Author Topic: What happens when a minigun's barrel gets hit by a shotgun slug?  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What happens when a minigun's barrel gets hit by a shotgun slug?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 08:38:23 PM »
We've had discussions about the kind of things they're loading in shotgun shells here before.  Jim Butcher's gun-fu has gone up considerably since the first couple of Dresden novels, as illustrated by his giving Kincaid Dragon's Breath shells for dealing with the vampires.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
Unless you were really close, not much of anything. Depending on what the type of mini-gun and the angle it got hit, it might get deflected momentarily. At more then a few yards, a shotgun doesn't hurt much. 
Best planet I've been on so far.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 03:46:11 AM »
I don't think there'd be any appreciable damage to the barrel itself.  I know that the good old M-16/M-4 barrels are a pretty high end alloy containing things vanadium and molybdenum and suchlike.  Now, if the slug hit the actual mechanism you could cause all sorts of malfunction.  Well, probably nothing spectacular, just make it seize up and call it a day.

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »
I don't think there'd be any appreciable damage to the barrel itself.  I know that the good old M-16/M-4 barrels are a pretty high end alloy containing things vanadium and molybdenum and suchlike.  Now, if the slug hit the actual mechanism you could cause all sorts of malfunction.  Well, probably nothing spectacular, just make it seize up and call it a day.

Yep.  Paynesgrey is another Forum denizen whose gun-fu is strong, if you need practical info on things that go BANG!   :)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
All part of the service.    8)

But thanks for the compliment!  (I wouldn't call myself an expert, just something resembling competent.) 

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 04:15:59 AM »
All part of the service.    8)

But thanks for the compliment!  (I wouldn't call myself an expert, just something resembling competent.)

I'm not an Expert yet, either, but I'm up to Sharpshooter with a rifle, and qualified as a Marksman with both revolver and semi-auto pistols.   :)