Author Topic: Promoting your work  (Read 1981 times)

Offline V3N0M

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Graveyard Blues By Reina Salt
Promoting your work
« on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:12 AM »
Hi guys.  Ever since my fiancée bought me a copy of Storm Front for Christmas a couple of years back, I've been hooked!  She's really good at recommending books I'll love and she was spot on with Jim!

My fiancée has written a book which she has published on Kindle via Amazon.com.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips or guidance on how best to promote it?  I personally think it's a great book, regardless of the fact that she wrote it.  It's a supernatural horror, based in and around Washington State, but I'd like to help her promote it to get it to as big an audience as possible.  She worked so hard on it and crafted such an awesome world and characters that I want as many people as possible to enjoy it. The link on my profile is the link to her amazon page for it in case you want to read the blurb (or hopefully buy a copy).  If anyone can suggest anything, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
My fiancée has written and published her first novel on kindle.  Check out my webpage for the link.  I hope you buy it and enjoy it.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline V3N0M

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Graveyard Blues By Reina Salt
Re: Promoting your work
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Thank you Craig!  I took some time off work this afternoon to have a little look-see and find out what I could (and watch some Walking dead) so I know what I'll be reading! 

Thanks again :)  Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.  Also, be sure to check out the sample from Amazon.
My fiancée has written and published her first novel on kindle.  Check out my webpage for the link.  I hope you buy it and enjoy it.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:56:10 AM »
Hi guys.  Ever since my fiancée bought me a copy of Storm Front for Christmas a couple of years back, I've been hooked!  She's really good at recommending books I'll love and she was spot on with Jim!

My fiancée has written a book which she has published on Kindle via Amazon.com.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips or guidance on how best to promote it?  I personally think it's a great book, regardless of the fact that she wrote it.  It's a supernatural horror, based in and around Washington State, but I'd like to help her promote it to get it to as big an audience as possible.  She worked so hard on it and crafted such an awesome world and characters that I want as many people as possible to enjoy it. The link on my profile is the link to her amazon page for it in case you want to read the blurb (or hopefully buy a copy).  If anyone can suggest anything, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

I looked in your profile and couldn't see any links to anywhere.  So can't help with that.

From my own experience, there's a place on the kdp.amazon.com site where you create or edit your book, that lets you put in up to 7? keywords for your book.  I would tend to think keywords are key, and picking the right ones very important.

Anyway other than that, reviews, reviews, reviews.  Preferabbly from people who are highly rated amazon reviewers, IMO.  But I've only been out a couple days so what do I know?

Best of luck to your girl.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
A few more suggestions:
-Build a great website and link to it wherever it's allowed
-Take out an eye-catching ad on a site that reviews/discusses similar books
-Offer free copies to reviewers
-Contact local libraries and independent booksellers; offer to do readings/signings
-Have a book signing party and invite everyone you know (doesn't really work if it's only available as a e-book)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Donna

• Participant
  • Always look on the bright side of life...
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:06:46 AM »
I'm trying to help a friend publicize his series.  So far, with not much success.  They've been selling a bit, but not as much as he'd hoped.

About reviewers.  Any idea where to find them?  I'd like to find some blogs/sites that review or feature mysteries with urban fantasy and humorous elements.  And that get enough traffic to be helpful.

I've noticed authors review each other's books or at least provide blurbs, but how do you go about asking without annoying someone or putting them on the spot?*  Would it be best to approach an author he's met or corresponded with? 

*Yes, I know not to ask Jim Butcher :)  I bet he has loads of people asking, if they're brave or foolish enough, besides the writers he knows and is willing to give a blurb or a plug.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.