, 07:12:08 AM »
Ah, yes, conjured iron and faeries was another of those questions I forgot.

In that same vein - Say I hit a Ogre with a spirit evocation and describe it as drawing my sword with supernatural speed and enhancing the momentum even further to slash the Ogre, a la Aristedes. With it ignore Magic Immunity? Or would I have to compel the Ogre for it to work? Or would it not just work, no matter how many fate points I pay? Or is it treated as if I has made a regular attack with the sword?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »
There is no correct answer.

There are no mechanics for what satisfies a Catch, the question is left entirely to group discretion.

I'd let such an attack bypass magic immunity, but I wouldn't let spirit evocation do anything like that without a special Power. Spirit already does way too much.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
Right. Out of curiosity, how would you model Aristedes's abilities, if simply giving him Inhumans wasn't an option?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »
Ah, yes, conjured iron and faeries was another of those questions I forgot.

In that same vein - Say I hit a Ogre with a spirit evocation and describe it as drawing my sword with supernatural speed and enhancing the momentum even further to slash the Ogre, a la Aristedes. With it ignore Magic Immunity? Or would I have to compel the Ogre for it to work? Or would it not just work, no matter how many fate points I pay? Or is it treated as if I has made a regular attack with the sword?

I would use aspect invocation.

For Aristides, I would have him have a stunt that allows him to use channeling for skill replacement rolls.  So a power 6 effect could be a Fatadtic Athletics result.  He'd burn out quickly though.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2012, 02:11:28 AM »
Right. Out of curiosity, how would you model Aristedes's abilities, if simply giving him Inhumans wasn't an option?

MAGICAL SELF-ENHANCEMENT [+varies]
Description: Many supernatural abilities can be mimicked through an application of spellcasting. But that requires specialization, of the sort that this power represents.
Musts: A character must possess the Evocation, Channeling, and/or Sponsored Magic powers in order to use this one. Other powers to link this power to are also required.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Limited Powers. When you take this power, you must select at least one other supernatural power that you possess. Which powers may be selected with this power is a matter of the GM's discretion. The selected powers are disabled, and the character gets a rebate equal to one-third of the powers' total cost.
Magical Self-Enhancement. This power allows the user to grant themselves access to the selected powers through evocation. Such evocations may be of any element that makes sense, and they may be offensive or defensive. The power required of an evocation that grants powers is equal to the total refresh cost of the granted powers plus the intended duration. The user may extend this effect using the normal rules for the extension of evocation, and they may choose to grant themselves only a few of the selected powers. This also allows them to grant lesser versions of the selected powers. For example, a character who had selected Supernatural Strength and Inhuman Speed with this power may grant themselves Inhuman Strength for 5 exchanges with a 7-shift evocation.
Magical Enhancement [-varies]. This option removes the rebate from Magical Self-Enhancement, making the total cost of the power 0. In exchange, it gives the user the ability to cast power-granting evocations on other characters. Please note that these evocations cannot be zone-wide.

For Aristides, I would have him have a stunt that allows him to use channeling for skill replacement rolls.  So a power 6 effect could be a Fatadtic Athletics result.  He'd burn out quickly though.

I'm like the general idea, though it could be worryingly powerful. How exactly would this work? Would one stunt cover every skill? Would such spells take an action?

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
MAGICAL SELF-ENHANCEMENT [+varies]
Description: Many supernatural abilities can be mimicked through an application of spellcasting. But that requires specialization, of the sort that this power represents.
Musts: A character must possess the Evocation, Channeling, and/or Sponsored Magic powers in order to use this one. Other powers to link this power to are also required.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Limited Powers. When you take this power, you must select at least one other supernatural power that you possess. Which powers may be selected with this power is a matter of the GM's discretion. The selected powers are disabled, and the character gets a rebate equal to one-third of the powers' total cost.
Magical Self-Enhancement. This power allows the user to grant themselves access to the selected powers through evocation. Such evocations may be of any element that makes sense, and they may be offensive or defensive. The power required of an evocation that grants powers is equal to the total refresh cost of the granted powers plus the intended duration. The user may extend this effect using the normal rules for the extension of evocation, and they may choose to grant themselves only a few of the selected powers. This also allows them to grant lesser versions of the selected powers. For example, a character who had selected Supernatural Strength and Inhuman Speed with this power may grant themselves Inhuman Strength for 5 exchanges with a 7-shift evocation.
Magical Enhancement [-varies]. This option removes the rebate from Magical Self-Enhancement, making the total cost of the power 0. In exchange, it gives the user the ability to cast power-granting evocations on other characters. Please note that these evocations cannot be zone-wide.

I'm like the general idea, though it could be worryingly powerful. How exactly would this work? Would one stunt cover every skill? Would such spells take an action?

I'd have it include Athletics, Might, and Fists (technically it'd be a power, not a stunt, which is my mistake).  It would take an action to cast the spell. 

Example:
Aristides casts a 6 shift evocation to grant him superspeed.  This is a standard action.  His Athletics always yields a Fantastic result (before situational modifiers) until the end of his next turn.

So he may use athletics to move very quickly on his next turn, and gets a bonus to dodging this turn.  It's not very powerful (slightly better than a block if used for defense rolls). 

The idea is that it takes an exchange to be used (Round 1: You cast.  Round 2: You use the skill), so allowing it to apply to things like defense rolls is a fair trade off.  Even with Fists (where you get defense rolls and an attack) it's balanced by having to wait to attack, and only getting one attack.

I'm not sure if I would allow these to be prolonged.  I'd have to actually playtest this to see if it becomes the strategic default to do so.  It probably wouldn't hurt to allow shifts to be spend to extend duration.  Note, though, that this IS better than a block.  The fact that spellcasters tend to be weak defensively (without enchanted items) is the only thing making me wary of this.