Author Topic: Why do you Write?  (Read 8950 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you Write?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
I like to write because I have stories to tell. As a child I played elaborate imaginary games and made up complex characters and background stories to fit into my imaginary world. I still have the imagination and still create scenarios, characters, and worlds in my mind but I would like to share them with others and see if they will get as much joy out of them as I have. I read books by some, certainly not all, published writers and say, "I could do better than that." I have loved to read as far back as I can remember. I loved a well crafted story. I love the way a good author can weave seemingly disparate parts together to make a seamless story. I love meeting characters in a book and them seeming as real as people that I know. I love all these things and I want to be a part of creating them.
^This for me as well.  My biggest roadblock is that I dont think in word, I think in pictures.  And not even useful pictures that I could do much in the way of Art with (its anchored in 3D in my head, and I can never manage to flatten it properly into a 2d image for drawing/painting type art.  And its pretty hard to tell a story with sculpture). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 11:01:17 AM »
Okay I will admit it, I write for the money. Even so it only amounts to around 2% of my annual income, 10% if you count the tax deductions. Grin.

My wife is my coauthor, and she says that writing helps the voices in here head go away. Also it is something we can do together now that the kids are out of the house.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline blauregen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
I started to write a fanfiction in the DV mostly to strengthen my precarious grip on the english language. And because I really don't want to mess with established characters, I placed it in Europe, where Harry probably never will stumble over the places where my original characters interact with unofficial offshots of vampire courts, Sidhe and other dregs. That makes it an exercise in world building as well.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »
I have stories and people in my head who want to come out and play, and they won't take "NO!" for an answer.

I've always been an organized daydreamer and a big gamer.  Started playing A D&D way back in the day, moved on to MMORPG's.  In City of Heroes and Star Trek Online I found myself constructing elaborate character descriptions for that limited little bio box, and found myself getting royally pissed that I couldn't fit more in.  Then my fleet on STO started doing some literary challenges, basic stuff like "flesh out your character bio, explain how they came to be part of Project Christopher."  That was last summer.

My 300 letter in game character bio is now up to 30,000 or so words. 

It's on hold because one of the "Writing gigs" Kristine kindly shared got my brain hopping up and down.  I got to thinking about how (and why) people in an highly advanced society could be forced to rely on things like steamers, zeppelins, clockwork while still keeping a tasty hard-science shell.  (No use of Absurdium or The Ninth Ray Of Ether, for example.)  That story's up to 24-25 K or so and going strong.  Original characters who I created for The Devil in the DNA have jumped the fence, shucked their uniforms and serial numbers and are now running and frolicking in my own original world and story. 

I just can't not do it.  I guess my subconscious finally decided that the stories and characters in most games just weren't as fun as the ones gibbering and meeping in my head.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »
I write because I must. It is simply in my genetic makeup. How it got there, I will never know.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »
It lets me think through all the crazy theories and questions going around my head.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
It lets me think through all the crazy theories and questions going around my head.

Gets the crazies out FTW!!
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
I resent that. I retain every ounce of crazy, they just get better thought out.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »
I resent that. I retain every ounce of crazy, they just get better thought out.

*nods*

So they don't leak out and infect the innocent or so they leak out and infect the innocent?
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Gilitine_Memitim

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
Maybe I should consider leaking some out *looks thoughtful*'

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »
Oooooo, you should. *nods*

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
Or just keep it all in until your head explodes.
*nodnod*
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 05:02:25 PM »
Or just keep it all in until your head explodes.
*nodnod*

Always with the explosions.
I prefer the leaking out of the ears method myself.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
Hey. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »
Hey. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you've broken it, it's probably impossible to fix.
Unless you're a puzzle genius.