Author Topic: Weapons ratings and blocks  (Read 5108 times)

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons ratings and blocks
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
Game mechanically, the only thing missing from the "Morgan nuked a Naagolshii" bit is that Morgan nuked a Naagolshii. If it didn't have PI up (or if a nuke satisfies it's catch), and Morgan, by trickery and modern knowledge it lacked, blindsided it with a nuke (a holy pile of manauvers, assessments and declarations), all it really says is that the nuke had a relatively high weapon rating and enough circumstantial modifiers to make it a better weapon than Morgan's personal nova potential (not being magic being WAY up there on the list, against a Naagolshii)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons ratings and blocks
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 02:12:32 AM »
Nukes are not special/magical. They are just another way to release a lot of energy in a (to human sensors) instant.

Well said.

I do have to ask one thing though - is someone really planning to use nukes or equivalent in game?  Or have we chased an argument down a rabbit hole?

Oh, we've definitely chased an argument down a rabbit hole. That being said, I expect to use a nuke sooner or later. Seems inevitable, especially since Nicodemus stole a nuclear submarine.

If you'd like to interpret it that way, I suppose; though its creating a new mechanic, not ignoring existing ones.  Its got precident on these forums -- for example, there are some who consider ACAEBG a problem, and deal with it by creating custom powers to "ignore" those rules.  :)

Not equivalent. TINS is no more a change to the rules than Titanic Size is. Actually altering the core resolution mechanic of a game is much more of a change than adding a Power.

Though it's true that it could be a change rather than a bypass, if planned beforehand.

Ok, I'm with you on this.  But I'm not going to suggest ways to deal with nukes assuming that everyone has bought into a custom Thaumaturgy ruleset -- especially since I don't recall there being even a tentative consensus reached during the discussions had on that topic so far.

Everyone agrees that it should be harder than it is, right?

Relevant, yes.  Correct ... well, opinions vary, obviously.

Eh, I've never heard any reasonable criticisms.

But even beyond that, nukes are the very pinnacle of humananity's potential for destruction.  If you can withstand a nuke, then there's basically nothing humanity can do you.

That's a joke, right?