Author Topic: Very nebulous idea...  (Read 3409 times)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Re: Very nebulous idea...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
Hey SHS, if you're unsure of whether something should be posted openly or not,
just put it in spoilers.  The Mods don't always get around to every thread.

As for your idea - I think it's very interesting.
I seem to remember, and I'm sorry I can't remember the author or the title, a book about a character
where the world he lived in there were different forms or schools of magic and everybody specialized - but he, through various adventures ended up learning the different forms which paid off in the end.

Your idea is far more advanced and has a great deal of potential.
  I know I'm borrowing this from another story but what about 'Wild Magic'.  I seem to remember that it was naturally occurring magic as opposed to trained/controlled magic.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
I'm planning on addressing that later on in the story.
But I'm also planning on replacing the freeman's house with a Storm House as Quantus put it. Maybe having the Freeman of the group be a person that saved the Prince's life.
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:48:37 PM »
I seem to remember, and I'm sorry I can't remember the author or the title, a book about a character
where the world he lived in there were different forms or schools of magic and everybody specialized - but he, through various adventures ended up learning the different forms which paid off in the end.

Lyndon Hardy wrote a trilogy called Master of the Five Magics, Secret of the Sixth Magic and Riddle of the Seven Realms. I don't know if these are the ones that you are referring to. There are a few similarities to HS's story but they are very small. Overall I would say that HS's story sounds very different from these except for the coincidence of the five magics. For one thing in these stories most people in Hardy's story ( I read them years ago ) could specialize in only one type of magic.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »
Could be OZ - I truly don't remember.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 12:23:22 PM »
Great Ideas, its sounding pretty good.  You have a world, a magic and social framework, an MC and Supporting Characters, at least a starting point of the plots.

Any more nebulous areas of the idea we can help delve?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »
Not right now. Thanks for all the help guys.
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.