Author Topic: OK how about third person Inanimate  (Read 2709 times)

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
OK how about third person Inanimate
« on: February 25, 2012, 09:47:11 AM »
I have seen it done, but I want more examples before I put my effort out. In short I need to write scenes than no one can know, but that the reader needs to see to understand the story. Third Omni doesn't quite seem right for something that is third limited every where else.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
Re: OK how about third person Inanimate
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »
In a short story I wrote in the past, I had a character named the Narrator. He introduced himself as a kind of free floating consciousness that formed as a kind of accidental echo, but completely lacking form and function beyond seeing things and trying to understand the world. In the end, he turned out to be critical to the plot, but it still didn't really work out because there was little to engage the reader to the character to the narrator beyond a witty voice.

Doing it over, I think I could make him more engaging by letting things drop about him, but long-story-short, I think this form is a very difficult proposition. A key trick I've seen would be to keep it short and make it almost rhythmic or poetic in its presentation, without becoming an outright stanza'd verse. Stephen King did that in the Stand with his presentation of how the Cap'n Trips virus spread. It was a short chapter and moved with it's own kind of separate rhythm from the rest of the story.

Sort of like montage music played behind the writing.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Gruud

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »
Give this article (and its related ones) a read:

http://www.novel-writing-help.com/3rd-person-point-of-view.html

While I've not  seen anyone else talk about using a slidng sale of narrative distance in the way that he describes, the guy's whole site is pretty amazing, so I can't see him being too far out of step with this bit.

Does anyone else have an opinion (or industry knowlede) on that?

Oh, PS, using the method described, what you want to show should probably be "near" one character or another, such that you can give the unknowable stuff for a paragraph or two, then rejoin your POV character and move on with the normal narrative.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
JR Ward does this funky thing where she switches to the villain's point of view and sets it apart with italics. I can't really recommend it though. I skip them or skip through them, find them boring, and somehow a cheat. I did it recently in a small, small (less the 250 words) for a villain who remained unknown, but I wanted to get a certain....shall we say disturbing creepiness to his history so the reader is questioning all the characters and wonder who this creep really is on the pages.

On the other hand, I loved the idea of a point of view from a true inanimate object--like a rock, a tree, a mountain or something. Don't think you meant that, but I'd really like to see it...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 06:44:09 AM »
Thanks every one,

The story involves a steam explosion of a locomotive boiler. There are things that the reader needs to know that no one in the narrative observes. In order to bring tension to the story, the relentless progression to catastrophe needs to be shown to the reader, while the protagonists of the story remain oblivious.

I have seen it done in disaster stories, like a dam bursting, or a ship running on to the rocks. I am looking for other examples to refine the method.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:51:33 AM »
I can't off the top of my head remember a story with an inanimate narrator although I am sure I have read some at some time. I have read authors that have used throw away narrators such as insects or small animals ( a literal "fly on the wall"). Some are awkward but some do a good job.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »
i did somthing similar at the start of one book where an anonimuse observer was describing the said event

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »
Thanks,
It has been lots of help. I just had to kick the story back in priority... a couple of new projects jumped the line.

Regards,
Kevin

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
Thanks,
It has been lots of help. I just had to kick the story back in priority... a couple of new projects jumped the line.

Regards,
Kevin

Don't they always?  ;D

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »
Well I am back to this one. I think I will run all of the Narrative stuff as italics, and try to keep them short.
Thanks again,
Kevin

Don't they always?  ;D

Craig

Offline R. S. Leergaard

• Posty McPostington
  • I ink, therefore I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »
I've used myself (The Author) as a narrator type to put in random details (in an MST3000ish sort of way), but that was in a humorous setting. I'm not sure how well that would work in a more serious setting.

In a different story I have a town square where variou factions meet to discuss things without being overheard by others (noise of the fountain, etc). However, there is also a plum tree there, and when no one else is around, Ipsalee (a plum in the tree) and the fountain discuss what they've heard everyone else talking about. This is probably also better used in a humor setting, but these are a couple ways I got around giving readers details the characters don't know about each other.
Dance on, md

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »
Thanks every one,

The story involves a steam explosion of a locomotive boiler. There are things that the reader needs to know that no one in the narrative observes. In order to bring tension to the story, the relentless progression to catastrophe needs to be shown to the reader, while the protagonists of the story remain oblivious.

I have seen it done in disaster stories, like a dam bursting, or a ship running on to the rocks. I am looking for other examples to refine the method.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Sounds like it could be a classic "Little Did He Know" opprotunity. Is there a character nearby that could be used as a branching point?  Somthing like "he was running for his life, oblivious to the fact that..."  or maybe "If he hadnt been distracted by the view of the countryside, he might have noticed..."

Another option is to do it in a flashback (if your narrative allows for it), perhaps as some investigator is piecing together the series of events after the fact. 

Or you could add a supporting Red Shirt Character to witness the events, then fail to warn other people in time and/or die in the explosion.  Certainly would build tension, but a death that personal may not be the tone you want to strike at that point in the story. 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain