Author Topic: Mortals with enchanted items?  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Mortals with enchanted items?
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 02:43:00 AM »
The very first book of the series contains a mortal using a potion.

But not having regular, reliable, paid-for-by-the-'mortal' access to potions.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 02:56:57 AM »
Sure, but Harry (or some offscreen wizard) could totally have given her a few potions every "session" unless she was "Compelled" and she'd still be narratively mortal.

Mechanically she'd be something else, but who cares?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
Sure, but Harry (or some offscreen wizard) could totally have given her a few potions every "session" unless she was "Compelled" and she'd still be narratively mortal.

Mechanically she'd be something else, but who cares?

People who want +2 refresh.

Offline Radecliffe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
I'd say the minor power template would be better suited for using an item for this.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 04:22:06 AM »
People who want +2 refresh.

Susan has no player. So her Refresh is inconsequential.

Whether it should be a Power or a Stunt is nothing more than a power level concern. And this is powerful enough that it ought to be a Power.

Look at Father Forthill. He is completely mortal. He has Powers, though, to represent the fact that God helps him out a little bit.

Actually, the True Believer template is generally used on people who are narratively completely mortal. A theoretical template that only allowed this would be the same.

PS: I've been accused of only caring about mechanics, but really I'm just very aware of the separation between narrative and mechanics. That's what this is about.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »
Susan has no player. So her Refresh is inconsequential.

Whether it should be a Power or a Stunt is nothing more than a power level concern. And this is powerful enough that it ought to be a Power.

Look at Father Forthill. He is completely mortal. He has Powers, though, to represent the fact that God helps him out a little bit.

Actually, the True Believer template is generally used on people who are narratively completely mortal. A theoretical template that only allowed this would be the same.

PS: I've been accused of only caring about mechanics, but really I'm just very aware of the separation between narrative and mechanics. That's what this is about.

So people with only faith powers should get +2 refresh?  I like that idea! ;D

It specifically staes under Murphy and marcone they get a refresh bonus.  (all the Pure mortals do).

BTW I've seen con games run using NPC's from Our World as player characters....so Susan can have a player.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:36:31 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2012, 04:10:09 AM »
So people with only faith powers should get +2 refresh?  I like that idea! ;D

No. No.

No.

No no no no.

That's the exact opposite of what I mean.

My point is that even if your concept says "mortal", you can have abilities or advantages that are modelled as Powers. Which disqualifies you from Pure Mortal mechanics, but not from Pure Mortal fluff.

A good example would be a guy who's completely normal except for an Item of Power.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
No. No.

No.

No no no no.

That's the exact opposite of what I mean.

My point is that even if your concept says "mortal", you can have abilities or advantages that are modelled as Powers. Which disqualifies you from Pure Mortal mechanics, but not from Pure Mortal fluff.

A good example would be a guy who's completely normal except for an Item of Power.

I was mostly jesting, however it's good to know you still think the rebate on refresh should be lost.

So narratively (fluff) Knights are mortal.  Not mechanically.  I agree.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »
It's probably best to simply recognize that the label "Pure Mortal" is a special case of the much more generalized class of "mortals".  Harry Dresden is, in fact a mortal, but not a Pure Mortal.  Pure Mortal implies a "nothing but" attached to the mortal; for game purposes a mortal completely uncontaminated by any of those nasty powers.

Correction: In Ghost Story,
(click to show/hide)