Author Topic: Ways to achieve a 100 shift rituals  (Read 13896 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to achieve a 100 shift rituals
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »
Joy, one more instance of the examples flouting the rules.

If I might amend my previous comment, then:
'To my knowledge, such an option is not explicitly included, nor even implicitly referenced, in any rules with regards to maneuvers.'
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2012, 05:47:34 AM »
Joy, one more instance of the examples flouting the rules.

If I might amend my previous comment, then:
'To my knowledge, such an option is not explicitly included, nor even implicitly referenced, in any rules with regards to maneuvers.'
Why would it need to be explicit?  Expanding targeting to a zone for 2 shifts is kind of a core rule.

Doesn't really matter though - you still need symbolic links for thaumaturgy.  If you don't have a symbol for the zone at the time of casting, said zone isn't a valid target.  Zone targeted thaumaturgy simply isn't going to walk around with you...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2012, 06:05:02 AM »
Why would it need to be explicit?  Expanding targeting to a zone for 2 shifts is kind of a core rule.
No, it isn't.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:50 AM »
No, it isn't.
I don't have much interest in playing "Yes it is." --> "No it isn't." so I'll just ask - why would you not keep consistent mechanics?  Including targeting a zone for two shifts.

--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2012, 07:43:18 AM »
I don't have much interest in playing "Yes it is." --> "No it isn't." so I'll just ask - why would you not keep consistent mechanics?  Including targeting a zone for two shifts.

It's not a matter of what mechanics I would keep.  It's a matter of what mechanics are presented in the RAW.
And zone-wide effects for 2 additional shifts are not presented in the RAW as a 'core mechanic'.  They are presented as exceptions in two locations.
If you would care to present evidence for your 'core mechanic' claim, though, I would be quite willing to hear it out.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »
If you would care to present evidence for your 'core mechanic' claim, though, I would be quite willing to hear it out.
Part of what I like about FATE is the 'fractal' concept.  Everything can be treated as a character to one degree or another...an individual, a scene, a city, a chase...even a zone.  The re-usability is built in - one off rules are avoided.  See Fred's comments here.
--

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2012, 01:34:33 AM »
Do you have anything located in a DFRPG book, in a section describing the default rules of the DFRPG, rather than, say, a discussion about FATE games and systems in general and possible houserules that could be applied to them?
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2012, 02:49:47 AM »
Why?  I'm talking about FATE.  It's not like targeting a zone is only done in DFRPG.

Shrug, other than a personal preference for consistent mechanics I don't have any stake in convincing you or anyone else.  I think it's easiest to be consistent, if you prefer lots of separate subsystems I'm glad you found it in FATE.  Just shows how flexible the system can be.
--

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2012, 03:03:36 AM »
The DFRPG is a self-contained ruleset.  Rules not found in the DFRPG do not apply to the DFRPG unless they are added by means of a Houserule.  And I'm not talking about Houserules.
Slough

Offline Jimmy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2012, 03:06:18 AM »

It's in the core rule book, highlighted for easy reading, amoung other core rules. Therefore by definition, for determining zones of effect, it kind of makes it a core mechanic. As opposed to a mechanic suggested elsewhere, such as a rules suppliment or addon, or places such as these forums suggesting houserules. They would then not be core mechanics, they would be houserules or suggestions.
Be professional, be polite, and have a plan to kill everybody that you meet...