Author Topic: Fanfiction: Is It Real Writing?  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
Fanfiction: Is It Real Writing?
« on: June 25, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »
So, I had this conversation with a relative not long ago, and it sort of bugged me.  I told her I'd written some fanfiction (how I started out writing), and she answered by saying, well, you should try writing your own story one day.  And I argued back that the story is mine, that I'm just using a particularly character in a original story of my own design with completely original characters sprinkled in, but she didn't seem to think of it that way.

I thought over what she said, went back and read my stories...and they could all fit in the original category, if I changed the names - and no one would be the wiser.   ;) 

What do you think?  Do you give any credence to fanfiction, consider it on par with other fiction?  Or do you consider it a level down?

It was a good place for me to start...

Just curious what others think.
"I exist, therefore, I obsess."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfiction: Is It Real Writing?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:00:25 PM »
I'm not much into fanfiction, but, like all other fiction, its legitimacy is entirely dependent on the individual work. Consider, for example, all the fantasy compilations out there where multiple authors are given a common world to write in (e.g., Thieves' World); it seems pretty much parallel to fanfic, in that they're using other people's creations, but given that they're pro authors and they get praised for their work in those compilations, that makes it sound as legit as anything else.

Still, for someone trying to make a name for himself, it would seem more effective to do so for his own story, not someone else's. Yes, there's plenty of awful fanfic out there, but there's also a lot of awful pro fiction, so quality has no direct correlation to that question of "originality". So, again, it's an individual thing and what the writer DOES with it.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »
Depends.  I've read some fanfiction that's better than a lot of published stuff, and some that's utter crapola.  I think ultimately that creating your own characters and setting is a lot more rewarding (and difficult!) but as long as you respect any rules the original creator may have, and don't do anything dumb like try to sell it on Amazon, I don't see any real harm.  It can be good practice and a lot of fun. 

Also, bear in mind that a few writers of original fiction (PN Elrod and Peter David come to mind) got their start in fanfic.  If you stick to public domain characters, you can publish without fear of litigation--I've read an excellent series of mysteries that are basically Shakespeare fanfic.   And don't forget the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy, which is actually Twilight fanfiction with the names changed (I haven't read this, so I can't speak for the quality, but it is very popular.)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
I'm not much into fanfiction, but, like all other fiction, its legitimacy is entirely dependent on the individual work. Consider, for example, all the fantasy compilations out there where multiple authors are given a common world to write in (e.g., Thieves' World); it seems pretty much parallel to fanfic, in that they're using other people's creations, but given that they're pro authors and they get praised for their work in those compilations, that makes it sound as legit as anything else.

Still, for someone trying to make a name for himself, it would seem more effective to do so for his own story, not someone else's. Yes, there's plenty of awful fanfic out there, but there's also a lot of awful pro fiction, so quality has no direct correlation to that question of "originality". So, again, it's an individual thing and what the writer DOES with it.

That's pretty much the way I look at it.  I'm just gather ammunition to bop my relative over the head with.  Good fiction, to me, comes in any form, whether it's a professional/published author or an unknown fanfic writer.  If it's good it's good.  I heard about one person who wrote such good fanfic the person was asked to write for the TV show, which did happen and eventually he/she became a producer, I believe.  That's very rare, but it does happen.  And just because an author or any creative person does good work the majority of the time, doesn't mean their stuff isn't gonna stink at some point.

Depends.  I've read some fanfiction that's better than a lot of published stuff, and some that's utter crapola.  I think ultimately that creating your own characters and setting is a lot more rewarding (and difficult!) but as long as you respect any rules the original creator may have, and don't do anything dumb like try to sell it on Amazon, I don't see any real harm.  It can be good practice and a lot of fun. 

Also, bear in mind that a few writers of original fiction (PN Elrod and Peter David come to mind) got their start in fanfic.  If you stick to public domain characters, you can publish without fear of litigation--I've read an excellent series of mysteries that are basically Shakespeare fanfic.   And don't forget the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy, which is actually Twilight fanfiction with the names changed (I haven't read this, so I can't speak for the quality, but it is very popular.)

I have no urge to be published, just a fun gig for me, but as you say, venturing into your own original characters and stories is ultimately more satisfying.

There was a case I knew of recently where someone published their work on Amazon and it turned out to be someone else's story (several people who knew the original author spotted it and voiced their complaints...and it was immediately removed).  But you always run the risk of writing a story that is similar to someone else's, but given the same set of ideas, no one really writes the same story as the next person.   

