Author Topic: Ask a simple question...  (Read 18362 times)

Offline AstronaughtAndy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a simple question...
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 05:42:57 AM »
Maybe it was Spirit of the Century, but I think in some FATE games, you can take a penalty greater than -1 to your main action to do something like run across a parking lot, jump a fence and then punch a dude in the face, taking a penalty equal to the movement necessary to cover the parking lot and fence.

I also think there's a section that talks about using extra shifts of success after an action to do something else. The example involves Michael Carpenter cutting down a demon/cultist and using his extra shifts to start running out of a collapsing temple/building.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
Per the book you may get one supplemental action and a GM dependent number of free actions per turn.  Along with your main action of course.  Though overflow actions may or may not allow a second supplemental - that isn't clear. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
Are players allowed to trade fate points between themselves?

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
Are players allowed to trade fate points between themselves?
Not in any direct fashion.  But that's where teamwork comes in.  Yo may not be able to give another player your FP's, but making assessments, declairations, and compels to aid another player is a huge part of the game.

Of course it's entirely feaseable to create a power of some sort that could allow very limited FP trading.  Heck I wouldn't be surprised if there's one in the custom powers thread already.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
I don't really think there's a need to give away fate points - you can spend them to invoke their aspects when appropriate.  It gives you the advantages of trading fate points while allowing you to retain control of how they're used.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
I don't really think there's a need to give away fate points - you can spend them to invoke their aspects when appropriate.  It gives you the advantages of trading fate points while allowing you to retain control of how they're used.
I was mostly just pointing out it is possible to come up with in game mechanics for FP trading.  But I do agree with you.  There is little meaningful difference between trading someone a FP and using one to make a declairation and letting someone else tag the aspect.

The latteris actually better because someone else is using their action and you can tag it on your next action instead of having to wait an entire exchange.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »
Per the book you may get one supplemental action and a GM dependent number of free actions per turn.  Along with your main action of course.  Though overflow actions may or may not allow a second supplemental - that isn't clear.

Could I get a page reference?

I'm not doubting you, I just want to see what I missed.

PS: I once considered a custom Power that transferred Refresh and FP, but I never went anywhere with it. It was intended for God and other such beings, who can actually create free-willed entities.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
It's spread throughout the 'Playing the Game' chapter.  The Grapple section explicitly offers a choice ("or" not and) between supplemental actions.  What you can do on YS199, the example on YS212, the description of free and supplemental actions on YS213, and the definition on YS401 all refer to supplemental actions in the singular while referring to free actions in the plural.  Meanwhile free actions explicitly allow you to break the one action per turn rule but, if you do enough of them, may become a (singular) supplemental action.  Overflow actions are discussed on YS214.
--

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
If each breaking of a law of magic has a bad effect on you, what happens when a chronomancer goes against the flow of time? Does she exist a little less or just slowly go insane or something else?

Offline JDK002

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 09:34:24 PM »
If each breaking of a law of magic has a bad effect on you, what happens when a chronomancer goes against the flow of time? Does she exist a little less or just slowly go insane or something else?
That law is less a "this is dark magic that will destroy you if you use it." and more a "don't do this because you could cause all of time and space to unravel.  No seriously."

But you could make them take aspects that perhaps they are having trouble experiencing time in a linear perception due to excessive time travel.  Or maybe they are getting past or future "echos".  Seeing ghostly images of things that happened or will happen overlayed on top of the here and now.  If you have played the Assassins Creed games you'll know exactly what I means.

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
That law is less a "this is dark magic that will destroy you if you use it." and more a "don't do this because you could cause all of time and space to unravel.  No seriously."

But you could make them take aspects that perhaps they are having trouble experiencing time in a linear perception due to excessive time travel.  Or maybe they are getting past or future "echos".  Seeing ghostly images of things that happened or will happen overlayed on top of the here and now.  If you have played the Assassins Creed games you'll know exactly what I means.

I know it is one of the 3 laws that you just shouldn't do, but the law about outsiders has a huge bad effect on you just like the necromancy leaves an evil (or 'true') magic stain on your soul just as much as killing or transforming someone else does. I would have to assume that chronomancy does the same thing if you go against the flow of time.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »
Most of those 'stain on your soul' changes amount to varying degrees of 'breaking this Law is no big deal'.

Killing with magic?  'You're good enough, important enough, to judge when it's 'okay' to kill.  You have that RIGHT.'
Seeking beyond the Gates?  'Power is just power, man.  It's all in how you use it, and I can handle this.'
etc

The Bad Things (tm) that can come from breaking a particular Law might be why you shouldn't do it, but the changes breaking those Laws have on your soul don't have to be connected in the least.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
I would have to assume that chronomancy does the same thing if you go against the flow of time.
Most of the Laws can simply be treated as addictive 'substances'.  It's so easy to solve your problem with time travel you want to use it every time you have a problem.  Before too long you don't even care about extraneous effects as long as your problem is fixed.

If you don't like the addictive model, you can treat time travel as something which corrupts the time stream.  Ripples which resonate up and down the time traveler's life affecting him and those nearby.
--

Offline Chrono

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys!

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 04:00:36 AM »
Not sure how simple this is, but...

How feasible, exactly, is it to make it so that only mortals can have Evocation and Thaumaturgy, and fully supernatural beings must take some kind of Sponsored Magic to use magic?

Related to the above, can you take specializations for Sponsored Magic? What about Soulfire?