Author Topic: A Badelynge of Quackiness [spoilers for every book Jim ever wrote or ever will]  (Read 22680 times)

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
Re: A Badelynge of Quackiness
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:55 AM »
I mixed feelings about your theories.  I love them because they're awesome, or have awesome implications- and tend to make a scary amount of sense. 

But I if they're true there is a shit load of stuff going on in the Dresden Files that is flying way over my head, which is a little depressing.  But then again that's kind of exciting.

Pew pew PEW!

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 01:24:22 AM »
I mixed feelings about your theories.  I love them because they're awesome, or have awesome implications- and tend to make a scary amount of sense. 

But I if they're true there is a shit load of stuff going on in the Dresden Files that is flying way over my head, which is a little depressing.  But then again that's kind of exciting.

yah.. I get that feeling..because I'm sure Jim isnt done yet. There is probably quite a bit of stuff yet we don't have any clue at all on yet.. greek gods, asian religon, drakul..
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline MartyTaylor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2012, 03:20:13 AM »

Well, I think that it will be like any good mystery. All of the clues are there, we just might not have noticed them, yet, or put them all together. But as the dominoes start falling Jim through Harry will be sure to point them out to us. So when we get to book three of the BAT and we all know exactly where its going we'll be saying my this going to be a beautiful and spectacular very Harry train wreck.

... and loathe as I am to compare Dresden to the other Harry, both authors share a lot workmanship traits. There were tons of underlying themes in that other series that not a lot of people spotted that added to the depth of it all, but you didn't need to catch to enjoy it. And if you'd been paying attention you had a pretty solid idea of how the whole bit was likely to end before it got there, too. In a very broad sense (very broad sense) I expect the DF to be like that; deep rich, and while not exactly predictable, but when you get to the end you'll be pretty sure where the story has to go to get to the finale.

edit: did that make any sense?
DV MartyTaylor v1.1 yr8 fr1 BK+++ JB- TH++ WG++ CL SW(+) BC+ SH[Elaine+++ Murphy-]

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 12:14:03 AM »
Believe it or not, some people have asked me to put a master index together again. So here goes nothing ! (like my repuatation or your sanity)

Who are these people, and where can I find them? *runs away laughing*

Actually, I think I'll read these instead. :)
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 02:52:46 AM »
Believe it or not, some people have asked me to put a master index together again. So here goes nothing ! (like my repuatation or your sanity)

Moly and Mab
Mab and Little Chicago
Lovecraft Alliance
King Arthur and Harry
Marcone and The Erling
Gothic Vampires

(feel free to comment if you like. When i finish copy editing stuff, ill just add it to the index)

Something I recently learned from your code post about a week ago, is that if you put an "i" in front of the "url" in your url code it will open those links in window, making those links behave more like wikipedia index links.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 05:04:14 AM »
Tag for the interesting reading!
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 05:12:46 AM »
... oh duckie. How I've missed you.
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
Hugs!

Thanks for the infor Serrack !

ive got more a coming, just need to rewrite from scratch since they got deleted durign the last server move.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »
Oh Quack
by Ms. Duck
This is an add on to Gothic Vampires
    I had way too much coffee while working on this copy edit, and over dinner, began to wonder: Where is the Black Court Elder?
   Why, the place it would hurt Harry the most, of course.
Carmilla
    The first true Gothic Vampire
    Major source for all following, such as Dracula, Lestat, Jean-Claude..
    In the public domain, so can be used
    Using her would be very geeky
    Jim is a geek god royale with cheese
    Shape shifter
    Master of illusions
    Can walk in day
    Only revealed at dawn
    Can fully pass for human otherwise
    Small frame, dark hair, slight figure
    May be hurt by normal weapons, but heals, with the scars fading
    Very poetic, well educated, and intelligent
    Lesbian
    Often becomes romantically obsessed with her food
    Has one strange weakness- whatever name she uses must be based on her true name    (Carmilla Karnstein)
    Her last pseudo name was Marcilla
The Shaggy was used by a being that considered him merely cheap labor
While he attacked several people, he made sure to kill Kirby, the man who took Andi away..
Oh Quack !
(click to show/hide)
Didn't Murph confirm her identity in Aftermath?  Seems to me even an uber-powered vamp like Carmilla should be subject to threshold laws.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 07:01:05 PM »
Didn't Murph confirm her identity in Aftermath?  Seems to me even an uber-powered vamp like Carmilla should be subject to threshold laws.