Ugh.  I hadn't heard about Fifty Shades of Grey being a knock-off of Twilight.  Hmm...thought about reading it, just because it was getting so much hype, but may have to skip that one.   :-\

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
Fan Fiction is real writing. Just practice I think, though. A creative outlet.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »
^
Practice is practice whether original or fanfic.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
I think fan-fiction can be, in some ways at least, Easier than more fully original works.  But thats just because somebody else did parts of the work for you (developing a world, a character, etc).  That doesnt make it anything less.  Shared worlds are common in fiction, so are shared characters.  Look at any of the Star Trek, Star Wars, Forgotten Realms, Hardy Boys, or Darkover novels, or any historical fiction for that matter;  every one of them borrows from existing sources for characters, setting, or both. 

To my way of thinking, most fiction outside of the Sci-fi/Fantasy Genre falls into that category to some degree, because they all borrow an existing world for the setting (IE the "real world") rather than make their own from Scratch.  If I want to tell a story from a thief's POV, how does it make the story less legit by setting it in Mos Eisley (star wars reference) instead of the streets of New York City?  My answer is that it doesn't. 

The flip side of that is that you want to still be contributing. But the more you borrow, the less of an origianl work it is by nature.   A story written in the DV but in an unrelated time and place it one thing.  Or if its contemporary, but only mentions events in the background, thats perfectly fine, you are just borrowing the world.  On the other hand if its a story about Harry and Murphy fighting Vampires, Im just adding events to an existing Character set, world setting and system;  im just contributing the episode of the week.  Somewhere in the middle would be if it was taking minor but established character and putting them center stage, like the adventures of Susan or Carlos or Elaine, or McCoy's childhood or something. 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »
I found it to be a useful learning tool, trying to capture the Voice of iconic characters for example.  I think it helped me a great deal in portraying my original characters and learning to keep their voices consistent.  It's a creative exercise, great practice, and to be honest great fun, although I find original work to be more gratifying.  I'll keep doing both, because writing is how you learn to write, and I'm just plain having a grand time.

As for it's "artistic merit", that's like any creative endeavor, in the eye of the beholder.  I'm a too each-their-own sort of fellow, after all.  But I confess, as a matter of personal taste (not a value judgement), I get kind of skeevety feeling when I see stuff where people are someone else's characters to places where those characters wouldn't go.  (Kirk/Spock/Data threesomes, for example.)  I don't like seeing characters "re-imagined" in a way that makes them something far removed from their original concept.  Now, a respectful update or reboot that keeps the spirit of the original is, to me at least, a Good Thing.  (BBC's Sherlock being an example of a great update, and the new Star Trek as a good reboot.)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 02:14:04 AM »
If you wanted to write episodic TV - fanfic is actually a great way to practice.
Because you have to know how the standard characters talk and behave. 
If you get it wrong - you won't sell your script or if you do - they'll rewrite the snot out of it.
I know an AFI writing teacher and even if she doesn't watch a series - if one of her students
does a script for that show as a class exercise - she makes it a point to then watch a couple
of episodes so she knows whether or not they're doing it right.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 02:44:19 AM »
That's something I'm going to have to experiment with once I get a handle on basic story planning and telling. 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:48:10 AM »
I think you've got a great handle on it already, PG.
And if I can help anyway with script stuff - let me know.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »
Thanks, Snow!

Let me get Stormjammer done and we'll take a look.

maybe Sky One......    ???

Offline Zuriel

• Conversationalist
  • It is what it is
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded!

And I think as writers, we all pretty much agree on the same things, which I suspected would be the case.  I just wanted to have a weightier comeback for my relative on the subject.  I don't think she realizes she does the same thing when she paints.  Most of the time she has to have an image or photo to copy, maybe adding a few of her own original touches, but ultimately she's no different.  Sounds like visual fanfic to me.   :)  I need to point that out... 

I don't mind fanfic as long as it stays within canon limits and doesn't wander off into unrecognizable territory.  And for me it was great practice to see if I could give the established, iconic characters the same voice in my stories as they're known for.  I got that down pretty good and then worked on my own original characters.  Both are fun to do in their own ways.

Since I'm relatively new to this writing thing, I still have a lot to learn, but at least I can look back at what I did months ago and see a big improvement.  And practice, practice, practice will only make it better.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 02:48:52 PM »
My rational opinion, fwiw, is that fanfic can be a good way of learning some writing-associated skills in a context where others are provided for you (pre-existing worlds and characters and so on) but that sticking with it long term is holding yourself back from developing other skills (such as original worldbuilding).  And that there are no ethical issues with fanfic of a) authors who have given permission, b) authors who are dead, and c) widely shared universes (such as DC Comics), but otherwise it can feel like theft.

(I have an irrational opinion too, which is that if anyone ever fanfics anything of mine I will come after them with harmful intent and a sharpened teaspoon.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
I prefer to read AU: Alternate Universe fan fics. It makes it feel less like an intrusion on the original Auther.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)