Author Topic: Help me out: Video game characters DFRPG style  (Read 16093 times)

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Help me out: Video game characters DFRPG style
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
Like it.  Tweaked it and threw it onto her. 

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
The Omni-tool should be at -1 refresh as currently priced you also seem to have given it two weapon ratings 0 and 2 (sorry knit picky). Other than that I am not sure but wouldn't non-selective hexing annoy Samus and Hk-47 who are reliant on future tec. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:47:23 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 08:50:38 PM »
Mega-Man, too. 

Adjusted the crunch.  The Hexing won't be indiscriminate (hence, I suspect, the increase in Refresh cost).

Anyone have thoughts for any of the other characters?

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »
I posted a lot about Link.

I can write him up, but he is my favorite so I'll need some careful watching.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
Lots of IOPs, I presume?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »
I wrote up a custom power that represents an Item Of Power collection a while back. It's not yet been tested, but I'm about to use it in a PbP game.

It'd probably be appropriate for Link. (That may be the worst pun I've ever made.)

Unfortunately, much as I like writing characters, I don't know enough about most of these characters to make a respectable attempt.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »
Link
HC: The Hero of Hyrule; (Hero of Time is also applicable - gives him common ground with Prince of Persia

TA: I'm Just a Kid

Other Aspects: Navi says hey, listen!; The Master Sword, Puzzles and Dungeons and Moblins, Oh My!; Triforce of Courage;

Aspect options: princess magnet; always prepared (signifying his gear)

Skills:
+5  Weapons, Athletics
+4 Alertness, Conviction
+3 Endurance, Discipline
+2  Performance, Survival (handles riding a horse), Scholarship
+1 Empathy, Stealth, Might, Resources

Powers/Stunts:

Bows Are Weapons Too (Weapons): Moves bows trapping from guns to weapons -1
Shield Bearer (Weapons): +1 armor while wielding a shield -1
Big Bag of Tricks (Might): +2 to make declarations about gear carried on his person -1
Combat Demolitionist (Weapons ): Someone else rewrite this.  i really don't see a way to make most bombs any different from grenades. Which do not require a stunt. -1 

IoP: The Master Sword ( -0? )
It is what it is: A well crafted broadsword
One Time Discount: +2
Indestructible
Weapon Rating: 3
True Aim: +1 to weapon rolls when keeping with the sword's purpose.  (banishing darkness (evil) from the world.) -1
Trappings of The Goddess -1 ( treats beings opposed to the Goddesses of Creation as if their toughness is one step lower)

-6 refresh spent so far - need a way to have potions could put him at -8 or 9 refresh then.

Pockets Full of Potions (Reskinned Ritual Crafting to be potions only and adds in two aditional potion slots) - 2 (hard to have him make his own potions [and have them be worthwhile]) and still be decent at fighting.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:14:14 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 09:24:34 PM »
I wrote up a custom power that represents an Item Of Power collection a while back. It's not yet been tested, but I'm about to use it in a PbP game.

It'd probably be appropriate for Link. (That may be the worst pun I've ever made.)

Unfortunately, much as I like writing characters, I don't know enough about most of these characters to make a respectable attempt.

I like it, but it might make him too good.  He could have he answer to every problem all by himself.  I think it is very appropriate.  I just think for what HobbitGuy needs it may make the other characters feel less useful.  Link is a Marty Stu (Marry Sue).  This power helps him be that.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:57 PM »
I don't think it's all that powerful, actually. You have to forfeit the IoP rebate to use it, and it taxes you 1 Refresh. It reduces power pretty harshly in exchange for flexibility.

I don't know how clean the tradeoff is, but I suspect that Link would be stronger with just one IoP.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 09:31:21 PM »
I don't think it's all that powerful, actually. You have to forfeit the IoP rebate to use it, and it taxes you 1 Refresh. It reduces power pretty harshly in exchange for flexibility.

I don't know how clean the tradeoff is, but I suspect that Link would be stronger with just one IoP.

Were you referring to tracing?

EDIT: see below

I thought tracing would fit better.  So he can make bombs and boomerangs etc.

Never mind...you meant item of power collection.  I think it works fine, but having only 10 refresh to spend might make it hard to make it useful.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:38:32 PM by Silverblaze »

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of "+1 attack when wielding ________" stunts, so I'll leave that one out for now. 

Regarding items of power, that sort of depends on which Link we use.  I want it to be one of the child versions, for variety's sake.  I'm more familiar with the Ocarina/Majora version, but I suspect that the powers of the Baton of Winds will be easier to stat out and less likely to overpower and/or cost too much. He definitely needs the Master Sword and whatever magic song doodad he gets.  The boomerang can be mundane.  The Hookshot... Well, that's probably an IoP, too. Any other distinctly fantastical or magical items he *must* have?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »
- tempted to copy a sword of the cross but I don't feel it should have ACAEBG
I'd say instead of that, something sort of like the Faerie magics, where when the Master Sword is used against a particular type of baddie (either Ganon's minions, or anything that's truly evil), its Toughness powers are a step lower.

Also, swordbeams.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of "+1 attack when wielding ________" stunts, so I'll leave that one out for now. 

Regarding items of power, that sort of depends on which Link we use.  I want it to be one of the child versions, for variety's sake.  I'm more familiar with the Ocarina/Majora version, but I suspect that the powers of the Baton of Winds will be easier to stat out and less likely to overpower and/or cost too much. He definitely needs the Master Sword and whatever magic song doodad he gets.  The boomerang can be mundane.  The Hookshot... Well, that's probably an IoP, too. Any other distinctly fantastical or magical items he *must* have?

Bow and Arrow can be mundane ifwe give him silver tipped ones : he usually has an ammo selection.

Potions are in every game. 

Bombs are in everygame.

Super Strength gauntlets or bracelets are in every game.

Let's face it.  Link requires too much refresh to make perfectly.  IoP's only grant a refresh rebate once.  He will be very hard to make...and make accurately...and balanced.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
Maybe give him a high Resources roll (the boy finds a lot of Rupees), and a stunt to reflect his tendency to find cool shit in dungeons similar to the Windfall stunt.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
Bombs can be mundane, I figure. Give him a Combat Demolitionist stunt to let him set 'em, give him a limited number of them, and we're golden.

Or perhaps a point or two of refresh to go toward his consumables as enchanted items or potions...