Not according to the original source books- although im not sure if the issue is even mentioned as a concept. Carlilla's carriage breaks down outside of the estate, and she is invited in. However, she feeds off panel sevral times on various young ladies in the village- as well as prior in the county- and they certianly did not invite her in, or even know she was there.

the first specific 'have to be invited in' is Dracula.
 as to what her appearnce and weaknesses are:

I may mention, in passing, that the deadly pallor attributed to that sort of revenants, is a mere melodramatic fiction. They present, in the grave, and when they show themselves in human society, the appearance of healthy life. When disclosed to light in their coffins, they exhibit all the symptoms that are enumerated as those which proved the vampire-life of the long-dead Countess Karnstein.

How they escape from their graves and return to them for certain hours every day, without displacing the clay or leaving any trace of disturbance in the state of the coffin or the cerements, has always been admitted to be utterly inexplicable. The amphibious existence of the vampire is sustained by daily renewed slumber in the grave. Its horrible lust for living blood supplies the vigor of its waking existence. The vampire is prone to be fascinated with an engrossing vehemence, resembling the passion of love, by particular persons. In pursuit of these it will exercise inexhaustible patience and stratagem, for access to a particular object may be obstructed in a hundred ways. It will never desist until it has satiated its passion, and drained the very life of its coveted victim. But it will, in these cases, husband and protract its murderous enjoyment with the refinement of an epicure, and heighten it by the gradual approaches of an artful courtship. In these cases it seems to yearn for something like sympathy and consent. In ordinary ones it goes direct to its object, overpowers with violence, and strangles and exhausts often at a single feast.

The vampire is, apparently, subject, in certain situations, to special conditions. In the particular instance of which I have given you a relation, Mircalla seemed to be limited to a name which, if not her real one, should at least reproduce, without the omission or addition of a single letter, those, as we say, anagrammatically, which compose it.

Carmilla did this; so did Millarca.

and.. Marci.. lol
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 07:24:13 PM by Ms Duck »

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
Not according to the original source books- although im not sur eif the issue is even mentioned as a concept. Carlilla's carriage breaks down outside of the estate,a nd she is invited in. However, she feeds off panel sevral times on various young ladies in the village- as well as prior in the county- and they certianly did not invite her in, or even know she was there.

the first specific 'have top be invited in' is Dracula.
 as to what her appearnce and weaknesses are:

One possibility, Dracula could be a more accurate how-to guide published by the White Court while the other books are stories published by others depicting (slightly) embellished perceptions of powerful monsters.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
One possibility, Dracula could be a more accurate how-to guide published by the White Court while the other books are stories published by others depicting (slightly) embellished perceptions of powerful monsters.

True enough, excpet Carmilla was first. Dracula actually copied it, in many respects. ( in RL, Stoker mugged it like a small kid with a giant bag of candy.)

and the second problem is that what we know of the Black Court doesn't ,match Dracula worth a darn, either. Frankly, it matches Lovecraft much better.

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »
True enough, excpet Carmilla was first. Dracula actually copied it, in many respects. ( in RL, Stoker mugged it like a small kid with a giant bag of candy.)

That's my point. Maybe some normal human wrote Carmilla based upon their perceptions, which gave the White Court vamps an idea to publish a more accurate how-to guide.

and the second problem is that what we know of the Black Court doesn't ,match Dracula worth a darn, either. Frankly, it matches Lovecraft much better.

... hmm, well, maybe the White Court didn't want to comletely destroy the Blacks so they published a less accruate version? Heck, maybe they published Carmilla and humans were too scared to follow its instructions, so they tried again with Dracula, making the vamps appear weaker so humans would give it a go.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:14:50 PM by Cozarkian »

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
... hmm, well, maybe the White Court didn't want to comletely destroy the Blacks so they published a less accruate version? Heck, maybe they published Carmilla and humans were too scared to follow its instructions, so they tried again with Dracula, making the vamps appear weaker so humans would give it a go.

It's all kind of Iffy. For example: in some ways, Dracula was much stronger; he had powers Carmilla did not. In other ways he was weaker; he had to physcihally return (and move) his coffin from place to place, Carmilla could do the ghost thing.

Im not sur ehow much- if at all- Jim will sue this. It may just be a neat idea in the background. That, or Lovecraft may be the closest source.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 10:46:17 PM »
A Pancake in a Sphere of Jell-O

Introduction
   We are geeks. And we often wonder ‘who can beat who?’ Jim is a geek, and he sometimes answers. We now know some gods are stronger than others, and some gods are much, much stronger than others. We know that if Mab fought the Erlking, the entire wild hunt, and all the Denarians it would be a game of whack a mole. But being geeks, we wonder why? What is it that makes Mab so much stronger then Odin, and makes Uriel so much stronger then Mab?
   A while back I compiled a rough list, of the approximate magical powers of these beings, based on real world equivalents (in Joules):
    Harry: 10^7th (can throw lightning, blast some houses to pieces)
    Eb: 10^11 (create minor earthquakes, level whole buildings)
    Lea: 10^17 (power enough to level cities) (lesser god)
    Mab: 10^18-10^20 (power of a major hurricane, can change climate on a large scale)(major god)
    solar energy, one day 5*10^22
    asteroid that killed dinosaurs: 5*10^23
    solar output, per second: 3.8*10^26
    power of the death star: 2*10^32 (destroy small planets)(greater god?)
    doomsday machine: 5*10^41 (destroy big planets)
    Galactus approx.: 6.9*10^41 (cosmic god?)
    observable galaxy: 10^59
    what harry thinks Uriel is, minimum: 10^62
    the big G god: over 10^68 (aka, the observable universe)
   Now one thing this list does show is that everyone Lea level and over is a ‘nuclear armed power’ as Jim refers to things. You don’t start wars with nuclear states, because there can’t be a winner. What you do is use agents, proxy wars, small conflicts, and negotiations to solve your conflicts.
On the Origins of Magic
   In the DF, magic is a natural force. It originates form living things, emotions of living things, and by Word of Mother Winter, it is conserved like any other source of power. Therefore, as it comes from life, its total amount on earth must be less than the total amount of energy available on earth, about 274 million Giga watts per year. This sounds like an absurd amount, but realize it’s just a tiny fraction of the power some of these ‘god’ appear to have. How then does one explain this? Either Magic is not conserved, or beings are able to draw on more than one world.
The NN is vast
   We know from Jim the NN expands outwards, from the Earth, to the edge of the moon. We know it is a sphere, and can conclude this is the limit of magical energy radiated from the life on earth. We know from Bob that it exists in far more than the four dimensions humans can normally perceive, and from discussions about precognition we can speculate that higher beings in it can perceive alternate pasts, presents, and futures. First, how big is it?
   Even in conventional dimensions its huge: 237 *10^5th cubic Km… that’s enough for over 23,460 earths even if we just assume normal reality. In 11 dimensions, the number becomes insane.. 9,188,2801,591,004,303,761,991,879,201,232,836,019,976,271,010,838,154,206,141 possible alternate earths. Well, there is your power source.
Conclusion
Imagine a circle, or a pancake if you will; this is the radius of the NN in our reality. then imagine a cylinder, a giant stack of pancakes; this is the multiverse.
Some entities, such as the Red Court, feed off only small bites. Others, worldwide beings such as Mab, feed off of a harvest drawn from entire worlds. Still others feed off of collections of worlds, or possibly empires in the thousands or millions of worlds. Scaling upwards, there are beings that eat entire grand slams worth of pancakes on a regular basis. What can we draw from such things?
First, such beings don’t compete over individual worlds with all their power, it simply not worth it to risk upsetting the table over a single pancake. Instead they send agents, who hire local talent, and have a negotiated game- the influence you can exert over each world is equivalent to the number of worshipers you have. That’s why the classical gods left and the Abrahamic god took over; he won a round of the great game.
Second the outsiders are very likely just that- from outside. Imagine another world, much like our own, but in another part of the galaxy. Imagine one god there won. It owns all the pancakes. But now its still hungry, and wants more. It’s sending expeditions out to find new pancakes to eat.
This would imply either it’s only attacking our pancake now, or on each pancake, there is a Mab or Mab equivalent who is in charge of the local defense. I’m heading to the latter.. as it would explain why Mab has more power than any other local god, and why she gets power from her purpose. The ‘UN’ of Cosmic Gods is feeding Mab power to help with her ‘local defense’ much like how a superpower would send aid to a local power in the real world.
The UN isn’t going to get involved at this stage, because they don’t want to start an all-out war between worlds. This is why none of the cosmic powers were involved in Cold Days. At the same time, the outsiders are going to be trying to get them involved, because they think the superpowers are liable to start fighting amongst themselves, and thus cause chaos and let them in.