Author Topic: Xyxyx (and other) updates  (Read 11265 times)

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
Re: Xyxyx (and other) updates
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
I have gone ahead and made the revisions. Mostly grammar and spelling errors corrected. Some larger changes include:

Moving my (sort of) disclaimer, the explanatory paragraph and the list of critiquers from when I first had this idea to the beginning of Vol. 1. (The thank yous to the people who've admitted to reading Xyxyx remains at the beginning of Vol. 4 and has expanded by one.)

Last weekend I ask some other KDP authors for their opinions of the book cover. Several said it was too dark and hard to read. So, the biggest change is that each volume now has its own cover. The layout is the same for all, but each vol. is labeled and has its own background color. They also suggested I change the name of my book, but there is no chance of that. Apparently, they don't like the name of my young, omnipotent being.

No major changes to the stories. I did change the name of the paradise Amos mentions in his made-up story (vol. 1 part 2). It's still a song reference, just a different, and possibly more appropriate, song. Also removed the (Feelin' groovy) references in part 9 and fixed the head-hopping in part 8.

I think that's it. The revisions should go live in a few hours. In the meantime, the old versions will remain available. Thank you.  :)
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure those of you who already have the stories will get the revised versions the next time you update your Kindle Library. If not, let me know. I have some promotion days available.  ;)
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
You, sir, are still awesome.

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »
Thank you.  :D

There won't be any more story changes, though I may still correct typos as I find them. I must have proof-read these things a hundred times, but I still find typos whenever I re-read them.  :o  But this was always an experiment right from the start.

I wondered if an author could get away with talking directly to the readers in the middle of a description. It may be distracting, and maybe even annoying to the reader, but it sure is fun for me.  8)
Dance on, md

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
oh but i love how you do that it is so funny at times RSL ;D
oh and i have now read all of them so what you writing next?

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2012, 12:35:29 AM »
I have an idea for part 10 and even a couple of pages written. I do know I can't force it though. I found that out early with these stories . . . when I try to force it, it's not funny. It probably sounds stupid, but when the story is ready it'll come to me.

I do have another idea in the works, but that's going to take some time. The good news there is I'll probably have a couple more volumes of Xyxyx done before the other idea is ready. Sometimes the two ideas feed off each other and I end up writing two stories simultaneously, which is very strange experience.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:07:02 AM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:05 AM »
Well, as we all know:
Full assed for the win.

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
I have a couple title ideas for Xyxyx vol. 5 but no specific story inspirations, yet. Tentative titles . . .

Part 10 - In the Land of Canon
Part 11 - The Horse of Babylon

On the other project, it's based on an old NaNoWriMo entry I did in 2004 (I may have mentioned this). I am updating and adding to the story, but I think I may encounter a problem.

WhenI wrote this story I had never read any of the Discworld books (it was one one my reviewers who mentioned this story reminded them of Terry Pratchett, which made me go read his books, and now he's on my list of all-time favorite authors).

Anyway, this story also has a Death character. At first it was just a one-off pun about Death lurking behind every door, and then a door opened and Death was there. That was going to be the end of it, but, as the story went on, doors were unavoidable and Death kept popping up. At one point there is a door, all by itself, in the middle of a prairie.

So the Death guy gradually became part of the story, but I'm afraid no one is going to believe I made him up before I knew about Discworld. Hell, if someone else was telling me this I'd be hard-pressed to believe them.

If I remove the Death character, however, I lose a germaine (and fun) bit of the story.

This is my dilemma.   :-\
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:29:20 PM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:24 AM »
Best thing I can think of is something representing Death. A clown comes to mind but that had been used as well. What about something that possesses the "fickle finger of fate"? I'll let you know if I think of something else but that's just off the top of my head.
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
I just had a bizarre notion.  Death is an Avon lady.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
I just had a bizarre notion.  Death is an Avon lady.
And like the postman, she always rings twice?
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline mdodd

• Seriously?
  • OH, IT'S HIM. @paceace1094
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
And like the postman, she always rings twice?

Using the fickle finger of fate?
One year's forum service, nearly two
--------------------------------------------------------
“And the people next door oppress me all night long. I tell them, I work all day, a man's got to have some time to learn to play the tuba. ― Terry Pratchett.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »
Just make Death very different of Pratchett one, but not so much it resembles Gaiman's Death. I'll go with a very inocent looking kid, with a Día de Muertos t-shirt.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »
Death is a fluffy kitty or a lickety puppy.

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2012, 06:40:25 PM »
Wow.     So many cool ideas I hardly know which one to use. I'm leaning towards the lickity puppy or the Avon Lady. I wonder if they can be combined.

Hmm. A lickity Avon Lady with a Día de Muertos t-shirt using the fickle finger of fate?  :o  Probably not.

Thanks for the ideas.  :) ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:42:32 PM by R. S. Leergaard »
Dance on, md