Author Topic: Reworking the True Faith Powers  (Read 8661 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Reworking the True Faith Powers
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
Aight, we have a plan.

Revised True Faith powers, hopefully final versions:

DIVINE PROTECTION [-1]
Description: God, or some similar force, protects you and yours.
Skills Affected: None.
Effects:
Bless This House. Whenever you are inside a threshold, add 2 to the strength of that threshold.
Bless This Soul. You may spend a Fate Point to give yourself or another character in your presence armour 3 against all physical stress for the rest of the scene. In order to do this in combat, you must take an action. One action is enough, regardless of the number of people you want to protect.

HOLY TOUCH [-1]
Description: You radiate holiness.
Musts: You must have the Righteousness Power in order to take this one.
Skills Affected: Conviction, attack skills.
Effects:
Holy Touch. Your presence is like holy water, which can hurt or drive away many monsters. This can be used as a justification for Compels and Conviction maneuvers. All of your attacks satisfy Catches that have to do with Holy Stuff, and any attack you make against a character that is vulnerable to holy power inflicts two additional stress. As a general rule, vulnerability to holy power involves having a relevant Catch or a Compel-able High Concept.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2012, 11:12:13 PM »
'final versions', that's cute.

'Bless this soul' needs a language cleanup and/or serious clarification.
The first clause indicates that you can grant the bonus to a single individual, whether that be yourself or someone else.  The second clause indicates that the former clause, granting the bonus to a single individual, takes one action.  The third clause screws everything up by saying that not only can you grant the bonus to multiple individuals (contradicting a strict reading of the first clause), but that you can do so for the cost of one action.  It could even be read to allow you to grant the bonus to additional individuals some time after the first activation for no additional action.

'Holy Touch' could also use a language cleanup, though of lesser urgency.
Replace 'Compel-able High Concept' with some variation of 'High Concept Compel-able on such grounds'.  All High Concepts are 'Compel-able', what matters is that the presence of the Holy Stuff is a potential cause/trigger/what-have-you of a Compel on that Aspect.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2012, 11:34:55 PM »
That would start a Church vs God's will debate.  Forbidden by the forums.  I will say this.  I think the two are different, at least in Jim's universe.

God's will has nothing to do with it, the power comes from faith from what people believe so if they believe 'witches are abominations unto Satan et al' then their faith in that belief would power the power (aka a true believers power).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:36:56 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
God's will has nothing to do with it, the power comes from faith from what people believe so if they believe 'witches are abominations unto Satan et al' then their faith in that belief would power the power (aka a true believers power).

Obviously not everyone interprets these powers in the same way that you do.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
Bless This Soul. You may spend a Fate Point to give yourself or another character in your presence armour 3 against all physical stress for the rest of the scene. In order to do this in combat, you must take an action. One action is enough, regardless of the number of people you want to protect.
I'd probably rename this to something more physical...soul doesn't say physical armor to me.  Also agree with Tedronai on the confusion between who / how many you can boost with a single actions.

Holy Touch. Your presence is like holy water, which can hurt or drive away many monsters. This can be used as a justification for Compels and Conviction maneuvers. All of your attacks satisfy Catches that have to do with Holy Stuff, and any attack you make against a character that is vulnerable to holy power inflicts two additional stress. As a general rule, vulnerability to holy power involves having a relevant Catch or a Compel-able High Concept.
Have you considered having this allow Conviction based maneuvers or declarations in place of the "justification for Compels and Conviction maneuvers" language?  Or is that already the intent?  The way it's phrased seems odd to me - as if it allows compels without creating an aspect first.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 12:42:14 AM »
While I realize that the requirement to spend a Fate point limits its use somewhat, isn't armor:3 to all physical a bit much for a -1 refresh power (and especially one that grants other benefits, however weak), let alone the ability to grant armor:3 to others?  It seems to me that it should grant a more ... ablative benefit worth more than the usual two shifts a Fate point grants, or a lasting benefit that is less.  Perhaps a (temporary) moderate consequence slot, or a persistant armor:1, or a persistant aspect (complete with a free tag), or possibly even both of the last two options?  Alternatively, if the armor was limited to, for example, only protect against attacks from "offensive" creatures (using the same definition used by other faith powers), the armor could be a bit higher (though probably armor:2, not 3).

I'd probably rename this to something more physical...soul doesn't say physical armor to me.
How about Blessings Be Upon Thee.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 01:14:15 AM »
How about Blessings Be Upon Thee.
That'd work.  Or something like Armor of Faith.  Just thinking something more evocative of the power's effects might be better.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 04:43:49 AM »
I'd probably rename this to something more physical...soul doesn't say physical armor to me.  Also agree with Tedronai on the confusion between who / how many you can boost with a single actions.

Sure, I can change the name.

I can also clear up the language. Intended effect:

Take an action. Spend X FP. X people are now shielded.

Have you considered having this allow Conviction based maneuvers or declarations in place of the "justification for Compels and Conviction maneuvers" language?  Or is that already the intent?  The way it's phrased seems odd to me - as if it allows compels without creating an aspect first.

No, you still need an aspect to Compel. This bit I took from YS.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 03:46:10 AM »
DIVINE PROTECTION [-1]
Description: God, or some similar force, protects you and yours.
Skills Affected: None.
Effects:
Bless This House. Whenever you are inside a threshold, add 2 to the strength of that threshold.
Armour Of Faith. You may take an action in a conflict or a few seconds outside of one to call upon the protective power of god. This lets you give armour 3 against all physical stress to any number of characters for the rest of the scene, at the cost of 1 Fate Point per character.

HOLY TOUCH [-1]
Description: You radiate holiness.
Musts: You must have the Righteousness Power in order to take this one.
Skills Affected: Conviction, attack skills.
Effects:
Holy Touch. Your presence is like holy water, which can hurt or drive away many monsters. This allows you to use your Conviction skill for maneuvers and Declarations based around the use of holy power, and may expand the range of Compels that you can inflict. All of your attacks satisfy Catches that have to do with Holy Stuff, and any attack you make against a character that is vulnerable to holy power inflicts two additional stress. As a general rule, vulnerability to holy power involves having a relevant Catch or High Concept.

PS:
While I realize that the requirement to spend a Fate point limits its use somewhat, isn't armor:3 to all physical a bit much for a -1 refresh power (and especially one that grants other benefits, however weak), let alone the ability to grant armor:3 to others?

No.

As a general rule, people can be expected to have armour ratings from actual armour. This doesn't stack with those. Unless you have no Toughness and no protective gear, it's a pretty marginal benefit.

And it takes an action.

If you gave my character this Power for free, I'd rarely use it.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2012, 04:16:45 AM »
I like these versions better.  I do think mentioning compels is unnecessary - if you have an aspect you can attempt to invoke for effect/compel, results are always negotiable.  It's less confusing as written now though.  :)
--

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2012, 03:33:47 AM »

Not going to argue this.  I'll get to close to skirting forum rules and likely get rude.  Suffice it to say I very much disagree and likely won't be changing my mind.

I like the new versions of the powers.  I think they might be a little too good, but these powers seem to be in a boat where they are too crappy or too good. 

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2012, 04:15:02 AM »
Glad you like them, guys. Time will tell whether I made them too good.